DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 05:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
twmotox is on a distinguished road
Default ptt

I am installing a kenwood 8890 in my 2012 ram. I know this is a stupid question but what is the purpose of the PTT button? Also there is a wire marked mute coming out of the HU. Wouldnt that already be taken care of through my installation and I just leave that wire alone? Thanks Tony
Sponsored links
Old 02-23-2013, 03:26 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Big Horn
Color: Deep Water Blue
Rep:611
InDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by twmotox View Post
I am installing a kenwood 8890 in my 2012 ram. I know this is a stupid question but what is the purpose of the PTT button? Also there is a wire marked mute coming out of the HU. Wouldnt that already be taken care of through my installation and I just leave that wire alone? Thanks Tony
check what the wiring book from your radio says to connect it to. Some radios require a mute button wired into another wire to work properly.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Red
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
ringmic is on a distinguished road
Default left speakers do not work

I just bought a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 and it looks to have the stock stereo speaker package. I can only get the right side speakers to work. No sound from the left side speakers...front or back.

I would be grateful for any advice
Also....I have a plow on the truck and when I actuate any movement of the plow the radio goes out until I stop the plow movement.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 dodge ram
Trim Level: laramie
Color: white
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
wickwire is on a distinguished road
Default Adding amp and subs to 2010 with Alpine system

Good evening to all. I am adding the jl audio stealth box and a rockford 1500 amp to my 2010 ram with the alpine system. Trying to tap into stock system with loc. I got an amp diagram from crutchfield for the stock amp. The wire colors on the diagram dont match the wires actually in the harness for the door speakers. Cant find the LR (-) GY/LGR, the LR(+)GY/GR, or the RR(-)GN/LGR. I found a grey with pink stripe, a grey with a black stripe. Any info appreciated.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:01 AM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

Here what might be considered a stupid question. I've done some searching, and some more reading through this thread. I didn't find my answers..

I've got the stock Alpine system, with the basic head unit set up (I can never remember the code LOL).

I've been contemplating upgrading to something aftermarket. Do I need to worry about everything working, or other problems that are associated with the Alpine system? I've heard in past years that the Infinity was hell when installing an aftermarket system.

I'm assuming (Yeah I know what happens) that there are wiring harnesses available for both the OEM harness, and another for the steering wheel controls. (I'll probably go with a Pioneer or Kenwood head unit if I actually do more than talk)

thanks for your help

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 03-01-2013, 09:02 AM

InDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excoastie View Post
Here what might be considered a stupid question. I've done some searching, and some more reading through this thread. I didn't find my answers..

I've got the stock Alpine system, with the basic head unit set up (I can never remember the code LOL).

I've been contemplating upgrading to something aftermarket. Do I need to worry about everything working, or other problems that are associated with the Alpine system? I've heard in past years that the Infinity was hell when installing an aftermarket system.

I'm assuming (Yeah I know what happens) that there are wiring harnesses available for both the OEM harness, and another for the steering wheel controls. (I'll probably go with a Pioneer or Kenwood head unit if I actually do more than talk)

thanks for your help

Exco
You don't read my build thread much do you There are seperate harness' for the steering wheel controls as well as the audio harness. I went from the standard CD player radio to a Double Din Pioneer AVH-P8400BH. Not the easiest of installs but well worth it IMO. The problem with upgrading from the factory single Din to the Double Din is that there's a pesky support brace in the way that has to be hacked out, and then you have to modify the bracket adapters and opening just a little bit for it to fit properly. The Harness for the Radio I got from PAC works great, just match up the colors on the wires and your done. As for the steering wheel controls.... I got lazy the harness is still siting in my tool box. I got impatient waiting for 3 days (because I painted the console bits) to have a radio again, so Iput it all together without the harness.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:15 AM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDeepWaterBlue View Post
You don't read my build thread much do you

I must admit, no I don't read much in the way of build threads. You can chock it up to my laziness LOL.

Thanks for the info. It sound to me like it might too much trouble to try to go with anything that is double din (it goes back to the laziness thing). I may look into something that is single din, and then decide from there.

What I'm really wanting is something that has a hard drive, but is also affordable (~$200-$300). I don't believe that such an animal exists, but there are many that will play MP3s through a USB, which is also acceptable to me.

I'll find something. I haven't truly decided that I even want to upgrade, as once the head unit gets upgraded, it leads to speakers, amps, etc..

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 03-02-2013, 09:32 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Rep:18
rango88 is on a distinguished road

I currently Have the base 6 speaker stereo in my Ram and I have Infiniti 6 1/2 Round speakers and Infiniti Type R 5x8. I was just wondering if the Base head unit could supply enough power to those speakers without an aftermarket Amp

Infiniti are 65 watts RMS
Alpine are 50 Watts RMS

Also will these speakers fit in the OEM door area (Infiniti in the front and Alpines in the back?)
Old 03-02-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rango88 View Post
I currently Have the base 6 speaker stereo in my Ram and I have Infiniti 6 1/2 Round speakers and Infiniti Type R 5x8. I was just wondering if the Base head unit could supply enough power to those speakers without an aftermarket Amp

Infiniti are 65 watts RMS
Alpine are 50 Watts RMS

Also will these speakers fit in the OEM door area (Infiniti in the front and Alpines in the back?)
base head unit can handle the door speakers just fine, as for fitment if they're the same size as factory you won't have an issue. The only thing you won't know until you install them is how deep the speaker is, and sometimes (though rarely) a spacer need to be put installed with the speaker.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excoastie View Post
I must admit, no I don't read much in the way of build threads. You can chock it up to my laziness LOL.

Thanks for the info. It sound to me like it might too much trouble to try to go with anything that is double din (it goes back to the laziness thing). I may look into something that is single din, and then decide from there.

What I'm really wanting is something that has a hard drive, but is also affordable (~$200-$300). I don't believe that such an animal exists, but there are many that will play MP3s through a USB, which is also acceptable to me.

I'll find something. I haven't truly decided that I even want to upgrade, as once the head unit gets upgraded, it leads to speakers, amps, etc..

Exco
You'd be amazed how much the stock Alpine system sounds with an upgraded stereo. The Pioneer I have has a nice adjustable EQ and I think the speakers are great. Mids and highs are much crisper. I'm sure there's a couple options out there for you, there's a few radios that take memory sticks that you can load up with songs, and the memory stick itself is behind the face plate so you'd ever see it. I don't blame you for being lazy, it's the reason mypost count is still so low in comparison to others that joined around the same time I did And installing a double DIN into the base location definitely isn't for someone who doesn't want to work hahaa
Closed Thread