DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram MPG Zone

Notices

Dodge Ram MPG Zone Discuss your MPG woes and helpful hints here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-15-2015, 08:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2015 Ram 2500
Rep:10
Caitlyn Byrne is on a distinguished road
Default Driving Habits & MPG

So, this is my first truck, and as expected MPG is ... abysmal

So I have a question for the more experienced:

In city driving:
Is it better to accelerate slowly, but for longer;
-or-
Is it better to accelerate quickly, but for shorter?

Or does it not matter a lick?

Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 01-15-2015, 10:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
ProfessorRepo is on a distinguished road

I noticed that when I pay attention and try to get good gas mileage on city or highway I end up doing a lot worse than when I don't pay attention at all. I get about 16 in the city (stock everything) and about 19 ~ 20 on the highway. I always make sure im in 2 wheel drive (unless the conditions call for something more). I try not to gun it and most of the time I look down I am in ECO mode (especially on the highway).

For city driving the trick I use is trying to use the brake as little as possible. If I am behind someone I will coast a little bit before applying my brake instead of applying it then speeding up only to apply it again in 5 seconds. A friend of mine (physics professor) turned me on to it and I have gotten good results. (He is one of the extreme hyper milers who will shut off his car while coasting to save a few sips. hes a little out there but the advice about the breaks helped me out a lot.)
Old 01-16-2015, 08:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 QC 4x4
Trim Level: Bighorn Edition
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:126
wolfman01 will become famous soon enoughwolfman01 will become famous soon enough

I keep my speeds in check, let the truck's momentum carry it forward as much as possible, coast as much as possible up to red lights, and ultimately try to stay out of lanes where people are slowing every block to turn off the road I'm on. I don't idle in the driveway in the summer (ya almost have to in the winter where I live), and stay out of the drive thru.

This will be where you net your biggest improvements in city mileage.
1995 Tiffin Allegro Bay (46k)
1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cierra (97k)
Old 02-07-2015, 02:37 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Black Express 1500
Trim Level: Express
Rep:22
FlashmasterK is on a distinguished road

I was told long ago to drive like there is an egg under your gas pedal and try and not break the egg! I get 17-18 in town and 21-22 on the highway if I drive like that. But I have also modded my truck quite a bit.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 (1500 Express)
Trim Level: Express 4x4 LSD
domestique is on a distinguished road

For me my mpg is usually dependant on how fast I hit the pedal from a dead stop. I have the 3.21 gears and the 8 speed transmission. It is pretty easy to get the rpms moving if you have a heavy foot.

At red lights/rolling stop signs, I try to let the truck start moving from a stand still before I get on the gas.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:58 PM
The Sound of Eight Hooves

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Rep:532
Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitlyn Byrne View Post
So, this is my first truck, and as expected MPG is ... abysmal

So I have a question for the more experienced:

In city driving:
Is it better to accelerate slowly, but for longer;
-or-
Is it better to accelerate quickly, but for shorter?

Or does it not matter a lick?

Thanks!
I've found that a good middle ground gets the best mileage. Not so slow that you spend forever getting up to speed, but not so hard that you are turning over 2500RPM.

I think the biggest contributor to good mileage is coasting. I coast when I'm coming up to a light I can see is red, so that I'm not using more gas to get to a stop quicker (never understood why people did that). Plus, a lot of the time the light will turn green by the time you get there and you don't have to come to a stop at all so you get to start at 20 or 30 MPH getting up to speed. I coast to stop signs part of the way, which also saves the brakes and keeps me from stopping hard, and I coast down hills until I need to give just enough gas to maintain speed.
Huskyliner Weatherbeaters, door edge guards, Line-X bedliner, Kryptek Typhon Cordura seat covers w/ MOLLE panels (review), Console Vault (install/review), Bilstein 4600s (thread), BFG T/A KO2 LT275/60/20s (thread), Borla XR-1 (thread).
Old 02-20-2015, 09:21 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Black Express 1500
Trim Level: Express
Rep:22
FlashmasterK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse View Post
I've found that a good middle ground gets the best mileage. Not so slow that you spend forever getting up to speed, but not so hard that you are turning over 2500RPM.

I think the biggest contributor to good mileage is coasting. I coast when I'm coming up to a light I can see is red, so that I'm not using more gas to get to a stop quicker (never understood why people did that). Plus, a lot of the time the light will turn green by the time you get there and you don't have to come to a stop at all so you get to start at 20 or 30 MPH getting up to speed. I coast to stop signs part of the way, which also saves the brakes and keeps me from stopping hard, and I coast down hills until I need to give just enough gas to maintain speed.
^^^

Think of it as every time you hit the brake you are losing money
Old 02-24-2015, 10:59 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:194
Lazarus Truck has a spectacular aura aboutLazarus Truck has a spectacular aura about

The BEST, and CHEAPEST thing you can do is install a vacuum gauge, and learn how to use it! Drive while trying to keep the vacuum as high as possible. This will train you after a while, and make it natural. Youtubes on this.
This is simple physics, and it works. I've said this before in many posts, and many forums, a vacuum gauge is your grandfathers scanner! They work. Learn how to use one! You tube is full of instructional videos on how to troubleshoot with them. The technology changes, but the physics doesn't!