DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 08:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
HMinus3505 is on a distinguished road

Well, if I replace the sub, from what I have read in a prior post, it said I should need a better amp... I guess I will stick with the Infinity brand as I have been told the Kappas are amazing.

I guess it boils down to two options...

1. Get an Infinity 8 inch sub, a new amp, 2 roof speakers and 3 dash speakers and a "summing interface" (not sure if that is a plug in addon?)

2. Get an Infinity 8 inch on 10 inch sub, a new amp and 2 roof speakers and leave the dash speakers out of the mix.

Which would you suggest is the best option to go towards?
Sponsored links
Old 09-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm... I am a bit apprehensive about offering up a suggestion, as it is always subjective to the listener's tastes. My particular opinion on how a vehicle should sound, is extremely different from just about everyone else's.

With the summing interface, you would need an additional amplifier to power the speakers that you add/replace.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks.

At this point, I think I am just going to rip the factory stuff out. Replace the amp, all speakers and the sub and just be done with it. Probably run by the local sound system store that does installs and get a list of everything needed and then slowly buy until I get everything needed to complete the system. Hopefully I can keep the head unit in the process.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:45 PM

Vehicle: 2011 ram 1500 sport
Trim Level: Sport crew cab
Color: Flame red
Rep:11
11bigred is on a distinguished road

You can keep the head unit,just get rid of the rest.

Maybe just cut the center channel speaker and the roof speakers out of the mix,get some decent aftermarket dash speakers and run them off the factory amp and then run the 4 doors off your 4 channel amp or if your going to do 1 sub get a nice 5 channel amp.

Let us know
Old 09-07-2011, 11:06 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed ^^^ Kind of... I would agree to eliminate the center and roof speakers entirely. But I would probably run the rear speakers off the factory amp if you decide to keep it. Then I would use the summing interface to create a solid front stage with your 6x9" in the doors, and then some nice 3.5" in the dash corners.

Last edited by chithead; 09-07-2011 at 11:49 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:33 PM

Rep:22
MADDOG is on a distinguished road

I can vouch for not having a center speaker. I tried it with and without...definitely prefer the without for a nice clear front sound stage.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Slept on this last night and decided to get rid of the center speaker like you said and the roof speakers. The ceiling speakers are actually mounted in sockets/cups attached to the headliner and not the roof as I had hoped.

I was thinking of running the factory amp to the 2 Infinity Kappa 52.9i rear door speakers but now I see the Dodge put 6x9s in all four doors. So... I guess I will be picking up another set of Infinity Kappa 6x9s. Then running up a 5 channel amp to power the 8 or 10 inch sub, 2 front door Kappas and two dash speakers.

Question is, is the factory amp running the two read door speakers going to be strong enough to match the new amp and speakers?

Ok, looking at this gear.

I have two of these in my closet.
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...TS-SW841D.aspx

New Amp:
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...e_MRX-V60.aspx

New dash speakers:
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...ppa_329cf.aspx
Hoping these little buggers will fit!!!

Anyone see any concerns with this setup?

Last edited by HMinus3505; 09-08-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:50 PM

The amp will be OK for the dash speakers and the Pioneers. Just make sure you set it up right because those components want around 120W/channel RMS and that amp only puts out 50W x 4 ch @ 4 ohms. If you go to 2 channel operation then you will get about 150W/channel RMS. If you run it in 4 channel operation the Pioneers will sound a bit strangled.

The Infinity Kappa 3.5" speakers will fit with no problem. You might have to dremel out a bit of material to get them to seat far enough down in the dash so that your speaker grille pops back on. I like the Infinity Kappa speakers...had some 32.7CF 3.5" units in my SRT.

The amp has a third channel (200W X1) and that may be too light for the sub you pick. I'd suggest you get a dedicated amp with a remote gain control know for your sub.

Not sure what you have
Old 09-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 dodge ram 1500 quad / 5.7
Trim Level: SLT
Color: silver on black & wood grain
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
criticalcelt is on a distinguished road

hey all, I have an 05 QC 1500, with the 7 speaker infinity sys. I have a custom box for under the seat, with 2 10's in it and AMP, I did this a few years ago, I had it installed profesional ( the right way )
I know about the pre amp deal. My question is this, I have noticed as of late that my front door speakers don't sound the same any more, I would like to just change them, and most likely I will change all 4 door speakers, firstly, what size are in the doors ?
And I dodn't know is there something better I can put in ? or should I just stick with infinity ? And if i do stick with infinity, are there better ones that will match up with stock head unit ? thanks a Ton ....
Old 09-10-2011, 08:17 PM

I can't pick the speakers for you. What I'd suggest is that you go listen to some and pick what sounds good to you.

The speakers will have to match up with your amp. Infinity Kappa Series is one type you should look at. The problem is I believe your stock amp is a 7-channel that puts out about 28W per channel at 2 ohms. Most aftermarket speakers are 4 ohms.

So, your speaker options with the stock amp might be limited compared to what's available in 4 ohms. Boss Audio, CDTAudio, SoundStream and Infinity (the Kappa Series) are good 2 ohm speakers.

Speaker sizes:

Dash - 3.5"

Front door - 6.5" stock. A 5.25" will fit with the proper adapter.

Rear door - 6.5" stock. A 5.25" will fit with the proper adapter.

Interestingly enough, if you like the sound of Infinity Kappa speakers, they have speakers that will fit all your stock locations.
Closed Thread