DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 07:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Rep:10
chad3113 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
I'd give JL subs and amps a serious look chad3113. There are cheaper ones out there (kicker, MTX, etc...) but JL really makes some great stuff at a good price.
Yes, I've had JL before and liked them, but didn't know if there was a perticular sub that sounds best with the factory system.

So I assume that it is possible to switch out the sub, I also assume that I need some sort of converter in order to wire the amp through the factory touchscreen...?

I know I cannot be the only person who wanted to switch out the factory sub but retain everything else from the stock system; Anyone who has done this please chime in.
Sponsored links
Old 01-02-2011, 07:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't the factory sub an 8"?
Old 01-03-2011, 12:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
Isn't the factory sub an 8"?
Believe so.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:02 AM

chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm... I wonder if it is 4-ohm or 2-ohm...
Old 01-03-2011, 09:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport - Crew Cab
Color: Flame Red
Rep:30
webhair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3113 View Post
Yes, I've had JL before and liked them, but didn't know if there was a perticular sub that sounds best with the factory system.

So I assume that it is possible to switch out the sub, I also assume that I need some sort of converter in order to wire the amp through the factory touchscreen...?

I know I cannot be the only person who wanted to switch out the factory sub but retain everything else from the stock system; Anyone who has done this please chime in.
I'm in the same boat... I have the 730N and am happy with the premium system that came in the truck - except the sub... Want to replace it at some point.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:23 AM

Rep:22
MADDOG is on a distinguished road

I assume you are asking if the sub gain can be controlled at the head unit with an aftermarket sub. Yes, for sure if you keep the stock sub amp. If you want to change out the amp, then a bit of research will be needed. I don't know if the factory sub amp has a special harness connected to it or not. If it's a simple gain control wiring scheme, then I suspect you can do it.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
I assume you are asking if the sub gain can be controlled at the head unit with an aftermarket sub. Yes, for sure if you keep the stock sub amp. If you want to change out the amp, then a bit of research will be needed. I don't know if the factory sub amp has a special harness connected to it or not. If it's a simple gain control wiring scheme, then I suspect you can do it.
I def do not want to use the stock amp. I want to control the sub from an aftermarket (JL) amp, and push a single 10w3. I will turn the bass way down from the headunit to prevent distortion from the stock door speakers.

In my previous mustang, I added 2 JL 10w1's and an 800 watt amp while keeping the stock mach 460 highs/headunit.

I used a Line Out Converter, to tap into my rear speakers for a signal, then hooked up the RCAs from there... I don't exactly rem how I did it, but I know thats pretty much the basics lol.

My question is if this is possible on the 2010 rams, or if there is a better way to add a sub and amp to the stock system?
Old 01-03-2011, 11:44 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:1338
GeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud ofGeauxHunting has much to be proud of

I got my new speakers in and I'm wondering if I need to buy speaker harness adapters? Or can I cut the harness off and hard wire them to my new JLs?
8000k HID lows, 10000k Fogs, AAC Halos, white interior LEDs, 4' of blue LED strips, two blue LED pods, LED reverse and license plate lights, 2% Tint 3% visor, 50% Windshield, Debadged, Pioneer MVH-P8200BT headunit, JL C2-690TX door speakers, 10" JL W7 subwoofer, JL 500/1V2 Amplifier, DiabloSport Predator, Volant CAI, 14" Magnalow Exhaust with Turndowns, 2500 Tow Hooks, 3" CST Lift, 35x12.5x20 Toyo M/T.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3113 View Post
I def do not want to use the stock amp. I want to control the sub from an aftermarket (JL) amp, and push a single 10w3. I will turn the bass way down from the headunit to prevent distortion from the stock door speakers.

In my previous mustang, I added 2 JL 10w1's and an 800 watt amp while keeping the stock mach 460 highs/headunit.

I used a Line Out Converter, to tap into my rear speakers for a signal, then hooked up the RCAs from there... I don't exactly rem how I did it, but I know thats pretty much the basics lol.

My question is if this is possible on the 2010 rams, or if there is a better way to add a sub and amp to the stock system?
As long as you tap into the front door speakers you will be fine.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
As long as you tap into the front door speakers you will be fine.
Am I using the front door speakers in order to bypass the factory sub amp?

What is a good brandname line output converter that can handle the wattage requirements of a 10w3 (roughly 300-400rms)?
Closed Thread