DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-31-2010, 11:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxFBODYgen3 View Post
I need to comment on this as I have a problem you listed above...

I have multiple missfires and ive spent alot of money trying to fix the problem. My truck only has 35K on it and ive never towed anything heavy(more then 3k). My only "beating" on the truck is I get pissed that the thing doesnt downshift and I just give it more gas to force it to downshift when I want it too. Other then that I baby this truck.

I love dodge trucks but unfortunately I cant afford to keep fixing this motor so I need to find something else. Worst part is I still owe alot of money on this truck so Idk where to go now.

Just to note: so far ive replaced all plugs...and had the injectors, and fuel pump/pickup replace. The later not being by choice but the truck was leaking gas somehow and my mechanic said thats what it needed. Personally I think im getting pushed around on how to fix the problems.

As much as Id hate to say it...im looking at getting trading my truck in for a newer style tahoe...as much as I love dodge trucks this truck has left a VERY sour taste.
With the mileage being that low, why have you not tried to get Chrysler to goodwill the repair?
Sponsored links
Old 09-01-2010, 01:19 AM

Vehicle: 2004 dodge ram 1500 quadcab
Trim Level: SLE
Color: forrest green two tone
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:83
angshan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMROD5 View Post
i got a wierd noise turning left and braking, now its getting louder under normal driving. its the wheel bearing hubs on my rig
I think mine are the hubs but it only makes the noise at slow speeds and doesnt matter which way I turn. kinda like a wir wir wir noise.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:14 AM

Vehicle: 03 Ram QC , 08 CSRT4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Rep:43
kmdracer is on a distinguished road

I can give the OP some info as he requested...
In 2002, I bought a 2003 QC with the 4.7/a5. It had 27 miles on it when I bought it. All service was done by the dealer until 100,000 miles. During that time, I had no abnormal issues (other than a leaking third brake light gasket that was replaced under warranty).
After 100,000 miles, I started doing the service myself, keeping to the recommended service schedule. At 165,000 miles, while returning from vacation, my oil pressure dropped to zero. I shut the engine off, coasted to a stop and checked the oil..Hmm.. oils full, maybe the gauge stopped working? Restarted the engine, now have pressure. While accelerating back onto the freeway, oil pressure dropped again. I shut it off, and called a friend to tow me home. Pulled the engine out. No sludge buildup in the heads, but lots in the pan. Yep, I was hit by the sludge clogging the oil pick up. I rebuilt the motor (actually had a friend do it) and reinstalled it. Now, I run 5w40 Mobil 1 synthetic oil. Currently at 195,000 miles, and no further problems.

I wish I had found out about the sludge issue when the truck was new. Unfortunately, I wasn't active on this board then.

If I bought a used 4.7 that I didn't know the history of, I would definitely flush the oil system to remove build up, and ONLY run synthetic oil in it thereafter.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:21 AM

RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdracer View Post
If I bought a used 4.7 that I didn't know the history of, I would definitely flush the oil system to remove build up, and ONLY run synthetic oil in it thereafter.
Flushing is a BAD idea. A flush will break loose a lot of sludge and what sludge doesn't come out will wind up in the pickup screen. Removing the pan is the best solution to a problem like this.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:32 PM

Vehicle: 03 Ram QC , 08 CSRT4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Rep:43
kmdracer is on a distinguished road

You're right Ram Tech. I had actually meant to put in to remove the pan after the flush, but simply forgot.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:06 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ford F-150
Trim Level: XLT
Color: Metallic Blue
Rep:91
bigdaddyII will become famous soon enough

I have been running synthetic since I bought my truck with 111,000 miles on it. Up to 135,000 now and no problems yet. I am more concerned with the head gasket situation. I never ran it hot, but the radiator did blow up on me a couple weeks back. It had been leaking for a while and finally let go. Replaced and all is well now. I think the hemis are the ones dropping valves though.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:26 PM

I've seen a few valve springs break on the first gen 5.7 Hemi but the springs have since been upgraded. As for dropping valves, I'm sure it's happened but I haven't seen one for myself.