DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Rep:22
MADDOG is on a distinguished road

vtelvr, from what I've read here, upgrading to the next level of MOPAR head units is pretty much a plug and play. Going from the so-called Infinity system to the REC NAV unit in my truck was.

Yes, you can add amps and aftermarket speakers pretty easily. If you put in a new amp, your stock one stays in place and is used to send a digital signal to the new amp. Also, some harness adapters from PacAudio will be needed to preserve steering wheel control operation and to incorporate the amp. If you go to an aftermarket head unit, that will also require an adapter.

You can get a Double DIN bezel (if you don't already have one in your truck) for either upgrade.

I can't recommend a head unit but if you want navigation, look for one with the Garmin NAV interface. It's the best looking, easiest to use NAV I've seen.
Sponsored links
Old 06-02-2011, 10:23 PM

Rep:22
MADDOG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerMegaCab View Post
Hi all. I just joined. First post. Simple question. I think my head unit is a 730N. Are there video outputs on the back to run headrest monitors? Does anyone have a picture of the back of one. Sorry, I didn't do any searching. Thanks!
Welcome to the forum!

Sorry, I don't know if the 730N has rear video outs.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:44 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Express
Trim Level: Express 1500
Color: Silver
Rep:10
vtelvr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
vtelvr, from what I've read here, upgrading to the next level of MOPAR head units is pretty much a plug and play. Going from the so-called Infinity system to the REC NAV unit in my truck was.

Yes, you can add amps and aftermarket speakers pretty easily. If you put in a new amp, your stock one stays in place and is used to send a digital signal to the new amp. Also, some harness adapters from PacAudio will be needed to preserve steering wheel control operation and to incorporate the amp. If you go to an aftermarket head unit, that will also require an adapter.

You can get a Double DIN bezel (if you don't already have one in your truck) for either upgrade.

I can't recommend a head unit but if you want navigation, look for one with the Garmin NAV interface. It's the best looking, easiest to use NAV I've seen.

Awesome info man! I really like the "stock" clean look of OEM head units. When you start adding all the extra dash pieces to an aftermarket one, it starts to look cheap. Not my taste. I think I have the RES radio. It has satellite radio, and the uconnect buttons, but the uconnect is not operable. I really don't have a preference towards the UC, and if it never worked, I would be broken hearted.

I will look to see if I can snag an OEM nav from someone who has upgraded. I do not have the steering wheel buttons, which doesn't bother me either. Even just a simple head unit and upgrade to some high end door/panel speakers would make me happy. I really don't need the sub in my truck as small as it is. The wife would probably agree to that as well.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:19 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Rep:63
Blue Streak will become famous soon enough

I have a 2011 CC with alpine. I'm looking to put comp in front and 6.5 in rear and would like to add a 10" sub. I like the Alpine PDX5 for the amp. What would I need to hook it up using the factory head unit. Also what gauge speaker wire would you recommend for the speakers and subs. I also have the ALLGIG to install.

Thanks in Advance!!

Last edited by Blue Streak; 06-03-2011 at 01:54 PM. Reason: add
Old 06-05-2011, 07:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:25
Boilerup15 is on a distinguished road

I have 2 10" Rockford Fosgate subwoofers, is there a box that these will fit in for under the back seat? Mounting depth is 5.75", cubic volume for a sealed box is .50-.85.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:49 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Sport Ram Hood
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:516
Bordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of light

Hey guys,
Trying to install my two 12" type R's.

I was wondering how to tap into the stock deck to get a set of RCAs out without ordered any fancy connectors.

I do have a RCA converter with a brown, black, grey, and green wire coming out of it.
Just wondering which wires I could tap into???

Ive been doing some research on here and no distinct answer.
People were saying to tap into the Front door speakers???

Thanks
Old 06-09-2011, 05:30 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: ST 1500 Quad Cab
Color: Silver
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:79
M n M will become famous soon enough
Default What all would I need?

I've got a 130 (RES) without the unconnect module. If I were to get my hands on a 730N (RER) what all would I need to make everything work? I've got the antenna for Sat radio, will that work for the nav system?

Thanks
Old 06-25-2011, 02:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2008 RAM 1500
Trim Level: LARAMIE
Color: SUNBURST ORANGE
xbxjunkie is on a distinguished road
Default Ref upgrade

My 08 Laramie has a REF radio in it SAT and UCONNECT. I would like to upgrade it to the factory NAV unit. Does anyone know if this is a plug and play swap? besides changing the front bezel, what else has to be done.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Ram 3500
Trim Level: Laramie
Engine: 2007-???? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
NORFLA71 is on a distinguished road
Default Guys,

Sorry to ask, as it may have been answered, but 50+ pages is too much to sift through.

I have an 08 QC Laramie and am generally satisfied with the stock system, though not the bass response. I have been looking at custom underseat rear enclosure for a pair of 10's. How can I hook an amp up to the stock head unit?
Old 06-30-2011, 10:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Inferno Red
Bryanp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chithead View Post
Here's another great help (fast forward to 1:05 if you don't have the center console):

Thank you thank you thank you. I can now stop smashing my forehead on the keyboard while looking for that exact information