DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-29-2010, 01:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
jamesbgood is on a distinguished road
Cool 2003, 2500 HEMI questions

Hi everybody,

I found a nice 03,2500, Laramie HEMI 121000km for the decent price of $13,900
Has a couple of issues that could make me reconsider purchasing it.

1. When the truck is in neutral and then I select reverse there is a loud bang coming from the area of the tranny. I have done a little research on this and it would appear the u-joints are in need of replacement. The only thing that seems different from previous posts on this issue is they would complain of a thud, when throwing it in reverse, were as this is a BANG hard enough you can feel it in the cab. could it be something other then the u-joints?

2. Quite a bit of surface rust under the truck, would something like this deter anyone from purchasing it?

3. when you floor the accelerator the engine spools up and revs like a mutha, but the acceleration is poor. is this something
that all 2500 Hemis do or could there be something wrong?

4. When stopped at a red light on a hill there was a thud in the back of the truck,(and no there was nothing rolling around in the bed) any ideas?

5. when turning left you could hear a creaking noise coming from the right side of the truck. anyone have this issue and is it easily remedied?

6. Bondo crack on the tailgate. not really concerned about this, but if i go back i think I'll take a magnet with me just in case.

if someone could offer any info on these issues, it would be truly appreciated.
Cheers
James
Sponsored links
Old 08-29-2010, 02:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

That's quite a list of issues. Did you check Kelly BlueBook on the price/value? http://www.kbb.com

The body rust scares me more than the mechanicals would, but that's because I don't know diddly about doing body work.

Now for my answers on the numbered questions.

1. Could be u-joints. Only way to get a good idea is crawl under it and play with the drive shaft.

2. Already commented.
3. This could be a lot of things. Have to know what gears are in the differential. Either check the tag on it or call the dealer with the VIN. My brother has an 04/2500 Hemi and it has plenty of pep.

4. The thud could again be the u-joints. Just remember to check all of them.
5. You didn't say if this is 4x4, but if it is you could have a half-shaft gone or going. If 2wd it could be a bearing or control arm bushings or just about anything in the front end.

6. Bondo means fixed damage. Body work again. I plead the fifth.

Bottom line is if you are good with your hands and have the place to do the work just about anything is fixable. Question is how much you want to fix vs drive it.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 08-29-2010, 02:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBeer View Post
That's quite a list of issues. Did you check Kelly BlueBook on the price/value? http://www.kbb.com

Just did, for a 'fair condition' 'private party price' it was $9905 soooo 13,900 (offering 12500) would probably be a correct price in the canadian market

The body rust scares me more than the mechanicals would, but that's because I don't know diddly about doing body work.

Nor do I. Its all undercarridge rust, and the metal seems fairly thick, so maybe it'll be years before it eats its way through...or maybe months? i dunno.

Now for my answers on the numbered questions.

1. Could be u-joints. Only way to get a good idea is crawl under it and play with the drive shaft.

Will do thanks. if anyone had a similar experience with the symptoms please chime in.

2. Already commented.

Thank you

3. This could be a lot of things. Have to know what gears are in the differential. Either check the tag on it or call the dealer with the VIN. My brother has an 04/2500 Hemi and it has plenty of pep.

Will do

4. The thud could again be the u-joints. Just remember to check all of them.

Okay

5. You didn't say if this is 4x4, but if it is you could have a half-shaft gone or going. If 2wd it could be a bearing or control arm bushings or just about anything in the front end.

Sorry, 4 X 4

6. Bondo means fixed damage. Body work again. I plead the fifth.

Bottom line is if you are good with your hands and have the place to do the work just about anything is fixable. Question is how much you want to fix vs drive it.
I am good with my hands, but i'm going to be using this as a snow plow/ work truck so i dont want it out of commission for long periods of time.

More thoughts and opinions anyone?
Old 08-29-2010, 03:42 PM
erm

1. I suspect u-joints here. Yours may be a bit louder as they are more worn.

2. A good prep and application of some underbody coating will help. If it's mostly surface rust it's not uncommon. Look for pitting or flaking metal. Too much of that and I'd pass on the truck.

3. Dirty throttle body would be my guess. Also, if you decide to add a programmer, you'll feel the off-idle response improve dramatically.

4. Again, I suspect the u-joints are the culprit here.

5. I'd go with an inspection of the front bushings and/or steering links.

6. Bondo? I'd check for other body damage with that magnet, front to back. Inspect the bed underside for ripples. Check the rear bumper mounting supports and the frame end rails.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
1. I suspect u-joints here. Yours may be a bit louder as they are more worn.

One more for the u-joints, thanks.

2. A good prep and application of some underbody coating will help. If it's mostly surface rust it's not uncommon. Look for pitting or flaking metal. Too much of that and I'd pass on the truck.

What would be considered a good prep, sandblasting?

3. Dirty throttle body would be my guess. Also, if you decide to add a programmer, you'll feel the off-idle response improve dramatically.

If its that dramatic then thats what i'll do.

4. Again, I suspect the u-joints are the culprit here.

But what i found odd was the noise happened 5 seconds after a complete stop. I'm just sitting there with my foot on the brake and then I hear a light thump coming from the rear.

5. I'd go with an inspection of the front bushings and/or steering links.

Definitely taking it for an inspection.

6. Bondo? I'd check for other body damage with that magnet, front to back. Inspect the bed underside for ripples. Check the rear bumper mounting supports and the frame end rails.
Good suggestions, thank you.

Thanks for the quick replys guys!
Old 08-30-2010, 09:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

The bang could also be a bad engine/trans mount, excessive slop in the t-case chain or too much backlash in the rear diff (not very likely though, since you didn't mention any whining or growling noise). The high revving and little acceleration could be something in the torque converter or trans itself. Personally, I'd steer clear of this truck unless the problems are fixed first.