DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-07-2010, 10:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Maroon
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
Love My 1500 is on a distinguished road
Default heat issue driving me nuts

I know this may have been all ready covered. But I have my truck to the mechanic three times. The heater core was leaking so I had it replaced. I got the truck back barely had heat. Changed the thermostat. (195 degrees) Still luke warm at best. Temperature right at or around 210. Not overheating or running cold. Both the feed and return from the heater core are burning hot to the touch. Mechanic says control for heat is working fine. This is really driving me nuts. Winter coming and no one can get my heat back. Please any help would be appreciated. Especially before I start tearing into my mechanic.
Sponsored links
Old 09-07-2010, 03:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Did the use an OEM core? If you did and both hoses are hot to the touch, I'd get a second opinion on the blend door operation. A water pump issue is possible but pretty unlikely.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Blue
Rep:23
Dtimekw is on a distinguished road

Any update on this? Mine is doing the same thing, luke warm air.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:44
Topdown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtimekw View Post
Any update on this? Mine is doing the same thing, luke warm air.
seems this is a fairly common issue - mine is having the same problem.

going to start the investigation tonight on the heater hoses, etc...

So, if anyone has any input or has gotten theirs fixed, I would dearly like to know.

Thanks
Old 10-25-2010, 04:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

like Randy mentioned, the blend door function may be compromised
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 10-25-2010, 04:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
like Randy mentioned, the blend door function may be compromised
going to try and find that tonight, along with the heater-hose testing.

how do you get to the blend-door to check/test it is the question...?
Old 10-25-2010, 05:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Mine ended up being a dirty heater core. I flushed it, backflushed several times, topped off the rad with water, ran it with full heat for 10 mins etc....I did this about 4 times total. The heater now works like a champ. I put a cooking thermometer in the driver's side vent. With the heat on full speed and all hot, the temp got to ~140* at idle. Give it a try if you haven't already. Hope this helps.

BTW, I disconnected the heater line at the w/p and flushed/backflushed thru the hose then the w/p fitting, all with the radiator cap off. I did this several times (about 4) until clean water was being flushed out everytime. It takes time but it well worth it and FREE too!
Old 10-25-2010, 05:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtimekw View Post
Mine ended up being a dirty heater core. I flushed it, backflushed several times, topped off the rad with water, ran it with full heat for 10 mins etc....I did this about 4 times total. The heater now works like a champ. I put a cooking thermometer in the driver's side vent. With the heat on full speed and all hot, the temp got to ~140* at idle. Give it a try if you haven't already. Hope this helps.

BTW, I disconnected the heater line at the w/p and flushed/backflushed thru the hose then the w/p fitting, all with the radiator cap off. I did this several times (about 4) until clean water was being flushed out everytime. It takes time but it well worth it and FREE too!
Thanks for the info... I might just give that a try regardless of anything else.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

so when I got home tonight, I started looking around in the engine bay... didnt realize it but I had grabbed the radiator hose... and it wasnt uncomfortably hot like I would have expected.

I then grabbed one of the heater hoses and it was cooler than the radiator hose... the other heater hose was about the same temp as the radiator hose.

does that sound like a stuck-open thermostat to anyone else? cause it sure does to me.

and I would expect one of the heater hoses to be cooler than the other after its gone through the heater core, so that seems somewhat normal to me (or at least expected, especially if the thermostat is wide open.

The one tidbit thats also important to note is that I either my temp sending unit or the gauge is bad, because since I picked up the truck a couple of months ago, the temp gauge has never shown a temp.

Also, switching from hot to cold and back I can definitely feel the difference in the temp... but that really doesnt mean much I dont think, does it?

thoughts?
Old 10-26-2010, 04:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

The hoses for the heater core might feel the same temp to the human touch. Lets address the engine temp first. What do the upper and lower hoses feel like as the engine warms up? Hot water from engine flows into the radiator via the TOP hose. The BOTTOM hose feeds the engine with cooled water. During the first few cycles of the t-stat, you should notice a differenct in temp by touching them. If you cannot, or do not have the experience, use a cooking thermometer and keep it in the top of the radiator (DO NOT REMOVE THE CAP ONCE IT'S WARMED UP). After the engine has reached it's full operating temp, you should see a reading ~ 180*-220*. I see you live in Wa State. The ambient temp is probably ~60* where you are so your temp might be a little lower but not much if the truck is sitting still. Did you take a baseline temp reading from your vents? This will help determine if you have done something that has effected the temp reaching the cab. I am in Sunny Fl (don't use heat that often) so let me know how things unfold. I can check my truck to use as a comparison for you without freezing my ARSE off!