DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L (345 cu in) HEMI V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-05-2010, 12:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
sonny13 is on a distinguished road
Default 4x4 on 2011 Ram lil help?

Hello.
I just purchased a 2011 Ram 1500 sport. In the manual it states that you MUST hit the neutral button on the dash (right below 4x4 dial) first then put the truck in 4x4. The manual actually states put into neutral before going into 4x4. (4x4 is the dial on the fly) Anyway the truck does not go into 4x4 when you do this, I actually tried 3 other trucks and none of them did. I called around......3 different mechanics from 3 different dealers stated the neutral button is only for when the truck has to be towed (especially if it is stuck in 4x4 and has to be towed).

I called dodge main office,,,,, a man called back left message saying the truck has to be in neutral before you go into 4x4. I wanted to know if anyone knew about this.
Besides the different messages the truck is GREAT,,,, 1st dodge (always had ford lol) and it is just really nice.

Any info is appreciated and sorry for the long post........ This site seems really cool,,, a true wealth of information

thanks

2011 Ram sport
Old 09-05-2010, 01:04 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3269
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

You can switch into 4HI on the fly, so long as you keep the speed low and you're not on dry pavement. In order to switch to 4LO, you MUST put it into neutral before shifting. As for the neutral button inorder to tow, I'd never heard of that before since you'd still be putting strain on the drivetrain despite it being in neutral... they should always put the wheels on travellers before moving it due to the fact that both axles are drive related.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:40 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

You did tell them that it was a 2011, not a 1911 truck?
I've been driving 4x4 trucks for a few decades, and I don't believe for a minute that you have to shift to neutral to switch into 4x4 mode, unless it's to switch into...or out of 4LO.
For normal 4 wheel drive operation, you should be able to switch between 2WD and 4WD (4HI) at any time. Having said that, you should not be shifting into 4WD when your tires are on a high traction surface (ie - dry pavement). Besides, if your on dry pavement or other high traction surface, what are shifting into 4WD for anyway?

Can you post the page/section of the manual, or post the 'exact' wording from the section you are reading. I wonder if there is either of a) a typo in the manual, or b) it wording is confusing or misleading. There are a number of members here that are very familiar with 4x4 trucks, and can possibly interpret the manuals intent and deliver in a much more understandable way.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 09-05-2010, 03:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 RCSB 4x4 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Blizzard white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:23
MoparerNocar is on a distinguished road

Odd, you should just have to throw it in 4wd. I know in my 04 when I click it into 4wd no matter what speed, sometimes going 100 on the highway in the winter, she clicks right in with no complaints, in the river yesterday I was screwing around in 2wd, ended up getting stuck backing up and had to throw it in 4wd without letting off the gas cause it might drown (exhaust is dumped down underneath, no alot of back pressure), and anyway the rear tires were still hucking up water and stuff, threw it in 4wd and it clicked right in without a sound and it was instant. I'm VERY VERY VERY impressed with how my t case has operated at all times in this truck, very impressed.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks for the replies . I thought the manual was a typo ,,, but then a some dodge rep left a message saying you had to (think he is wrong lol)

the manual reads...Shifting between 2H and 4H and 4L must be made with the transmission in NEUTRAL and the vehicle stopped or rolling at 2-3 mph.

That is what the manual says....

Go figure lol
Old 09-05-2010, 10:54 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

You can shift from 2h to 4h up to 60mph. However, going from 2h or 4h to 4L you need to put the transmission in neutral and preferably be stopped. The same goes for going from 4L the other way.

Some here even go as far as to stop and turn off the motor before shifting to or from 4L which is a great idea.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 09-06-2010, 01:06 AM
Just some guy in Canada

brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Does your 4x4 selector have a 4WD Auto position ?

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 09-06-2010, 02:50 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

yes mine has on the dial in order.... 2WD, 4WD AUTO, 4WD LOCK , 4WD LOW

I had never heard of having to go into neutral before 4wd (only 4 low)

i just did nt want to "mess anything up" lol
Old 09-06-2010, 03:07 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Your transfer case is most likely the NV246, unless it has been changed for 2011 (unlikely). Here is the operation description for that transfer case from the 2010 owners manual (page 329 - 331)

************Begin Quote**************
2WD to/from 4WD AUTO or 4WD LOCK
Rotate the 4WD Control Switch to the desired position.
Shifts between 2WD and 4WD AUTO and 4WD LOCK
can be done with the vehicle stopped or in motion. With
the vehicle in motion, the transfer case will engage/
disengage faster if you momentarily release the accelerator
pedal after turning the control switch. If the vehicle is
stopped, the ignition switch must be in the ON position
with the engine either running or OFF. This shift cannot
be completed if the ignition switch is in the ACC position.

2WD or 4WD AUTO or 4WD LOCK to/from 4WD LOW
NOTE: When shifting into or out of 4WD LOW some
gear noise may be heard. This noise is normal and is not
detrimental to the vehicle or occupants.
Shifting can be performed with the vehicle rolling 2 to
3 mph (3 to 5 km/h) or completely stopped
. Use either of
the following procedures:
Preferred Procedure
1. With the engine running, slow the vehicle to 2 to
3 mph (3 to 5 km/h).
2. Shift the transmission into NEUTRAL.
3. While still rolling, rotate the transfer case control
switch to the desired position.
4. After the desired position indicator light is ON (not
flashing), shift the transmission back into gear.
Alternate Procedure
1. Bring the vehicle to complete stop.
2. With the ignition switch in the ON position and the
engine either OFF or running, shift the transmission into
NEUTRAL.
3. Rotate the transfer case control switch to the desired
position.
4. After the desired position indicator light is ON (not
flashing), shift the transmission back into gear.

NOTE: If Steps 1 or 2 of either the Preferred or Alternate
Procedure are not satisfied prior to attempting the shift or
if they no longer are being met while the shift attempt is
in process, the desired position indicator light will flash
continuously while the original position indicator light is
ON, until all requirements have been met.
NOTE: The ignition switch must be in the ON position
for a shift to take place and for the position indicator
lights to be operable. If the ignition switch is not in the
ON position, then the shift will not take place and no
position indicator lights will be on or flashing.
************End Quote****************

Hope this helps!

Old 09-06-2010, 07:56 AM

Vehicle: 2010 slt quad cab
Trim Level: slt
Color: mineral gray
Rep:18
erik108 is on a distinguished road

i think my dads 1977 gmc jimmy had to go to ave tranny in neutral, NOT THESE RAM BRO, !!!