DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-18-2011, 11:26 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:355
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice
Default 180 deg thermostat okay for winter?

I've read a billion threads on 180 deg stats but I still have a question for everyone. I live in northern NC and the average cold temps in winter is probably 15-30 degrees with the really cold nights dipping down a little lower. Is there any reason I would have any problems if I switch to a 180? I'm not willing to switch the thermostat every winter, lol.

Thanks.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Sponsored links
Old 06-18-2011, 12:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: ThunderRoad
Color: Electric Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
BigBlue07 is on a distinguished road

Great question, I've got the same concern about winter temps. I'm in eastern NC but it still gets pretty chilly here. Maybe someone up here can enlighten us...
Old 06-18-2011, 02:33 PM
erm

Won't be a problem. Just make sure you let the truck idle and warm up in the morning before you head down the road. If you don't, you might get a CEL that advises you that your coolant temp is below acceptable limits, especially on short trips.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:53 PM

starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

Thanks for the reply but I'm trying to wrap my head around this and I'm a still a little confused. I think I read somewhere that the engine has to reach 165 degrees...I'm guessing within a certain amount of time....or it will set off the CEL?? I may be totally wrong but I could swear I read that somewhere. If that is correct I don't see how the 180 deg stat could ever possibly set a code. The engine would always be much warmer (15 degrees) than the error limit before the 180 deg stat would be any different than the stock 195. The 180 should warm up to 180 just as fast as the 195 shouldn't it?

A potential problem that I was afraid of was once you get going down the road in 20 degree weather. The 180 shouldn't keep the engine from reaching at least 180 because once again it's no different up to 180 that the 195 right? But what is the chance that once it hits 180 and the stat opens to cool the engine that the cooling system (aided by the cold weather) would actually bring the engine temp back down below 165 and set the CEL?
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:09 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I don't believe it would throw a code...you shouldn't have any issues, from what I read no one else has had any issues. The only way to really know is to do it an monitor your gas mileage, if it is affecting it you'll notice a drop by a few mpg.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:35 PM

Vehicle: 2009 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:713
platinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to beholdplatinuminjected is a splendid one to behold

i wouldnt think it would throw a code either or there would be threads on it lol but there are a few ppl on here that have this with no problem that iv herd of so you should be fine
MODS... tinted windows,cf dash kit,6000 k fogs and low beam,heavy duty rubber mud flaps,recon tails 3rd break,L.E.D liscenceplate,reverse lights,factory side steps,afe intake,bakflip toneau cover,magnaflow exhaust,diablo predator,33' trail grapplers,bilstein 5100's,laminx head/fogs,shorty antenna,
Old 06-20-2011, 02:00 PM
erm

Quote:
Originally Posted by starquestbd22 View Post
Thanks for the reply but I'm trying to wrap my head around this and I'm a still a little confused. I think I read somewhere that the engine has to reach 165 degrees...I'm guessing within a certain amount of time....or it will set off the CEL?? I may be totally wrong but I could swear I read that somewhere. If that is correct I don't see how the 180 deg stat could ever possibly set a code. The engine would always be much warmer (15 degrees) than the error limit before the 180 deg stat would be any different than the stock 195. The 180 should warm up to 180 just as fast as the 195 shouldn't it?

A potential problem that I was afraid of was once you get going down the road in 20 degree weather. The 180 shouldn't keep the engine from reaching at least 180 because once again it's no different up to 180 that the 195 right? But what is the chance that once it hits 180 and the stat opens to cool the engine that the cooling system (aided by the cold weather) would actually bring the engine temp back down below 165 and set the CEL?
The same thing could happen with the 195 T-Stat given very cold ambient conditions.

Yes, you want your engine to reach at least 165...thereby the suggestion to let it warm up before you hit the road in colder ambient temps.

The upside of the 180 is that the engine runs cooler in hotter ambient temps. In colder weather, it will close sooner as well.

Thje 180 will actually open earlier than the 195 because it takes less time to get to 180 than it does to get to 195.

Most folks I know who have gotten that particular CEL have 170 degree units in.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:41 AM

Yeah I guess theoretically your engine could drop below 165 while driving in cold enough weather even with a 195 deg stat....but my thinking is that with a 195 your engine is going to be 195 before the stat opens to let the coolant flow. So the coolant and cold weather are going to have to bring the engine temp down 30 degrees to create an issue. With the 180 it isn't going to get above 180 if things are working properly so it will only have to cool it 15 degrees to set the code. I'm not saying that it would happen with either stat....just that it seems more likely with the 180.

Also, I don't see how waiting for your engine to warm up before heading down the road is going to help. The engine temp is going to behave exactly the same up to 180 deg no matter which stat you have right? And letting it sit and warm up isn't going to help with a 180 deg stat because even if you let it run until it hits 180 the stat will open and the temp is going to level off. Is this correct or am I missing something?

I've also been doing a lot of reading about programmers and 180 deg stats. A lot of people say that a 180 will cause your engine to run richer. If so, would it be enough to create a noticeable difference in mpg?
Old 06-21-2011, 01:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I am guessing here
i think the only difference would be how hot your heater system gets
it will only warm the heater hoses & core up to 180, so on real cold days, you may shiver a bit longer
household water heaters are usually set at 125 F (51.66 C). holding your hand under the faucet for around 2 minutes, can burn your hand
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 06-21-2011, 07:38 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

The only reason it would run rich is if it were not reaching proper operating temperature (which according to others posts seems to be 165). If this happens it also would not be constant, you would lose a couple mpg at most. I doubt this would happen. If it stays above that minimum temperature, it will not run rich or lose mpg, it would help it if anything due to the engine being slightly more efficient (outputting more work, and less heat)

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.