DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!
Total Load Control!
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
FGT Motorsport
Bayou Goat Mounts
tonneaucovered.com
Mopar Online Parts!

Old 08-23-2015, 10:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: silver
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:17
trux is on a distinguished road
Default transmission/ rear end noise

Hello, I am new here and I hope this has not been discussed. Sorry for the lengthy post.
We have two opinions going on. One saying this noise is coming from the output shaft on the trany and the other saying it is coming from the rear of the truck.
Truck is 2010 Ram ST, 2 wheel drive, 4.7.
The noise originally sounded like brake pads where stuck to the rotor on the rear of truck, replaced rear pads and the noise changed to kind of a rock in the hubcap noise.
U joints were worn, but not all that bad, replaced them anyway and the noise changed to more of grinding like a bearing. When he turns off the traction control, the noise gets louder. We jacked up the rear, and there does not seem to be any play in the wheel. I have never heard a transmission noise like this, but that doesn't mean it is not from the trans.
We checked with dealer and pinion recall has been done. Each time we tried something, the noise has changed.
I sure hope someone here can help with this. Thank you for your time.
Sponsored links
Old 08-23-2015, 10:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default Audio link

My son recorded this video for the noise it is making. The link is

Please let me know if anyone has any ideas on what it could be.
Thanks
Old 08-23-2015, 11:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500/2016 Ram
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl, both trucks !!
Rep:2737
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

i would take it to a Brake & Alignment shop
ask them to do an inspection, they usually do it for free, hoping to get your business

2016 Ram 3.0 diesel undergoing Mods G2 tonneau, Line-X, Weathertech mats, Mag-Hytec differential cover, , customized Nfab bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router
Old 08-24-2015, 01:22 AM

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

Towards the end of the video I see what looks to be gear oil on the under body of the bed around the pinion seal. Most likely from the pinion nut being loose and ruining the seal. Can't comment on the transmission tail shaft/yoke without being there physically. It's a good guess you fall into the buy back program. If you plan to keep your truck get it fixed. But if you have second thoughts you may want to wait around to hear the details of the program. You don't have to be the original owner to qualify. Not to mention, if it's been fixed once before for the same thing you definitely qualify. While up in the air like that you should be able to shake pinion up and down without the engine running. Either by turning the tire back and fourth by hand or grabbing the drive shaft/yoke area and twisting it back and forth.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I forgot to add that we did try shaking the pinion up and down, but it did not move. I think he tried turning the driveshaft back and forth (at the pinion yoke) and he said it was tight.
My son did call about the buy back program and they said we do not qualify.
We were trying not to take it back to dealer because they charge 115.00 to check it, if it is not part of the original recall.
Thank you for replying to this.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:21 PM

RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

If your pinion nut was never or repaired and broke again it is covered. And even though your pinion seems tight to you, there is still signs of a leaking pinion sealer plain as day in the video.

Last edited by RadioFlyer; 08-24-2015 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thank you RadioFlyer, I will try to get to the dealer in the morning. I will let you know what happens.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trux View Post
Thank you RadioFlyer, I will try to get to the dealer in the morning. I will let you know what happens.
If you have to call FCA and get them involved. I was told by them that some of the pinion nut recalls involved faulty pinion nut repairs as well as open repairs like mine that were never repaired. good luck top ya and you're welcome!
Old 09-01-2015, 01:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Sorry it has taken so long to write again, didn't have internet for a while. Went to dealer and they said they do not remove or replace the pinion seal so it would not be covered in a repair. I had planned to call FCA, but other son keep saying the noise is transmission. Son took it to transmission shop and they said the noise is bearing and something else in transmission. (can't remember what son told me). So, I am getting my truck owner son to take it to at least another trans shop to see if told the same thing or not. So, if I ever get a real answer to this problem, I will let everyone know what this kind of sound is. Thanks again for help with this.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:16 AM

Vehicle: 2010 RAM 1500 SLT 4X4 HEMI
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
HighSierra is on a distinguished road

Did you check to see if the pinion nut recall had been done on your truck, or if it applied?