DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-29-2010, 03:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: 1500 Ext Cab
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:19
GodMike is on a distinguished road
Default 99 dodge ram transmission info please..

Ok so my tranny is hoooped I have a 5.2L 318 and the tranny well...revs to like 3 grand before it gives me any power what so ever.. it just through up a code to which i havent been able to get to a shop to get it read.. ( what do i need to read it myself obd II ? ) I can buy an entire truck 99 dodge ram that has a 360 ( engine is in bad shape apparently ) in it and a freshly rebuilt for 3700 dollar transmission overhaul.. of course im going to do it.. now i have two trucks right.. oh the fun.. but anyways.. Im assuming that I can swap out the tranny from the 360 to my 318.. Once the transmissions are out and i am going to put the rebuilt one in my truck what else can I do while its out ?? is the rear main then accessable? or maybe an aftermarket torque converter with a high stall.. is that recomended? and what else.. thanking you so much in advance!

Mike
Sponsored links
Old 08-29-2010, 12:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: RootBeer
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Tranny swap should be plug and play except for the weight.

Rear main seal is accessible while you've got the tranny off, you'll have to remove the flywheel (check all the teeth while you're at it, if they are warn or have flat spots and the one on the 360 is good, swap it too).

As for the torque converter that's your call.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 08-29-2010, 01:02 PM
erm

Unless you plan on building the engine to get 350 HP or more, don't go high stall with the torque converter.

Check your flywheel. Pull it off and inspect the teeth and test it for runout (wobble). While it's off you can get to the rear main seal.

Now that you have two trucks...what else is on the second truck that you can use on the other one? It's nice to have a parts truck or car available.

Why not build the 360 some day? That would be cool.

Oh hell, don't listen to me...I'm just spending your money...LOL
Old 08-30-2010, 12:26 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Well Mike the trans are interchangeable . But the torque convertors are different . The one from the 5.9 is externally balanced . If you use that in the 5.2 , you will have a vibration from the motor . Yes the rear main is accessible with the trans out . I am a believer , if it's not broke don't fix it .
Old 08-30-2010, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
Unless you plan on building the engine to get 350 HP or more, don't go high stall with the torque converter.

Check your flywheel. Pull it off and inspect the teeth and test it for runout (wobble). While it's off you can get to the rear main seal.

Now that you have two trucks...what else is on the second truck that you can use on the other one? It's nice to have a parts truck or car available.

Why not build the 360 some day? That would be cool.

Oh hell, don't listen to me...I'm just spending your money...LOL

lol thanx for spending my hard earned money.. well my truck 99 5.2L 318 non power options of anything lol and then the 5.9 with the 360 with power options and a good tranny and a bunk 360.. I havent seen the truck yet so i dont know what all it has, ive been told its in good shape.. there is also a 97 with a 360 that might be ok and that has a lift kit and other parts i could use ... so 3 trucks lol jeez so many things i could do..

I would love to have my main truck have power everything.. but if i can get the 360 working in the truck im steeling the tranny from then i could have two good running trucks..

I digress.. for now Im going to rip out the tranny from the second truck put it in my 318 truck and then work on what problems i can fix with the 360 truck lol jeez and there all black too!! i am going to number them lol
Old 08-30-2010, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms Blue Ram 1500 View Post
Well Mike the trans are interchangeable . But the torque convertors are different . The one from the 5.9 is externally balanced . If you use that in the 5.2 , you will have a vibration from the motor . Yes the rear main is accessible with the trans out . I am a believer , if it's not broke don't fix it .

Good info thanx Tom.. and i am of the beliving if its not broke dont fix it.. but its so tempting.. and i figure while stuff is out i want to do as much as i can right.. thanx
Old 08-30-2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBeer View Post
Tranny swap should be plug and play except for the weight.

Rear main seal is accessible while you've got the tranny off, you'll have to remove the flywheel (check all the teeth while you're at it, if they are warn or have flat spots and the one on the 360 is good, swap it too).

As for the torque converter that's your call.
I really dont know anything about torque converters.. i would like to eventually build up a good motor.. dont know if i would start it in the 318 or 360 truck but still with the new tranny in the 318 would any kind of new torque converter do me good is there a difference then stock if its not the high stall one.. thanks for contributing

Mike