DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: 1500 Extended Cab
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:20
2SSick is on a distinguished road
Default not sure how to work the 4x4

Ok i have 2001 1500 with sport package (5.2) and im not sure how to engage the 4wd. I just put the truck on the road this passed tuesday. The guy i bought it from said the 4wd worked fine that he used it all last winter and since he was a fire fighter i took his word for it. Today for the first time i tried it out and i'm not exactly sure if im doing it wrong or if it doesn't work. Well first of all i can only seem to shift it from 2h to 4h, it goes up and down with no feeling of passing different positions like you would feel your column shifter passing reverse, nuetral, and into drive. im not sure if u need to have the tranny in a certain gear like neutral or something to engage the 4L but either way when i put it in 4h im not seeing a light come on dash. when i tried 4h the first time i was making a u-turn and i felt the truck jerk a little so i put it back in 2h and then when i got home i tried again and when making a normal left turn i felt a slight grind/rubbing feel coming from the front driver side wheel. the guy i bought it from just changed out a u-joint in that wheel so idk if he fixed it wrong or something. he said he used to be a mechanic for ford so i would think he knew what he was doing. Am i doing something wrong or was i lied to when i bought the truck?
Sponsored links
Old 09-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Banned

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 4X4 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport- Off Road
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1930
wermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant futurewermbang has a brilliant future

It will feel different when turning in 4 wheel. Try to go from drive to reverse, or vice versa, sometimes that engages it.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
dustoff is on a distinguished road

try going over a few bumps as well some times it takes a bit to get er in for some trucks. i know in my old 4runner i would have to turn left and hit a little bump to engage my 4x4. It is normal for you to feel a little rubbing feeling or tire shifting with 4x4 engaged.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:22 PM

i see...thats a relief...but i cant seem to get it into the nuetral or 4L position...i know 4L the engine revs like 3x as high and i pushed it all the way up and didnt get that feeling...maybe i need to push up harder? i dont wanna break the thing lol i never owned a 4x4 or truck for that matter...always sports coupes
Old 09-02-2010, 06:23 PM

o and one more thing...what the hell is the neutral on the 4wd shifter for anyway?
Old 09-02-2010, 07:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Ok, it sounds like you have a 4x4 shift lever, not a knob. good.

1. You have 4 positions on the lever. 2H, 4H, N, and 4L.
2. The N puts everything in neutral. Your transmission is basically off line. It'll spin but you aren't going anywhere. This position is used when towing the truck behind a camper or tow truck, etc.

3. 2H is for normal everyday driving.
4. 4H is for driving on dirt/mud or any non-paved road or one that is not dry.
5. 4L is for very low speed, <25mph and maximum torque at the wheels.
6. Shifting from 2H to 4H can be done with the vehicle moving up to 60mph.
7. 4L should only be shifted into from a stop or less than 10mph.
8. 4L is accessed by moving the lever to one side or the other. It should show the 4L position on the knob. This is so you don't go into 4L by mistake. Whereas 2H, N, and 4H are straight in line with each other.

When using 4L and you want to go to 2H, it is common to need to stop, shift to 2H and then back up a few feet to get the transfer case and front hubs/axles to unlock.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 09-02-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBeer View Post
Ok, it sounds like you have a 4x4 shift lever, not a knob. good.

1. You have 4 positions on the lever. 2H, 4H, N, and 4L.
2. The N puts everything in neutral. Your transmission is basically off line. It'll spin but you aren't going anywhere. This position is used when towing the truck behind a camper or tow truck, etc.

3. 2H is for normal everyday driving.
4. 4H is for driving on dirt/mud or any non-paved road or one that is not dry.
5. 4L is for very low speed, <25mph and maximum torque at the wheels.
6. Shifting from 2H to 4H can be done with the vehicle moving up to 60mph.
7. 4L should only be shifted into from a stop or less than 10mph.
8. 4L is accessed by moving the lever to one side or the other. It should show the 4L position on the knob. This is so you don't go into 4L by mistake. Whereas 2H, N, and 4H are straight in line with each other.

When using 4L and you want to go to 2H, it is common to need to stop, shift to 2H and then back up a few feet to get the transfer case and front hubs/axles to unlock.
Well alright...sounds like the manual lol...but the manual didnt say anything about going to the side, unless i missed it...thx!
Old 09-02-2010, 09:01 PM

ok i just went out there and messed with it again and when pushing it up into 4L it make a grinding noise...i drove up my block and tried again and this time it went into 4L i went in reverse a few feet put it in drive and pulled away...i got about 5-10ft and the stopped moving...i didnt give it too much gas cuz i didnt wanna break anything cuz it makes noises and shit...is it possible for your 4h to work and not 4l? the 4h works just jerks a lil when making a moderate hard turn...not a hard hard turn but not a wide turn.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Okay, couple of things.

Put your transmission in neutral before shifting into 4L. When shifting out of 4L, put the selector lever in the range you want, then back up a few feet.

As for the jerking while turning, are you on dirt or pavement?
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 09-02-2010, 10:57 PM

i was in neutral when i shifted into 4L...after it went in i then put it in reverse and backed up and then drive and moved forward and the truck didnt aburubtly stopped just wasnt moving when i hit the gas and i didnt wanna give it too much gas cuz i was afraid id break something...and when the jerking of the 4h happned im on dry pavement (was just testing it out i know i shouldnt drive on dry pavement in 4h)