DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: 4x4 Quad Cab Sport
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:86
Brutus will become famous soon enough

I'm tired and I really don't feel like reading pages and pages to find my info... sorry.

i have an 06' QC. currently has the base 4 speaker. what are the factory sizes, dash? front door? rear door?

i gather,
dash is 3-1/2"?
front door is 6x9?
rear door?

has anyone put 8" in the doors?
4" fit in the dash w/o too much hacking?

I've done a few systems in my days, so I'm pretty familiar with what it takes to make them fit. I'm just trying to put together a wish list right now

thanks
Sponsored links
Old 11-09-2011, 10:57 PM

Rep:22
MADDOG is on a distinguished road

Dash - 3.5"

Front Doors - 6X9

Rear Door - 5.5" or 6.5" if it has the Infinity system.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:41 PM

Vehicle: 2011 cc 4x4
Trim Level: laramie
Color: bright white/gold
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:71
Ramsrule123 will become famous soon enough
Default replace stock amp?

I have a 2011 laramie w the alpine system. is the stock amp worthwhile? I was thinking of upgrading to a a rockford fosgate amp for more punch in the system. any thoughts?
Old 11-14-2011, 03:43 PM

I'd upgrade the alpine amp. And, just so you know, the speakers aren't that great, either. Before you go jump on an amp, pick out some speakers you like, install them and give that a try. Then, keeping in mind your speaker specs, find an amp that will drive them efficiently.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:49 PM

thanks, i really want more bass. upgrading a stereo is a slippery slope (which i'm sure you well know) and I can live w the stock speakers for now. can you recommend a fosgate amp? thanks
Old 11-14-2011, 03:53 PM

Nope, I can't recommend a Fosgate amp. No experience with those at all.

Ask me about Alpine, JL, Audison and Hertz...

Additional bass will certainly help. Eventually, you'll want more definition of the sound stage up front, that's when the new main amp and speakers come into play.

If you want more bass, you are limited by the stock sub. Consider doing a amp and subwoofer at the same time. JL has some good stuff for a very reasonable price.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:55 PM

ok, what alpine amp would you replace it with? by the way, sorry for the newbie questions, are they pretty much plug and play replacements these days? haven't replaced an amp since i was 19, many moons ago...

Last edited by Ramsrule123; 11-14-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Dark Red
Rep:10
quadx350 is on a distinguished road

I"ve read through most of the posts and don't think I"ve seen the question I'm looking for. I don't have the alpine system in mine. but yet I'm amazed at how much it pounds for stock speakers with no sub woofer. but its still not enough so I really want to redo all the speakers and put my rockford fostgate p2 under the seat. Which are some of the best speakers on the market to go along with this? I had 4 alpine type s speakers amped. with 2 rockford fostage p2s. in my old trailblazer. when i took all the amps out and subs i just left the speakers in. and i would have to say that the speakers that are in the truck now have better bass then they ever did amped or un amped! thanks a ton! also price really isn't a issue i plan to keep the truck for a long time and want something that sounds nice. yet with the sub how can i reduce my chances of everything rattleing? thanks again! or is there a simpler alternative? thanks!!!!
Old 11-14-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsrule123 View Post
ok, what alpine amp would you replace it with? by the way, sorry for the newbie questions, are they pretty much plug and play replacements these days? haven't replaced an amp since i was 19, many moons ago...
The so-called "Alpine" amp in these trucks probably has a proprietary plug interface on it that only fits the Ram wiring harness. To upgrade to a regular market Alpine amp, you'll need a PacAudio interface harness.

Also, believe it or not, the stock amp stays in the system to provide a digital signal to the aftermarket amp.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadx350 View Post
I"ve read through most of the posts and don't think I"ve seen the question I'm looking for. I don't have the alpine system in mine. but yet I'm amazed at how much it pounds for stock speakers with no sub woofer. but its still not enough so I really want to redo all the speakers and put my rockford fostgate p2 under the seat. Which are some of the best speakers on the market to go along with this? I had 4 alpine type s speakers amped. with 2 rockford fostage p2s. in my old trailblazer. when i took all the amps out and subs i just left the speakers in. and i would have to say that the speakers that are in the truck now have better bass then they ever did amped or un amped! thanks a ton! also price really isn't a issue i plan to keep the truck for a long time and want something that sounds nice. yet with the sub how can i reduce my chances of everything rattleing? thanks again! or is there a simpler alternative? thanks!!!!
I can't pick speakers for you. What sounds good to me may not sound good to you. I'd go listen to some and pick them based on how good they sound to you.

A component set with external crossovers are usually better sounding than your standard speaker. They take more power as well so when you are looking for speakers, remember that your stock amp may not do a good job of driving them.

With the sub in place, any rattles you may have will be easy to track down. Get you some of the sheets of sound deadening material and be ready to chase at least a few. You can't avoid them because, until you put that sub in, there's nothing in the truck now to bring the rattles forward.

Good luck.
Closed Thread