DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-21-2010, 05:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 09 Ram 1500 Reg Cab SB
Trim Level: SLT w/5.7 and 3.92
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:112
HoustonHemi will become famous soon enoughHoustonHemi will become famous soon enough
Default Add Cabin Air Filter to 4th Gen for less than $20

I found some info about this mod on another forum, so I did a write up there with pictures. Here is a copy of that write up:

As many of you know, Dodge decided that our 4th Gen RAMS do not need cabin air filtration.

I disagree.

Fortunately enough, it is very easy and rather inexpensive to add this feature to our RAMS.

TOOLS NEEDED:

(1) Sharp boxcutter or X-acto

PARTS NEEDED:

(1) Filter box 'lid'. Dodge part number 68052292AA (About $11)
(1) Cabin Air Filter. Dodge part number 5058693AA, OR, Purolater C25869 ($7), Hastings HAAF1328, or Wix 24578

(These parts are all "OEM" for a 2010 Dodge Avenger, Caliber, Compass, etc. They will not be found by searching in any parts book under 'Dodge Ram'!)

Step 1. Remove lower glove box by gently pulling inward on both sides where the 'ears' are.

Step 2. Locate the filter slot area, which is shaped like a short, fat "T". Using the sharp tool of your choice, cut out the area just inside of the "T". You do not need to cut out the lower 'leg' of the "T", just go straight across. (Refer to pic)

Step 3. Slide in filter with airflow arrow pointing down. The filter, when properly installed, will protrude outside of the slot some. It will not be 'flush'.

Step 4. 'Snap' on the lid. You will need to press on the little 'ears' on each end of the lid (marked with blue tape in pic) until you hear a 'click'. This 'locks' the lid into place.

Step 5. Re-install glove box, and done!

The only "hard' part is trimming out the slot, but the material is pretty thin,,, Just take your time,,,

Future servicing of this filter is super easy!!! Takes about 2 minutes, most of which will be spent emptying the glovebox!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cabin Air Install 001.jpg (94.5 KB, 2101 views)
File Type: jpg Cabin Air Install 003.jpg (70.7 KB, 2049 views)
File Type: jpg Cabin Air Install 005.jpg (71.3 KB, 2171 views)
File Type: jpg Cabin Air Install 006.jpg (64.9 KB, 2125 views)
File Type: jpg Cabin Air Install 007.jpg (73.1 KB, 2126 views)
File Type: jpg Cabin Air Install 013.jpg (72.6 KB, 2097 views)
Sponsored links
Old 08-21-2010, 05:26 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

That is a superb idea! Kudos to you for coming up with this!
Old 08-21-2010, 05:35 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2463
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

WTG on putting this thread up. I had no idea we did not have this in our RAMs. Definitely worth putting one in. Thanks.. Reps for this......
Old 08-21-2010, 05:38 PM

HoustonHemi will become famous soon enoughHoustonHemi will become famous soon enough

Eh, well, I can't take credit for the mod as I found the info on another forum.

BUT, it is a pretty slick way to add what I feel should be 'standard equipment' on our RAMS!!!

The information I found was posted by a Dodge tech who had a 2010 RAM 2500 'ranch truck' come in with 16k miles on it and a plugged up A/C evaporator. He had to disassemble the whole ventilation system and clean it all up,,,, Big $$$,,,

Anyway, he got to looking at the ductwork, and as they say, "The Rest is History!!!"

I understand the Challengers (or was it Chargers) have a similar mod they can do as Dodge decided they didn't need cabin air filtration either,,,

Rans, I'm 'right there with ya',,, I thought for sure the RAM would have a C A F,,,, (Why not? My 00 Silvy and the wifes 02 Accord had/have one!!!)

When I found out the RAMS don't have a cabin air filter, I researched the subject and came up with a alternative 'fix' from the 'cab fresh filter company'. They actually have a filtration system that attaches to the 'outside' of the RAMs ventilation system intake grills, located on the top of the firewall just under the rear edge of the hood.

They have 2 layers of polyester 'filter' material and a layer of activated charcoal. I ordered the set up direct from cab fresh for about $60. Replacement filter media was about 17 bucks.

I have a pic that kind of shows the cab fresh set up below.

Of course, now that I can have a "OEM' paper filter system, I'll probably won't use the cab fresh system anymore after their filters fill up.

FWIW, Cab fresh DOES make a similar system for the 3rd Gen RAMS. (Thats how I 'found them')
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Catch Can Install 005.jpg (74.3 KB, 914 views)

Last edited by HoustonHemi; 08-21-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:03 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Great how-to. for that.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 08-21-2010, 06:05 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:145
sowardcustoms will become famous soon enoughsowardcustoms will become famous soon enough

Great job!!!
Old 08-21-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowardcustoms View Post
Great job!!!
I remember when your research and information with both pics and part numbers made it possible for me to get rid of that %^$#& rattle I had!!!!

Hopefully, this write up might help you out some,,,
Old 08-21-2010, 11:26 PM

Rep:1625
City Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant future

Great job! Very nice
Old 08-27-2010, 12:04 PM

sowardcustoms will become famous soon enoughsowardcustoms will become famous soon enough

There's a guy on ebay selling this as a kit for $99.00...says using mopar parts...
Old 08-27-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHemi View Post
I remember when your research and information with both pics and part numbers made it possible for me to get rid of that %^$#& rattle I had!!!!

Hopefully, this write up might help you out some,,,
It did indeed I ordered the parts thanks...