DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-02-2010, 06:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Water Blue
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Jim Ram is on a distinguished road
Default Confused about Navigation complaints

There are several members who say that the navigation on the new Rams is crappy. It did make me a little nervous about getting my Ram with navigation but I really HATE the clutter of putting one on the windshield so I got mine with it anyway. I am a real estate agent and use navigation everyday. I have had factory navigation in my past 2 Accords (2005 and 2007) and the Honda factory navigation is really great to use.

Now that I have had my Ram for a few weeks now and have gotten used to using the navigation I gotta say its better then the Honda navigation. The 3D graphics look awesome. While using it your next few turns show up on the screen right next to the map, that’s really convenient. But best of all is the traffic updates. I saw that feature on the build sheet and passed over it thinking it would be something I would never use. Boy was I wrong. I recently took my Ram home from Cape Cod and a few friends weren't far behind me. The traffic updates ended up taking me on a bunch of weird back roads and highways that seemed like I was going in the wrong direction. Well long story short I made it home 3hrs ahead of everyone else, those traffic updates are worth every penny!!!!

Also, there is a new Garmin based GPS coming out for the 2011's. I saw some info on it on another thread (I attached the PDF to this thread, thanks sowardcustoms). The other major reason I like my factory built in navigation is so that I don't have to wait for the satellites to find me, I always hated waiting for that with the portable I had in my old truck. I would have clients waiting behind me while I waited for the navigation to tell me where to go. The new Garmin based navigation works just like a portable one, it won't know where you are on startup or if the signal gets lost (big negative for me). When you add the Uconnect package (which works really great if you use an iPod), you are only really saving $325 by going with the Garmin over the premium unit.

The only complaint I have is that it doesn't work while driving (which the Accord can do). I know I can buy a custom device to change this but I don't feel like taking my dash apart to put it in.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RHB_Radio_Details[1].pdf (254.5 KB, 14 views)
Sponsored links
Old 09-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I have used my navigation while traveling & i like it, i just have not used it enough to be real familiar with it
I have had it for about 16 months & when i renewed the subscription, i didn't get the TRAFFIC part, i drove from coast to coast & there was a heck of a lot of construction, i sat in Missouri more than i moved & it was all toll road, $8 to go across Missouri, next year before i go on vacation, i'll get the traffic part too
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 09-02-2010, 07:26 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Good right up. Since I'm the leader of the "hate the stock nav" group, I think. I'll give you my point of view on it.

When I am going someplace, I think "I want to go to 10223 Fairview". I expect to be entering that address in the nav system just like I talk. However, in the stock system you cannot do this. Not only that, but unless I looked really closely when I entered "Fairview" I would have missed the "W" after the name of the street which would result in the nav system telling me the address does not exist.

In the current system you must enter the address as "Fairview, W, 10223". I do not talk that way or think that way.

Another example: On the stock system if I tell it I want to go to the intersection of 21st and bannock, it will not find bannock as intersecting with 21st. Whereas if I put in bannock, W and 21st, N, it finds it. I want the nav system to ask me if what it found is what I am looking for.

And my favorites get saved for last. When looking for a place like Costco or the Post Office, I expect to see the nearest one come up first regardless of my current location. Not one that is 300 miles away.

Regarding the traffic alerts, that is a service you pay for after the first year, just like the satellite radio. The hand-held Garmin has it too.

I don't buy technology to make my life harder or for me to compete with it. I buy it to simplify my life. It is why I am sitting in my recliner with a laptop instead of at a desk with a desktop pc.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 09-02-2010, 07:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

RandyS is on a distinguished road

what ticks me off is I live in Saskatchewan Canada...I can say to go to Saskatoon and it routes me on a 3.5 hour drive....when it is really only a 1.45 hr drive. I can put in a location in between saskatoon on hwy 41 and it will go there as a via point and rather than continuing on that journey it wants me to go back through Prince Albert....POS....why is this...
Old 09-02-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBeer View Post
Good right up. Since I'm the leader of the "hate the stock nav" group, I think. I'll give you my point of view on it.

When I am going someplace, I think "I want to go to 10223 Fairview". I expect to be entering that address in the nav system just like I talk. However, in the stock system you cannot do this. Not only that, but unless I looked really closely when I entered "Fairview" I would have missed the "W" after the name of the street which would result in the nav system telling me the address does not exist.

In the current system you must enter the address as "Fairview, W, 10223". I do not talk that way or think that way.

Another example: On the stock system if I tell it I want to go to the intersection of 21st and bannock, it will not find bannock as intersecting with 21st. Whereas if I put in bannock, W and 21st, N, it finds it. I want the nav system to ask me if what it found is what I am looking for.

And my favorites get saved for last. When looking for a place like Costco or the Post Office, I expect to see the nearest one come up first regardless of my current location. Not one that is 300 miles away.

Regarding the traffic alerts, that is a service you pay for after the first year, just like the satellite radio. The hand-held Garmin has it too.

I don't buy technology to make my life harder or for me to compete with it. I buy it to simplify my life. It is why I am sitting in my recliner with a laptop instead of at a desk with a desktop pc.
I'm a little confused with your write up. In my truck (and Accord) if I want to go to 10223 Fairview I type in Fairview first, then the number. Why do you need to put in the extra W? As far as finding a Costco, that's silly that one that is 300 miles away comes up first. I still haven't tried that option on the navigation yet, I'll try it soon and see if mine does it that way too. The Honda navigation does that correctly, it starts with the closest one first.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:38 PM

RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

I honestly don't know why I had to put in the W. It automatically defaulted to Fairview E.

I hated putting the street name in first. I don't think that way and I don't talk that way. In my Garmin I don't have to do it that way.

As for the Costco thing, you're right it is silly.

As a result when I traded in my 09 Laramie and bought RootBeer I made sure it did not have the Nav. Don't need the hassles. If they come out with a good working system I may have it installed depending on cost.

The other issue I did not mention is the cost to update the maps. $199 for each upgrade. Whereas for that kind of money I can get lifetime updates for my hand-held Garmin.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 09-02-2010, 10:49 PM

I'm kinda used to doing it that way. First you gotta know the state (usually the state you are in) then pick the town (list of towns within that state come up), then street (list of streets within that town come up), then number (list of numbers on that street come up). If you list the town first then a number that would be confusing since it doesn't know what street you are putting the number on. I guess we all have our own opinions on how things should work haha.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:54 PM

Yup. I look at it like taking a taxi from the airport. You don't tell the driver you want to go to Fairview, 10223 do you?

You being a realtor I'd be more concerned with the cost of updating maps every year unless where you work/live they don't change things much. Out west they are always building.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Deep Red
Rep:12
rich1500 is on a distinguished road

I like the navigation setup in the ram. Works just fine for me. Only complaint would be to have the screen bigger. Voice technology is a 50/50 shot on most voice recognition systems.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBeer View Post
Yup. I look at it like taking a taxi from the airport. You don't tell the driver you want to go to Fairview, 10223 do you?

You being a realtor I'd be more concerned with the cost of updating maps every year unless where you work/live they don't change things much. Out west they are always building.
You don't tell the taxi driver how to get there that way but in his mind he's concerned on how to get to fairview first, then the number. Kinda the same way the navigation finds it's way there.