DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - News Desk > Newbie Checkin!

Notices

Newbie Checkin! New to the forums? Introduce yourself here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-04-2010, 09:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
RamLady is on a distinguished road
Default Any advise for a new Ram owner?

I'm a HP junkie...drove my Jeep like a wild woman (loved the V8), but needed a 4x4 (Jeep Commander was a 2WD). We ordered an AWD Infiniti FX but the dealership screwed up twice and turns out to be a blessing. We're relocating from San Antonio to Denver. Since we hadn't yet gotten the infiniti and we're a bit stressed about selling our house/buying another (potential for 2 mortgage payments), I needed to have more disposable income. I decided I'd buy a Jeep Wrangler (since I like Jeeps and I could get a 4x4). We went to look and I found the toughest looking one on the lot only to discover it had no lumbar support (important for an older lady)...the salesman asked if a truck was out of the question. I told him I needed a 4x4 so as long as it was a 4x4, a truck wasn't out of the question. Did I mention I learned to drive when I was 10 in an old farm truck...so driving a truck isn't a foreign concept to me. I started looking, first for the 4x4 logo then for the lumbar support. I ended up in a Laramie with a HEMI. I put on my wicked smile and took it for a test drive. The salesman was in the passenger seat, hubby in the back (with a wicked smile on his face too cus he knows I drive like a bat out of hell). I think I scared the salesman, but LOVE the hemi! So the rest is history, I'm wondering why I didn't buy a truck a long time ago. So, if any of you had the patience to get through my "newbie" story...can you share any items I should be mindful of while growing fonder of my new Ram (like it doesn't stop on a dime like a lighter weight vehicle)? P.S. We're using the Ram next week to tow my son's big a#$ boat so any advise about towing is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored links
Old 09-04-2010, 09:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 dodge ram 1500 4x4
Color: silver/chrome
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:101
sobercrew will become famous soon enoughsobercrew will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to sobercrew Send a message via Skype™ to sobercrew

Welcome to forumz you will find alot of help on here. Towing wize nothing a good brake controller and some nice upgraded brakes with slotted and drilled rotors wont solve. That is the best way of making that big truck stop. Oh and also SLOW DOWN TURBO lol jk. Besides that if you dont have enough power for your likings go for the big 3 which is cold air intake, programmer which a diablosport predator is recomended for you and a good exaust system.

More help is on its way and good luck with the new truck hopefully some pics can find there way on here for us to look at

Hope this helped a little

NEW SIG PIC YAY
Old 09-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks for the advice! I'll post some photos soon. Horns are busy celebrating, they said "hell yeah!"
Old 09-04-2010, 09:39 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: RootBeer
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Welcome to the Z. Congrats on the new Ram. Like sobercrew said, the big 3 are what most here go for first. As for towing, take it easy, you shouldn't need do anything with your brakes. Does the boat trailer have brakes? If so, you might want to get the brake controller installed on the truck if it doesn't have it. How much do the boat and trailer weigh?

Check your window sticker, it should tell you what gears you have 3.21, 3.55, or 3.92. With the 3.21's and 3.55 it'll be a bit slow starting off, especially towing, but you'll get better MPG. The 3.92's give you good starting off power but you sacrifice a bit of MPG.

We have a lot of forums for all kinds of topics, so you shouldn't have any problems finding a place to post questions.

We LOVE pics of Rams.

Here's how to post them: http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73

You may find this discussion on CAI's useful http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread....cai+evaluation
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 09-04-2010, 09:45 PM

sobercrew will become famous soon enoughsobercrew will become famous soon enough

Glad to be of help if there is anything else you have questions about with your new truck feel free to post a thread or send me a private msg and i can try to direct you to the right spot.

Cant wait to see some pics

NEW SIG PIC YAY
Old 09-04-2010, 09:55 PM
erm

Welcome to the forum. Your truck should do fine towing the boat unless it's a really big a**ed boat!

Things to remember.

1. The Ram is bigger and heavier than your Jeep so it won't stop as quickly. Leave more room between you and the person in front of you, especially when towing.

2. The Ram is wider and longer than your Jeep. So when you turn, give yourself and your Ram plenty of room.

3. You have a HEMI. So it doesn't take as much gas pedal to move it. Or, in your case, the more pedal the more fun, right?

So have a good time with the truck!
Old 09-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks for the advice...yes, the more the petal the more the fun! I do have to be careful with the distance between me and the driver in front of me, that's for sure.

I'm not sure how much that boat weighs but it's big...it's a wake-boarding boat with lots of decks on it...he bought it at a steal and needed to refurbish it. It's done now and he's ready to test it. Works great becasue I want to test all the functions of my truck. My son gets his thirst for speed/power quite naturally. He's used to towing his toys but honestly think he was a little concerned about this boat. His GF has a 4x4 Nissan Titan but he seemed pretty pleased when I offered up the Ram. He'll do the towing and he's a responsible young man, he probably already knows all this. I just wanted to surprise him with what I knew.

Oh, I did try to post a couple photos...says they are too big (using JPG...do I need to change the extension)?
Old 09-04-2010, 10:10 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

Congrats on the truck!!

Remember Dodge recommends you put at least 500 miles on your truck before towing anything.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:13 PM

You will probably have to resize them a little http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73 this will tell you how to upload them and the sizes they need to be

NEW SIG PIC YAY
Old 09-04-2010, 10:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

How does one post a private thread? Also, how does one accept friends? I clicked "accept friend" and nothing happened...