DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-21-2010, 08:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2007-???? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:10
lancinator is on a distinguished road
Default DPF delete with superchips

has anyone out there ever done a DPF delete with a superchip programmer? if so, then how?
Sponsored links
Old 08-21-2010, 07:24 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3236
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

I can't say I've ever heard of a DPF delete being done with a superchips, I didn't think it supported that. For the 6.7L, the Black MAXX or Mini MAXX from H&S Performance is probably one of the best ways to do a DPF delete.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

79ta is on a distinguished road

I've done a dpf delete with a smarty jr programmer and it works great. No knowledge of anyone doing a dpf delete with a superchip programmer.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

lancinator is on a distinguished road

I called superchips and i have the 3808 programmer and he said that it can't be done with this programmer but for $500 and some change that they had one that would.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:47 PM

Vehicle: 2002 2500 5.9 360
Trim Level: slt laramie
Color: grey,silver twotone
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:27
Jayhawk320 is on a distinguished road

smarty is the only chip you can do it with without the CHANCE of throwing a hard code. the H&S chips are nice but it the truck is still under warranty it won't be for long lol.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: slt
Color: blue
mmacdonald is on a distinguished road

some one help me understand...

I am trying to get a clear handle on the dpf delete...I talked to my dealer about some other issues I am having with my 2010 and I asked if there was a way to tell how full the dpf was...didn't want to get into some of the situations I have read on this forum. He said he didn't know of any..he stated that if I didn't use it as a HD Truck it would plug the filter and could cause turbo failure. He stated he has never seen one fail due to the truck, they fail because of the driver being to easy on it. I have had a good relationship with them thus far and just asked how strict they were going to be if I removed it. (I don't plan to drag/truck pull or abuse this truck- just average towing and looking for fuel mileage improvement by opening the air flow ) He said that it would void everything associated with the drivetrain including the trans and rearend. I asked him what he would recommend to keep the dpf from having problems..the told me to run the s%$t out of the truck every chance I got. So I wanted to make sure I got this correct...his advice to me was not to change anything to improve air flow or egr removal...(which are things that would be easier on the truck) but to go out and abuse it...he also recommended driving it in 5 gear as often as possible to keep the rpms up to keep it hot...he also said I could kiss my fuel mileage goodbye...so don't understand how burning more fuel is better for the environment....oh well any advise...
Old 12-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:85
RamItAll will become famous soon enough

(with what i know in a nutshell) basically the dpf system collects the "soot" from your engine. to work properly it has to get hot enough, or it fails. it was designed for a HD truck. so unless you're towing 10000 lbs daily, dpf will kill your truck. and with good mileage on your truck (especailly over 100k) turbos will blow constantly, amongst other problems. best thing is to just run the truck ,then when that warranty goes, the dpf should too. H&S performance sells dpf delete and egr delete kits along with 3 different programmers to relieve code throwing. (xrt, black maxx & mini maxx) i checked out the xrt last night and it seems to be the better one IMO. also the xrt disables the egr WIHOUT removing any components.

im thinking about a cummins over a hemi in the spring if i can find the right deal, so ive been studying up more and more on this just in case i find a 6.7.

if anyone can clear it up or correct any vague or misleading statments ive made please do.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:42 PM

Vehicle: 2002 2500 5.9 360
Trim Level: slt laramie
Color: grey,silver twotone
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:27
Jayhawk320 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmacdonald View Post
some one help me understand...

I am trying to get a clear handle on the dpf delete...I talked to my dealer about some other issues I am having with my 2010 and I asked if there was a way to tell how full the dpf was...didn't want to get into some of the situations I have read on this forum. He said he didn't know of any..he stated that if I didn't use it as a HD Truck it would plug the filter and could cause turbo failure. He stated he has never seen one fail due to the truck, they fail because of the driver being to easy on it. I have had a good relationship with them thus far and just asked how strict they were going to be if I removed it. (I don't plan to drag/truck pull or abuse this truck- just average towing and looking for fuel mileage improvement by opening the air flow ) He said that it would void everything associated with the drivetrain including the trans and rearend. I asked him what he would recommend to keep the dpf from having problems..the told me to run the s%$t out of the truck every chance I got. So I wanted to make sure I got this correct...his advice to me was not to change anything to improve air flow or egr removal...(which are things that would be easier on the truck) but to go out and abuse it...he also recommended driving it in 5 gear as often as possible to keep the rpms up to keep it hot...he also said I could kiss my fuel mileage goodbye...so don't understand how burning more fuel is better for the environment....oh well any advise...

I may be wrong, but i believe that 2009+ has the new feature where if you were to plug any type of chip into OBD2 the truck goes into "limp" mode until it is reset by the dealer...thus voiding the warranty. i may be wrong but that is what i've been told.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:47 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3236
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk320 View Post
I may be wrong, but i believe that 2009+ has the new feature where if you were to plug any type of chip into OBD2 the truck goes into "limp" mode until it is reset by the dealer...thus voiding the warranty. i may be wrong but that is what i've been told.
Can't say this is true. I know plenty of guys running gassers and oil burners with chips/tunes and no 'limp' mode. This may have been something a dealership told a customer to prevent them from doing it, cuz it's certainly not true.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:27 PM

79ta is on a distinguished road

This is true as the aftermarket programmers are year specific. The computer guru's were able to overcome the non-programmable issue. There are many reputable companies out there with great products for our late model cummins engines. I chose smarty because my sons friend recommended it and had it on his 2006 5.9. I did some research before buying and mads electronics (the maker of smarty) has alot of experience with cummins and the power that's made with the programmer is safe at all levels. I did the dpf delete and left the egr system intact with the smarty jr (loaded with the me software) and just unplugged a connector on the egr valve under the intake. The software in this programmer turns the dpf and egr systems off and I can return to stock in about 2 hours without a trace. My truck was built in August of 2009 and was said to have some sort of non-programmable computer. The deletes were done with just 1500 miles on the odometer and I haven't had 1 issue. I was looking for more power and the sound that the 6 cylinder cummins makes through a 4" straight exhaust. Also, after the deletes, my mileage went from 17mpg to 22mpg+, not too shabby. Good luck.