DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-06-2010, 09:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2008 Ram SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:11
PB1500SLT is on a distinguished road
Default Gearing up for a visit to the dealer..

Well in my short time of owning my truck thus far, i've started to notice 2 noises that worry me.

1. Going over some speed bumps ive noticed a noise coming from the front that sounds like a bad strut/shock, as its a squeek as long as the front is coming down the bump, sort of like its related to the compression being placed on the shock.

2. What I think is either the infamous hemi tick, or an exhaust leak. Lots of people say they mostly hear the tick at idle and start up, but mine happens mostly during acceleration. I can hear a very faint ticking at idle, but like I said very faint, and i've had other cars that are way worse then that, so its probably just normal drivetrain noise. When I do hear the ticking, it's during accel, and you can hear it quite obviously, and its extremely easy to hear if you're driving down a road and there is some sort of median between you and the other side of the road. As an example, I was turning out of my neighborhood driving normally, and as i was passing trees on my direct left I could hear a ticking very clearly, and as soon as I let off the gas it was gone, and the harder I pressed the more audible it was, hence why I believe it is an exhaust leak.

Now as we all know, most stealerships will look for a way out of doing any service. My truck is an 08 with just under 48k kilometers 100% stock. What are some things I can do and say to the tech when I show up? My visit should consist of transferring the warranty to my name, and bringing these problems to light. I expect the tech to say its "normal" but i'm not really the kind of guy to take these noises as normal, so what should I have ready in response to this?
Sponsored links
Old 09-06-2010, 11:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Rep:2217
iRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond repute

I have made it a point to personally know my service staff. From my advisor to my tech, I know their families and how their day goes. I have been told by them that they get paid for warranty, so to say anyone is looking at getting out of warranty is bogus. If I felt I was being denied warranty work, which is illegal, I would go to the higher ups. I don't think we need to be ungentlemanly here.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2008 Ram SLT
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:11
PB1500SLT is on a distinguished road

Like I said, from my own personal experiences, they do. Not like it's an everyday, every customer thing, but its out there.

That's great you know the service staff at your dealership; I just got my truck a couple weeks ago and haven't even gone in yet. I never said that they will look for a way out, just that a lot would rather sluff off these things as "normal" which is why I said i'd like some ideas for a response to them so they have to check into it
Old 09-06-2010, 11:46 PM

iRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond repute

As you were asking for advice, being a previous warranty clerk, I would advise you to know exactly what your expecting from your dealership. If they come back with "That's normal", then have a follow-up plan. What about another dealership locally? There is the "Hemi tick" that is very common. As for the front end issues, you have a warranty, have them check your suspension. So long as you are as full of details, when and under what conditions these circumstances are occurring, the better your tech will be equipped when he takes it for a test drive.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:48 PM

I also noticed your completely stock and still under warranty, this is a trust issue that you are going to have to give to your dealership. Before assuming they might deny you, or having that fear, give them a fair chance. You never know what they might come back with.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:49 PM
erm

RamTech and PB1500SLT:

That will be enough. No flaming each other in the open forum.

I will not take sides in this matter.

PB1500SLT, you obviously don't trust your dealer. I don't know why that is but it is to your benefit to work it out with them. It is not a good idea to start the service request with an obvious lack of trust or communication with your dealer. Explain what you are experiencing, clearly and calmly. Ask questions then listen to what they have to say after they do the diagnostics. If you are not satisfied with the service or the condition persists, go back to them. Your response would be the same as your first service request and you should state it again. Don't argue with them. Rather, insist that the noise is still there, it did not always do this and something is not right.

You'll find the service advisor and technicians will listen and will do everything they can to find the problem. There is no benefit to the dealer to ignore a customer's concerns regarding their vehicle.

As was stated by RamTech, they get paid to do warranty service so there is no financial gain or loss by not doing the work.

In your case I suspect a small exhaust leak is the culprit.

RamTech - Randy, I know you are sensitive to the "stealership" term, which is understandable given your current position as a trained MOPAR technician with considerable experience and numerous certifications. However, your response was beyond what was called for in this instance.

I ask you both to be considerate of each other and the general forum membership.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:50 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Well in my short time of owning my truck thus far, i've started to notice 2 noises that worry me.

1. Going over some speed bumps ive noticed a noise coming from the front that sounds like a bad strut/shock, as its a squeek as long as the front is coming down the bump, sort of like its related to the compression being placed on the shock.

It could very well be a shock or the mount. Shocks are generally not something covered by used car warranties as they are a maintenance item. If you bought the truck new and are still covered by the bumper to bumper warranty, then there should not be any issues with getting it fixed.

2. What I think is either the infamous hemi tick, or an exhaust leak. Lots of people say they mostly hear the tick at idle and start up, but mine happens mostly during acceleration. I can hear a very faint ticking at idle, but like I said very faint, and i've had other cars that are way worse then that, so its probably just normal drivetrain noise. When I do hear the ticking, it's during accel, and you can hear it quite obviously, and its extremely easy to hear if you're driving down a road and there is some sort of median between you and the other side of the road. As an example, I was turning out of my neighborhood driving normally, and as i was passing trees on my direct left I could hear a ticking very clearly, and as soon as I let off the gas it was gone, and the harder I pressed the more audible it was, hence why I believe it is an exhaust leak.

This one would be hard to find. I suggest taking the service advisor or a tech for a ride so you can show it to them. Don't just drop it off and tell them about the problem. If they can't duplicate it, they can't fix it.

Now as we all know, most stealerships will look for a way out of doing any service. My truck is an 08 with just under 48k kilometers 100% stock. What are some things I can do and say to the tech when I show up?

Don't refer to them as a "stealership" would be a good start. Warranty wise they are limited by what is written into the warranty. If you are still covered by the new car bumper to bumper you've got nothing to worry about. If you bought an after-market extended warranty, you will have serious limitations unless you bought the Chrysler Maximum care warranty. My dealer sells their own warranty and I am in the process of canceling it and getting the Chrysler extended warranty.

My visit should consist of transferring the warranty to my name, and bringing these problems to light. I expect the tech to say its "normal" but i'm not really the kind of guy to take these noises as normal, so what should I have ready in response to this?

If you go in with the attitude you have expressed here, you're going to get that same attitude handed back to you. As for getting the warranty transferred to your name, you're going to have to take care of that first before you go to the service department.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 09-06-2010, 11:50 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Custom
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:1648
dodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant future

I wouldn't word it as looking for ways out of work, for the techs will get paid either way. What you are implying though is that most folks revert back to stock to prevent from voiding a warranty. Which is entirely possible and true. While my tech overlooks the fact that I have a ton of mods under the hood, some don't. In all fairness, if having a CAI on your ride made it easier to allow water into the engine to cause a hydrolock, would that be the dealers, Dodge's, the tech's fault? No, it wouldnt. Dealerships don't work and offer services for free, so even with warranty work, they get paid.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD.....lightly modded

2008 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 #3560.....lightly modded
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon....lightly modded (yeah right, it's a Jeep!)
2010 Jeep GC SRT-8.....lightly modded

Last edited by erm; 09-07-2010 at 12:04 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:10 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

I have never had a dealership try to avoid doing any warranty repair on any of my vehicles. In fact, I have only ever experience the complete opposite! They have always 'jumped to the pump' to take care of any concern I've ever voiced, and usually call me within 48 hours of completing the repair to check that everything is to my satisfaction.

The only help I can offer you is to recommend that you take your truck to the service department, and let them do their magic.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 09-07-2010, 02:36 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I go into my dealership & treat them like i would a good neighbor & they have always taken care of my needs, sometimes i have had to return a second time, but, after the initial bad thoughts on my part, my Ram always gets fixed.
my dealership has courtesy shuttle vans & they offer a free rental car if the Ram is going to take more time than i can be without a vehicle.
Just the other day I took it in & heard that it was going to be at least a 1/2 day & maybe longer, engine light was on & they were doing a complete system check
just for the hell of it, i asked one of the shuttle drivers to stop & pick up $20 of assorted donuts, she returned about an hour later having dropped off some customers & the donuts went into the break room. A bit later everyone had a grin on their faces & several came out & thanked me. i guess bribery does work, just doing my part to keep them happy & i'm sure i'll continue to get good service
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle