DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 4th Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-31-2010, 11:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

The CAN-IHS bus has gone down for some reason, hence the wipers coming on, among other things. IHS busses are like the CAN-C in that they are not fault tolerant and will not work in a single wire mode like the old CAN-B systems. A loose/unplugged connection won't cause this problem. You most likely have either a faulty module or open/short circuit in the bus wires.
Sponsored links
Old 09-01-2010, 01:57 AM
Find em hot leave em wet

Vehicle: 12 RAM 1500 qc 4x4 HEMI
Trim Level: express
Color: bright silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:204
moparmanicac has a spectacular aura aboutmoparmanicac has a spectacular aura aboutmoparmanicac has a spectacular aura about

gotta love the boxes when my buddies 318 dakota read no buss the computer was fried I hope that didnt happen to you good luck
Old 09-01-2010, 02:59 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Couple of thoughts -
1) Not sure where you live, but if you have winters like we do, it sure is nice to have these problems sorted out before winter.
2) Isn't warranty nice! You may have a problem, but at least you won't end up a huge bill at the end of it!

BTW - Nice truck! Did all the fixings in the Ram Box come with it.....to pacify you in the event of a failure? .....

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 09-01-2010, 03:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Deep Red
Rep:12
rich1500 is on a distinguished road

My 2010 ram didn't start the next morning and had 20 miles on it! long story short the dealer had it for over 17 days and gave my a stripped down jeep crapokee while they had my truck until it was fixed! It works fine now(still has only 400 miles though), so it can be very dissapointing and infuriating at the same time but best of luck that they can solve it quickly. They should give you a loaner car in the meantime!
Old 09-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad12kx View Post
BTW - Nice truck! Did all the fixings in the Ram Box come with it.....to pacify you in the event of a failure? .....

Dodge has it as an option now. Your choice. I took the Pepsi products option with Bud lite & Crown Royal as add ons. You have to add your own ice.

Pretty tastey!

At least when the truck breaks down I can enjoy the stop!

Wow, certainly a wide choice of smiles here!

Last edited by Quiet Lunatic; 09-01-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:31 AM

Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamTech View Post
The CAN-IHS bus has gone down for some reason, hence the wipers coming on, among other things. IHS busses are like the CAN-C in that they are not fault tolerant and will not work in a single wire mode like the old CAN-B systems. A loose/unplugged connection won't cause this problem. You most likely have either a faulty module or open/short circuit in the bus wires.

Wow, Thanks Randy! Maybe I should have the beast towed to your place! Hopefully, it is a bad module and they can replace it and I'm on my way. Would this malfunction cause any other problems down the road?
Old 09-01-2010, 09:32 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Once the problem is correctly repaired, it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamTech View Post
Once the problem is correctly repaired, it shouldn't be an issue.
I hope you are right, but right now my confidence level is pretty low.

I'm sure it will all work out, probably just a bad module. Replace it and move on.

I love the ride in this truck! Wow! The coil spring thing sure makes the ride nice! Great interior, quiet, well appointed and laid out. Great air cooled seats! Nice smooth powerful engine and trans.

Last edited by Quiet Lunatic; 09-01-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:27 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman 4x2
Trim Level: Crew Cab Outdoorsman
Color: White
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:38
MrPEZO is on a distinguished road

Nice Truck! They will get it figured out and then you can enjoy it.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:18 PM

Well boys & girls, I picked up the truck because they could not find anything wrong. The computers started talking to each other and all is well. When I drove it in (see post #1) they saw all of the symptoms so they know I'm not crazy, but they could not get it to do it even after driving it for 25 miles (on my gass!). I grabbed the key and off I went and.............. you guessed it it did it again.....then quit.

The best advice they could give me was drive it until it does it again and bring it back. I told them okay for now, but I did not sign on to be a beta tester. Strike 1, 3 strikes = lemon law.

Last edited by Quiet Lunatic; 09-01-2010 at 08:21 PM.