DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 12:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007
Trim Level: Laramie
Rep:10
dv394 is on a distinguished road
Default 2007 3500 with REC unit

I have a rec nav unit with Sirius is there any way to have the PTY active all the time displaying artist info etc? its a pain to allways have to hit the PTY button to show the display. Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 07-01-2011, 03:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004.5 dodge ram cummins
Trim Level: larm
Color: black
Engine: 2005-???? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
rllnsmk is on a distinguished road

I Have 2004.5 cummins quad cab. Going to order the pioneer 4300 dvd unit for it. I will be making the double din bezel myself...bought a one to experiment on for 20 bucks off ebay...

I will be installing a jl 700 5 amp and 6.5 boston comps up front and 6.5 coaxials in the rear. single g3 sub in back seat pass side...

I have found the amp bypass harness http://www.installer.com/item/displa...php?it=70-6512 and the 12v adapter harness as well http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120CHTO...Interface.html.

I just need to know what adapter i need to buy, this is my first stereo install so im figuring it out as i go. Two questions

Exactly what kit do i need to buy in order to make this unit work. Do i need the 12 v adapter if i use the cig lighter power. A link to said specific harnesses would be awesome. Im new to the stereo world and trying to learn... not doing to great.

Last edited by rllnsmk; 07-01-2011 at 04:08 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 <5.2l v8>
Trim Level: Laramie SRT
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Mephza is on a distinguished road

I've got a 1998 Ram 1500. 5.2l V8. 2nd gen.

The radio seems to not work =/ I'm going to pop the dash off and look behind the radio to make sure the antenna is wired in, and I might go as far as checking the ground for the antenna, which I read is behind the front wheel well.

Any suggestions as to what the problem could be, if not one of those?

Also, any suggestions on a replacement for this truck? Its the SLT trim package if it matters.

I plan on replacing the headunit, and wiring either 0 awg or 4 awg and running probably 2 alpine type x's with 2 mrp1000s, or 1 mrp2000.

Lookin forward to hear back, thanks.
~Matt
Old 07-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 4X4
Trim Level: Laramie Crew Cab
Color: Austin Tan Pearl &Lt. Graystone Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:27
theweavman is on a distinguished road

What do you mean by my radio doesn't work?
Does it turn on at all? Does it have bad reception? Does it work on any band, Am? FM? Disc? Etc?
Need to know alittle more before we can possibly get you looking in the right place to find a fix
Old 07-07-2011, 08:57 PM

Rep:22
MADDOG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllnsmk View Post
I Have 2004.5 cummins quad cab. Going to order the pioneer 4300 dvd unit for it. I will be making the double din bezel myself...bought a one to experiment on for 20 bucks off ebay...

I will be installing a jl 700 5 amp and 6.5 boston comps up front and 6.5 coaxials in the rear. single g3 sub in back seat pass side...

I have found the amp bypass harness http://www.installer.com/item/displa...php?it=70-6512 and the 12v adapter harness as well http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120CHTO...Interface.html.

I just need to know what adapter i need to buy, this is my first stereo install so im figuring it out as i go. Two questions

Exactly what kit do i need to buy in order to make this unit work. Do i need the 12 v adapter if i use the cig lighter power. A link to said specific harnesses would be awesome. Im new to the stereo world and trying to learn... not doing to great.
Before you get the harness, check out PacAudio.com and plug in your vehicle info there. I firmly believe you'll be a lot happier with their harness.

I would also suggest you get the 12v harness. The lighter will work but it would be better from a noise standpoint if you avoided that source.

Sounds like ya got a good plan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephza View Post
I've got a 1998 Ram 1500. 5.2l V8. 2nd gen.

The radio seems to not work =/ I'm going to pop the dash off and look behind the radio to make sure the antenna is wired in, and I might go as far as checking the ground for the antenna, which I read is behind the front wheel well.

Any suggestions as to what the problem could be, if not one of those?

Also, any suggestions on a replacement for this truck? Its the SLT trim package if it matters.

I plan on replacing the headunit, and wiring either 0 awg or 4 awg and running probably 2 alpine type x's with 2 mrp1000s, or 1 mrp2000.

Lookin forward to hear back, thanks.
~Matt
It may be the internal power supply in the radio but a bit more info as noted above would be helpful.

If you do have to replace it, and more than likely any repair you would do to it would cost more than what it's worth, take a look at the Alpine CDE series receivers. They will fit and they work great. I put in a CDE-126BT in my '99 SLT.

I would strongly suggest you replace your stock speakers and give some thought to a nice 4 channel amplifier as well.

Good luck!
Old 07-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post

It may be the internal power supply in the radio but a bit more info as noted above would be helpful.

If you do have to replace it, and more than likely any repair you would do to it would cost more than what it's worth, take a look at the Alpine CDE series receivers. They will fit and they work great. I put in a CDE-126BT in my '99 SLT.

I would strongly suggest you replace your stock speakers and give some thought to a nice 4 channel amplifier as well.

Good luck!
Thanks a lot man.

I just need the radio to work for now. I cant stand driving with no music!

Basically, it turns on, and I hit scan to find a station. It goes through every frequency and just keeps going through them.
All I hear on every channel is static. I can adjust the sound, effectively turning off the audio, or making the static really loud.

Also, the AM frequencies pick up very little sound, but its something.

I will look into the alpine deck.
As for door speakers, I am not going to get too into it with this truck, maybe some new 6x9s, but thats it.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:15 PM

It sounds like your antenna connection came loose or it's frayed somewhere.

Locate the cable and check it from end to end.

Of course it could be a board in the head unit and if so, you will need a new one.

If you put some new 6X9's in the truck, you probably won't have enough power to drive them sufficiently off the head unit.

If you get an Alpine head unit, consider getting this as well:

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/ktp-445/

When I upgraded my '99, I went with the Alpine head unit & speakers in the doors and the rear. The head unit was a good one but not a lot of power comes out of it, which is true for a lot of head units. I put that little device in the dash behind the head unit and it sounded a LOT better.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv394 View Post
I have a rec nav unit with Sirius is there any way to have the PTY active all the time displaying artist info etc? its a pain to allways have to hit the PTY button to show the display. Thanks
I have the same unit and I haven't found a way to do this, either.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
It sounds like your antenna connection came loose or it's frayed somewhere.

Locate the cable and check it from end to end.

Of course it could be a board in the head unit and if so, you will need a new one.

If you put some new 6X9's in the truck, you probably won't have enough power to drive them sufficiently off the head unit.

If you get an Alpine head unit, consider getting this as well:

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/ktp-445/

When I upgraded my '99, I went with the Alpine head unit & speakers in the doors and the rear. The head unit was a good one but not a lot of power comes out of it, which is true for a lot of head units. I put that little device in the dash behind the head unit and it sounded a LOT better.
That's exactly what I thought. I read that I need to check the ground for the antenna which is ran underneath the wheel well it sits on.

Just got back from tryin to take that radio out, the dash is a piece of cake to dissemble, but to my dismay, I didn't have a god damn socket wrench to take the 2 10mm bolts out.
Go figure, gotta pick up a new set of sockets tomorrow and then make progress!

Wow, never seen that little box, but I will read and look into it.

Thanks!
~Matt
Old 07-07-2011, 09:26 PM

LOL Matt...if yer gonna drive a Dodge ya better have both metric and sae tools.
Closed Thread