DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 09:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 dodge ram
Trim Level: ?
Color: silver
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
babykamren is on a distinguished road
Default front door speaker size

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
Daniel (chithead) and Jared (dodgeman70592) have generously offered up their time and expertise to answer your audio questions in this thread.

You will also want to read Jared's Basic Car Audio Electronics thread in this section.

So...do you have an audio question? Post them up here!

we have tried 2 different brands of 6x9's in my husbands truck, and the magnets are too big to fit? i think they both had different size magnets though...wondering why im having difficulty finding a 6x9 to fit in the door????
Sponsored links
Old 04-28-2012, 12:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 ram 1500 sport
Trim Level: sport
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
bigduke77 is on a distinguished road

hi i have and 09 1500 sport crew cab and all the under seat sub enclosures are for the quad cab is there a pre built one available for the crew cab (bigger cab) or are they the same rear seat area?
Old 04-29-2012, 12:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Blue
Rep:17
Jsty093083 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparMike10 View Post
If all you want to add is a basic sub to your stock system, that won't be too difficult and you'll need just a few things. First, the speaker and enclosure which can be bought as a pre-made setup from companies like MTX, JL Audio and Q-Logic. Next you'll need an amplifier to power it, and since you are running a stock radio you have two choices for how to get the signal from the stereo to the amp. A line converter will tap into the speaker wiring in the rear doors and give an RCA cable that will plug into the amp or there are amps that accept high level inputs (the speaker wiring connects straight to the amp). Lastly you'll need an amplifier wiring kit to run power cable from the battery to the amp, ground the amp to the truck, provide a fuse for protection, and a remote turn on wire that tells the amp when to turn on and off. This remote wire can be connected to the cigarette lighter's wiring in the rear or front of the truck. Make sure that the cigarette lighter that is tapped into only powers on when the key is turned, some provide power when the vehicle is off. Good luck and post some pics when you complete your project.
Cool thx for the info, one other question, looking at buying a fitted box for under the passenger side, found this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-RAM-CR...ht_2792wt_1163
and this:

would you go 8" or 10", not sure about airspace and such so not sure which to go with, dont need it to blow the windows out, just want some added base and it to sound clean.
RC leveling kit. American eagle 20x10 -21 offset wheels. EGR flat black pocket style flares. War paint hood decal. Magnaflow cat back system. AFE stage 2 intake. Diablosport trinity w/ Hemifever tune. Sony XAV-701hd w/ 10" kicker. Air lift 1000 rear leveling kit.

Last edited by Jsty093083; 04-29-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star w/ 26L pkg
Color: Brilliant White Clearcoat
Rep:65
MoparMike10 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by babykamren View Post
we have tried 2 different brands of 6x9's in my husbands truck, and the magnets are too big to fit? i think they both had different size magnets though...wondering why im having difficulty finding a 6x9 to fit in the door????
The doors were designed for much shallower speakers, so aftermarket ones will often need spacers to account for this. I can't recommend a speaker that will fit as is (maybe someone else here can), but you can make some spacers out of wood, plastic or something of the like and there are places where you can buy them pre-made as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsty093083 View Post
Cool thx for the info, one other question, looking at buying a fitted box for under the passenger side, found this:
and this:

would you go 8" or 10", not sure about airspace and such so not sure which to go with, dont need it to blow the windows out, just want some added base and it to sound clean.
It all depends on what speaker you are talking about. There are some awesome 8s out there that are enough for some people but others insist bigger is better. The truth is that a sub will only perform as well as its enclosure allows. Pick a box that you like and then choose a speaker that will perform well within the box's specifications and limitations is the best advice I can give. If you want to know which brands to choose, Alpine Type R's, Kicker CXT's, Image Dynamics and JL Audio all are widely used in similar applications because they perform well in them.

Audio - Pioneer AVH-P4400BH - PPI Phantom 900.4 and 1000.1 - Boston Pro 60s - Hybrid Audio Legatia L3s - 2x Image Dynamic IDQ10s
Mods - GroundForce 2/3 lowering kit - 24" Color-matched Wheels - K&N Intake - Katzkin Leather Interior
Old 04-30-2012, 08:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 quadcab
Trim Level: slxt
Color: black
darchole is on a distinguished road
Default 2012 qc under seat volume

im tempting to make a ported box molded to the space under the bench in the back can anybody tell me the volume of this area to the hight of the bottom of the seat

thanks
Old 04-30-2012, 11:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie Mega Cab
Color: Khaki
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
gsteve@hammatt.com is on a distinguished road
Default 2006 REC upgrade to Kenwood?

Hi
I have a 2006 2500HD with Infinity REC unit, with all the bells & whistles except multiple backup videos and bluetooth cell phone, and I've check my options of upgrading the REC or upgrading to newer (Kenwood) 7" screen unit with everything already builtin. I'll then sell my perfectly good Infinity REC unit on eBay. This seems to make the best economic sense.
My question(s) centers around which new unit to purchase. I like the Garmin GPS vs. my current GPS in the REC unit, so I'm leaning towards Kenwood.
I'd be interested in any recommendations.........I am not into power, noise, speakers, etc. I drive my rig long distances with an enclosed car trailer. One other concern I have is trailer and total rig security. Is there anything to consider in the A/V area regarding overnight security of the trailer, cargo or truck that I should consider?
Thanks for any assistance.
Steve
Old 05-01-2012, 12:18 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsteve@hammatt.com View Post
Hi
I have a 2006 2500HD with Infinity REC unit, with all the bells & whistles except multiple backup videos and bluetooth cell phone, and I've check my options of upgrading the REC or upgrading to newer (Kenwood) 7" screen unit with everything already builtin. I'll then sell my perfectly good Infinity REC unit on eBay. This seems to make the best economic sense.
My question(s) centers around which new unit to purchase. I like the Garmin GPS vs. my current GPS in the REC unit, so I'm leaning towards Kenwood.
I'd be interested in any recommendations.........I am not into power, noise, speakers, etc. I drive my rig long distances with an enclosed car trailer. One other concern I have is trailer and total rig security. Is there anything to consider in the A/V area regarding overnight security of the trailer, cargo or truck that I should consider?
Thanks for any assistance.
Steve

I am also a fan of the Garmin based GPS as I've found it's more encompasing and easier to navigate menues with compared to others I've used. Any of the GPS units I've put into my work vehicles have been Garmin based after I literally drove off the map in Northern Alberta using a TomTom, and that was with their Canadian map package, but apparently they don't consider oil field work locations as relevant unless you're on a provincial road.

Since I've installed my pioneer system I've had no worries about security since nav is a VERY standard feature these days and they're just not as special and in-demand as they used to be. With nav systems, you don't have detachable faceplates or those options, so one you put it in, it's there for good unless you decide to install a 1-DIN slide-out head unit, but they've always worried me with all those moving parts.

One good thing about a nav system, you can install a back-up cam... on your trailer, so you can have a view directly behind the trailer rathen than the typical blind spot.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:55 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: Red
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
NickyD is on a distinguished road

I have a 2008 1500 quad cab. looking to put 2 10 inch subs in it and a new stereo. I am looking at the Kicker Cvr series right now. Thoughts? Also can someone recommend a box?
Old 05-10-2012, 02:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT 4x4
Color: Khaki Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
THC1 is on a distinguished road
Default Help picking system for 08 quad cab

I've read until my eyes hurt so I'm looking for some opinions.

My truck has the infinity system and it's junk. My last Chevrolet had the Bose and it was awesome so I'm upgrading.

Order so far.
Kicker 10zx4001 Zx400.1 400-watt Mono Sub Amplifi
Custom fit sub box with 12" Kicker sub
Polk Audio DB691 6-by-9-Inch 3-Way Speakers
Polk Audio DB521 5.25-Inch Coaxial Speakers

I know I need a new bezel because I prefer a head unit that is clean and flush as opposed to the flip out kind. I also want to install a back-up camera. Can somebody point me to a great head unit that you know will fit inside the nav factory bezel I will be purchasing? Something in the $400 or less range would be nice.
I prefer Pioneer, Kenwood, or Alpine but I'm flexible.

Note: My son is the electronics guy so I'm not sure if he intends to bypass the factory amp or not so any opinions/directions on that with the items I've listed would be helpful.

Thanks in Advance!
THC1
Old 05-12-2012, 02:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2006 dodge ram 1500
Rep:35
Drum4the1 is on a distinguished road

Hi guys, mine, I hope, is a simple question. I just picked up a 2006 1500 with stock stereo. While driving I use the front aux jack to run my iPod through. Every time I start the truck the selection always defaults back to the radio. Is there a way to keep it on the aux setting? I'll be changing the unit soon but in the mean time it's really annoying to have to select the aux channel each time i start the truck. Thanks.
Closed Thread