DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 03:18 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: white
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:199
Ryank has a spectacular aura aboutRyank has a spectacular aura about

From the headunit? If so, itd just be easier to run an rca from the sub amp because it would be the same signal?
Old 08-11-2011, 10:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Express
Color: Flame Red
Rep:15
2.0Tsunami is on a distinguished road

I have the standard stereo w/ Sirius. Do I need a PAC harness or can I use the cheaper one? Also, can I reuse the Sirius antenna?

Are the dash speakers slaves of the front speakers or are they indepent. I'm trying to change out all the speakers in my 2011 Ram 1500 Express.

TIA
Old 08-11-2011, 10:58 PM

Rep:22
MADDOG is on a distinguished road

I don't think you can re-use the stock antenna as I believe the head unit end plug is designed specifically for that radio. But I'd try it before you get one. Mine cost me all of $14.95...

You are gonna put in an aftermarket amp and head unit, right? You will need a harness for the head unit and the amp for them to interface with the CanBus and to provide you an LOC. You can try a Metra harness or what Crutchfield offers but I've had those not work for me. So, I just bite the bullet and get the PacAudio gear.

The dash and front door speakers come off the same channel on the back of the stock head unit or the stock amp if you have one in your system. With an aftermarket amp and head unit, you can dial in the dash and front speakers on their own channels and power the rear door speakers off the head unit.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Express
Color: Flame Red
Rep:15
2.0Tsunami is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
I don't think you can re-use the stock antenna as I believe the head unit end plug is designed specifically for that radio. But I'd try it before you get one. Mine cost me all of $14.95...

You are gonna put in an aftermarket amp and head unit, right? You will need a harness for the head unit and the amp for them to interface with the CanBus and to provide you an LOC. You can try a Metra harness or what Crutchfield offers but I've had those not work for me. So, I just bite the bullet and get the PacAudio gear.

The dash and front door speakers come off the same channel on the back of the stock head unit or the stock amp if you have one in your system. With an aftermarket amp and head unit, you can dial in the dash and front speakers on their own channels and power the rear door speakers off the head unit.
Does the factory satellite antenna come off? There's not a visible wire coming off of it.

I'm still kinda confused about how everything is wired. Do the dash and fronts split somewhere down the line or do they have seperate wiring into the HU? I was going to wire the rear and fronts to a 4 channel and possible upgrade the dash w/ a 2 channel at a later time depending on how they are wired.

Is there a DIY w/ a similar install? The sub part wiring is easy. I'm just not familiar enough w/ how my truck is wired for the doors/dash/rear.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 1500 Sport Crew 4x2
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Water Blue
Rep:27
Aqpokalipze is on a distinguished road

64 pages - I admit, i stopped trying to find my answer. 2011 ram 430 media center
hdd/dvd/sat/aux/fm and the covetted... AM!!!!

I don't have rear seat entertainment, the headunit is clearly a DVD drive. Can I plug and Play a monitor with this system? Not looking to add the rear seat entertainment. Thinking of a larger portable monitor.

Thanks in advance -
Mark
Old 08-21-2011, 04:28 PM
RacinRandy

Default 2011 Ram 3500 Alpine - HD Ready?

Was wondering if anyone knew of the Alpine Radio in the 2011 Ram 3500 is "HD Ready"? I'm really disappointed that the radio didn't come with it already and have found an Alpine Converter, Part #TUA-T550HD, and it says it works with units that are HD Ready but I can't find any documentation at this time.
Please advise.
Thanks
Old 09-06-2011, 09:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Rep:10
HMinus3505 is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone! First post of many to come I am sure but I would like to thank the forum moderators for setting aside their personal time to help all the less than audio literate people out there like myself. I have been reading for several hours now and to be honest, this question probably has been answered some where in the jungle of threads but I am just going to throw out my question and if someone has the time and energy to answer, I thank you in advance.

I had a 2008 crew cab, but just traded it in for a 2011 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie. I can't believe the difference in trucks between 2008 and 2011. Truly amazing to say the least. Anyway, I have the 10 speaker Alpine system, and it is decent. But I had already started buying some upgrade components for my 2008 before I decided to trade it in on a new Ram. Now I have these speakers still sitting in the box in the living room and I would like to go ahead and upgrade this system also. The speakers I had already bought were the Infinity Kappa 693.9i 3-way 6x9 speakers and the Infinity Kappa 52.9i 2-way 5.25 speakers, both sets are 4 ohms speakers.

I wish I had read a little bit more before I bought the 6x9s because they are 3-way instead of 2-way speakers. Is this going to cause me issues or make the system sound like crap in the end?

Also, what would you guys recommend in completing the system? I am keeping the nav head unit. I don't want to be heard 6 houses down... I just want to thoroughly enjoy my clear music, but do enjoy some occasional bass music. I was thinking one 10 inch sub would be enough for what I need, or perhaps replace the crappy 8 inch sub that is in the truck for a good 8 inch sub. The 2011 year comes with a sub box already built in so it might be ok just to replace the 8 inch sub.

So, if I wanted to replace the sub, 3 small speakers in the dash and the two speakers in the roof, what would you guys recommend? I would assume a new amp would be required also, if so, again what do you recommend? Not rich here LOL... But I could probably spend another 500 or 600 bucks if that is feasable.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by HMinus3505; 09-06-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:08 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm... that's a toughie. I can't recommend just swapping out speakers if you are going to keep the factory amp and head unit - just too many variables that benefit stock speakers, that make aftermarket speakers sound like garbage.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Rep:10
HMinus3505 is on a distinguished road

I would like to keep the headunit because it works so well with everything in the truck like the nav, back-up camera, etc. I could really care less about keeping the amp if it is going to make it sound like crap. So with that being said, I guess I need to replace the 3 dash speakers, the two roof speakers and the sub and amp. Any suggestions anyone?

Also, will the fact that the replacement speakers I picked up for the front door speakers are 3-ways instead of 2-ways screw everything up? Again, I bought Infinity Kappa 693.9i 3-way 6x9 speakers for the front doors and the Infinity Kappa 52.9i 2-way 5.25 speakers for the rear doors, both sets are 4 ohms speakers. LOL, perhaps since the highs are built into those 6x9s, I could just cut the power to the dash speakers and let the 6x9s handle it. But I prefer to have them working because I think highs in the dash work really well.

Thanks

Last edited by HMinus3505; 09-07-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:41 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Well... your theory is spot on. But... you'll find the front door speakers are on a cutoff that doesn't allow them to play any higher frequencies. The factory amp filters the dash, rear, and door speakers.

The best example I can use is those 3-way speakers you have. There is the larger 6x9" cone that plays most of your lows and bass, then there is typically a smaller speaker that plays most of the midrange, then you have the tweeter to take care of the highs. Well the Alpine setup mimics this, front doors play your lows, the rears play your mids, and the dash and roof speakers play your highs. So if you just swap out speakers, they won't benefit as much as they would in a normal, limited filter setup.

I definitely don't want to deter you from trying this, especially since you already have all those nice Infinity speakers, but perhaps there is another way to go about it - that will still allow you to keep the stock head unit. You could look into a summing interface that will collect all the input from the factory amp, and create a flat, fullrange output for you to really make them fine audio reproducers shine. Just a thought, suggestion, recommendation...
Closed Thread