DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-30-2010, 10:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 07 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: st
Color: silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:68
moparmike07 will become famous soon enough
Default burnout

i cant rember some one asked me this here i dont want to say name but.. ok he said when he does it burnout its bad for his truck. i said its bad for the brakes not bad but it will wear them.. any one else please chime in

2007 dodge ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 5 percent tint all around 35 percent windshield, ported tb, diablo sport, arh headers, magnaflow dual exhaust, magnaflow y pipe, krc210x cam,nitrous,CNC ported head. 4.56 motive
Sponsored links
Old 08-30-2010, 02:06 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: white
Rep:647
chefred112 is a name known to allchefred112 is a name known to allchefred112 is a name known to allchefred112 is a name known to allchefred112 is a name known to allchefred112 is a name known to all

well, it'll wear out your rear breaks faster (but I haven't changed my rears yet an i do burnouts alot at the track, altho I have a linelock now)...it'll also put strain on the u-joints...but, those can easily be replaced..
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC SLT: 12.107 @ 113.960 MPH
Old 08-30-2010, 02:29 PM

ya well its not bad for the motor or tranny atleast i dont see how it can be

2007 dodge ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 5 percent tint all around 35 percent windshield, ported tb, diablo sport, arh headers, magnaflow dual exhaust, magnaflow y pipe, krc210x cam,nitrous,CNC ported head. 4.56 motive
Old 08-31-2010, 08:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
dead sailor is on a distinguished road

Doing a burnout is bad for every drive train component; Motor, converter, tranny, differential, and u joints. It puts a lot of stress on the whole drive train. This doesn't necessarily mean that something is going to break though.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:40 PM

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck
Trim Level: Indy Pace Truck
Color: Blue w/ white stripes
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:209
strang3majik has a spectacular aura aboutstrang3majik has a spectacular aura aboutstrang3majik has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead sailor View Post
Doing a burnout is bad for every drive train component; Motor, converter, tranny, differential, and u joints. It puts a lot of stress on the whole drive train. This doesn't necessarily mean that something is going to break though.
actually, no its not at all. Doing a burnout is actually a lot less stressful on the drivetrain then even a semi hard throttle start.

Reason being, instead of the shock going into the drivetrain, its going out through the tires and being lost through the spinning.

The only thing its really going to effect is your rear tires. Also, the motor will never get hurt by it unless your revving the crap out of it.

Now, breaking the tires loose simply with a full throttle start, that can hurt something being your shocking the drivetrain. But, a simple power brake won't.

My truck has done plenty of them in its lifetime, my Dad's Charger has been doing them since it was new in 68...its not going to hurt anything...lol

Just your wallet being you have to replace tires all the time.

Now...as I said, shocking the drivetrain will hurt things as that puts a lot of strain on stuff. Thats why at the track, a lot of people break things because they run slicks, and, the shock goes straight to the ground since the tires get traction, meaning they don't give any to take the strain away.

And, as far as wearing out your rear brakes. My truck got its first set at 135,000 miles. Now, they were low, but, not dangerously low...and thats with a lot power braking under their belt. (I live in the middle of nowhere...so...have to have fun somehow...lol)

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited / 96 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck / 87 Dodge Charger GLHS / 85 Dodge Omni GLH
Old 08-31-2010, 09:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
dead sailor is on a distinguished road

I should've been more clear, the actual burnout is only bad for the tires and rear brakes, but getting the tires to spin is what is stressing the drivetrain.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:12 PM

i jsut talking smoke them up a bit not revving piss out of it

Old 08-31-2010, 11:37 PM

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck
Trim Level: Indy Pace Truck
Color: Blue w/ white stripes
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:209
strang3majik has a spectacular aura aboutstrang3majik has a spectacular aura aboutstrang3majik has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead sailor View Post
I should've been more clear, the actual burnout is only bad for the tires and rear brakes, but getting the tires to spin is what is stressing the drivetrain.
not if you easily lock up the converter. I just hold the brake and run the converter up until it starts to lock, and gently apply more throttle till it starts to spin...then, more throttle

Now, jamming the brake and stomping the gas...well...yes...that can hurt something.

Not the engine though...as I said, unless you're revving the crap out of it.

Now...tearing a motor mount...thats potential if your just thromping on it...all the time...lol

Or the good old...4000RPMs in neutral, then slamming it into drive. Thats real good for.......everything...lol jk...please don't do that. haha. But...doing that will make a 1989 Plymouth Horizon with 110,000 miles and 88hp stock, do at 5ft burnout

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited / 96 Dodge Ram Indy Pace Truck / 87 Dodge Charger GLHS / 85 Dodge Omni GLH
Old 08-31-2010, 11:53 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Light Graystone
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:20
Simcik is on a distinguished road

Okay, maybe I can clear this up...

If you've ever been inside and SRT vehicle, you will know what I am talking about, as they have a big warning about this on the visor, and in the owner's manuals.

Because of the new braking systems, advanced ABS and wheel speed monitors, and the ESP system, "power braking" (holding the brakes and the gas to spin the wheels and do a burn out) can cause the computer systems to throw fault codes and fail.

It could also cause errors within the engine control systems, by trying to follow inputs from both the throttle and the braking system, as well as the speed sensors.

The reason burn outs are "bad" has little to do with the wear on the vehicle (Though there is some concern here too.), and more with the posibility of screwing up the computers...

Gotta love Nanny-State technology...

To be able to do a burn out safely without worrying about excess wear or faults (except on your tires, of course), is to install too different types of cut-offs.

One is actually called a propotioning valve. Many racers use them on their street/strip cars. Electronically actuated versions are available. The valves close off the brake lines to the rear brakes, eliminating excess wear on the rear brakes as well as minimizing the amount of power needed to get the wheels spinning. This also eliminates some of the stress placed on the powertrain.

The second is either a speed sensor simulator, or simply an on/off switch to disable the output from the speed sensor. Doing the on/off thing could cause a fault code to come on, but it can be cleared easily once the switch is flipped. This interuption to the signal ensures that the ESP or Traction Control system will not cut throttle and try to stop you from spinning. This will also make sure the sensors or computers don't get overloaded...