DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-20-2010, 07:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
phillymac23 is on a distinguished road
Default Aftermarket Alarm System

The wife and I traded in our 2007 Durango for a 2010 Ram 1500 ST crew cab. We looked at a SLT model but it didn't have the Hemi and we have a travel trailer we pull and the SLT was also a quad and the wife didn't like the room in the back for the kids. It doesn't have an alarm or keyless entry so we have been looking into an aftermarket alarm.

I called the Dodge dealer service department today and ask them if an aftermarket alarm would void my warranty and they said yes. They said they had a Caravan they sold new that the customer had a Viper alarm installed on it and the installer fried almost every computer in the Van. They said it was thousands of dollars of damage and it was not covered. He looked in the computer and said he doesn't see a factory alarm available but he could put the remote start in it and that may also give me keyless entry. We aren't sure what to do I want the features of an aftermarket but don't want to void anything. Has anyone else run into this dilemma?
Sponsored links
Old 08-20-2010, 07:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: RootBeer
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

The problem with an aftermarket is not necessarily that it "will" void the warranty. But if there is an electrical problem that comes up, your aftermarket installed system could be blamed, especially if done sloppily like the one in the van.

Are you looking for the alarm or just the keyless entry? Personally, I think alarm systems are totally useless unless they disable the ignition and can't be bypassed. Remote start is nice as well as the keyless entry which is handy.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 08-20-2010, 08:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Being a mechanic , I've run into several occasions where a vehicle won't start and it's due to a alarm system that someone had installed . With all the electronics on todays vehicles , I wouldn't do it . Even if the guy at Best Buy says he hasn't had a problem . My father had a system installed on his Dakota . It worked for a while then went on the blink . He asked me to look at it and it made no sense to me . He stopped by and got a copy of the wiring diagram they went by . What in the world is this ? It's as they said , their own words , "Their generic wiring diagram" . NO wonder .
Old 08-22-2010, 03:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Trim Level: SXT
Color: Light Greystone Pearl
wecoyote is on a distinguished road

I have had the same delema. I have a 2010 ST (SXT) crew cab 4x4. From what I have found, there are two alternatives that reduce the risk of screwing something up.

If your truck as electric locks and power windows, from what I have read on this forum is that you can install the mopar remote start system. You will need to have the dealer add XBM and GXM sales codes added to the truck with the scan tool. The Mopar unit part number is 82212194. It includes remotes and everythig is plug-and-play.

The second alternative is to install an aftermarket system using the "EVO-CHR" interface. If you go to the maker's web-site you can see it being used in a Dodge Nitro http://www.bypassevolution.com/ . I think once you install this, you can connect your aftermarket system to this unit which "talks" to the truck.

Let us know what you decide.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpcorliss View Post
I have had the same delema. I have a 2010 ST (SXT) crew cab 4x4. From what I have found, there are two alternatives that reduce the risk of screwing something up.

If your truck as electric locks and power windows, from what I have read on this forum is that you can install the mopar remote start system. You will need to have the dealer add XBM and GXM sales codes added to the truck with the scan tool. The Mopar unit part number is 82212194. It includes remotes and everythig is plug-and-play.

The second alternative is to install an aftermarket system using the "EVO-CHR" interface. If you go to the maker's web-site you can see it being used in a Dodge Nitro http://www.bypassevolution.com/ . I think once you install this, you can connect your aftermarket system to this unit which "talks" to the truck.

Let us know what you decide.
I took at look at this device, if used can you install the alarm yourself? Looks like you plug in the T harness then plug the alarm directly into that no wire splicing. I'd love to do that and pay $250 instead of $600 I'b getting quoted. I found the device on Amazon for $60 and the alarm the local car stereo place is quoting for $139.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
hector22 is on a distinguished road

When i had my 09 Ram ST, I took it to Best Buy and had a Viper alarm with keyless entry put on with no problems at all. I had no warranty problems either.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Trim Level: SXT
Color: Light Greystone Pearl
wecoyote is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillymac23 View Post
I took at look at this device, if used can you install the alarm yourself? Looks like you plug in the T harness then plug the alarm directly into that no wire splicing. I'd love to do that and pay $250 instead of $600 I'b getting quoted. I found the device on Amazon for $60 and the alarm the local car stereo place is quoting for $139.

I believe that is the case. If you put in the EVO-CHR then you need to wire the remote start to the unit. The interface to the car (except for +12V, GND and Parking lights) is done through the unit. I think you can pick any remote you would like from there.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpcorliss View Post
I believe that is the case. If you put in the EVO-CHR then you need to wire the remote start to the unit. The interface to the car (except for +12V, GND and Parking lights) is done through the unit. I think you can pick any remote you would like from there.
Thanks for the info, I guess I'll be trying this myself. The local car store said they won't install anything unless it's purchased from them. I can't justify to the wife an extra $300+.