DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: '99 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD
Trim Level: Lariat Extended Cab
Color: White with silver lower body
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
dad22153 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dad22153
Default ECM Problems???

I have a '99 Ram 1500, 5.2, and can't get it started. When I turn the ignition on, I should hear the ASD relay click, but it doesn't. I located the power pin for the ECM, and when I test it for power, the relay clicks as it should. It sounds like the ECM may be bad, but before I lay out $200 for a new unit, I wanted to get some opinions, or suggestions on what else I should test for. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Dave
Old 09-09-2010, 01:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 1500 Quad 4WD 5.9
Trim Level: Quad cab
Color: Garnet red
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:202
deanthecrabman has a spectacular aura aboutdeanthecrabman has a spectacular aura aboutdeanthecrabman has a spectacular aura about

Bump^^^^^^
Old 09-09-2010, 09:28 AM

I could really use some help on this one....Thanks.

Dave
Old 09-09-2010, 09:33 AM
erm

I'm sorry...I have no idea what may be wrong. Good Luck!
Old 09-09-2010, 10:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 quad cab 5.2 soon 2B 5.9
Trim Level: slt
Color: blue
JoeDodge is on a distinguished road

If the 5 volts which supplies voltage to the tps, map or crank/cam sensors gets shorted to ground, you will have this condition. If the cel/mil does not come on at key on, this may be an indicator that this wire is shorted to ground. But first, turn key to the run position and wiggle the wiring harness near the rear of the LH valve cover and the intake manifold. If you hear the ASD click, the 5 volt wire is shorted in this area. I have seen several wiring harnesses rub a hole in the wiring at the sharp edge of the valve cover. If this fails, unplug the map, tps and both crank/cam sensors with key OFF. Then turn key on and see if the ASD relay clicks on for 2-3 seconds and then goes off. If the ASD click, you have a shorted sensor or wiring to sensor. Key off, reconnect each sensor one at a time till you find which sensor is shorted. I think (not sure on this truck) there is a 5 volt supply going to the automatic trans. If this wire shorts to ground, it will shut the PCM down also...........or you could have a bad PCM..........JoeDodge
Old 09-09-2010, 12:25 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDodge View Post
If the 5 volts which supplies voltage to the tps, map or crank/cam sensors gets shorted to ground, you will have this condition. If the cel/mil does not come on at key on, this may be an indicator that this wire is shorted to ground. But first, turn key to the run position and wiggle the wiring harness near the rear of the LH valve cover and the intake manifold. If you hear the ASD click, the 5 volt wire is shorted in this area. I have seen several wiring harnesses rub a hole in the wiring at the sharp edge of the valve cover. If this fails, unplug the map, tps and both crank/cam sensors with key OFF. Then turn key on and see if the ASD relay clicks on for 2-3 seconds and then goes off. If the ASD click, you have a shorted sensor or wiring to sensor. Key off, reconnect each sensor one at a time till you find which sensor is shorted. I think (not sure on this truck) there is a 5 volt supply going to the automatic trans. If this wire shorts to ground, it will shut the PCM down also...........or you could have a bad PCM..........JoeDodge
Thanks for the suggestion....I'll check it out
Dave
Old 09-11-2010, 09:28 PM

Angry

Well,
I was going to hit the junk yard yesterday to grab an ECM, but I figured I'd give the old one another try. Plugged in the leads, and I could hear the ASD relay click. Hit the key and the damn thing started up!

However......
I went to try and start it this morning, and NOTHING! This is becoming very frustrating. I'm still tempted to switch out the ECM, as I checked the wiring and could not find any shorts or broken wires.

Any other suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

Dave
Old 09-29-2010, 11:18 PM

Angry

Well,
I replaced the Crank Position Sensor and TPS sensor, and still no fire. Next on my list is to replace the Cam Position Sensor...hopefully that will help. I also sent out the ECM for testing and repair if needed.

One thing I did find...I had a gas leak from the fuel pump feed line. When I dropped the tank, I did find that one of the supply wires had almost broken off, and was only holding on by a strand or two. I replaced the damaged wire and hose connection today. I'm wondering if that frayed wire might have contributed to the problem. I verified the power source was good by grounding the power supply pin on the ECM plug, and turned on the igintion. The pump seems to work fine. With so many possible things that can go wrong, I don't know if this will help fix the problem. God, I HATE electrical troubleshooting!

Dave
Old 09-30-2010, 10:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 quad cab 5.2 soon 2B 5.9
Trim Level: slt
Color: blue
JoeDodge is on a distinguished road

Does the "check engine" light light up and the fuel pump run at key on for a few seconds? If these items are not happening, replacing the cam sensor will do no good, UNLESS, you unplug the cam sensor, turn key on and check engine/fuel pump works. There is also a possibility that there is a short in a 5 volt wire at the transmission. This would shut the PCM down, no check engine light/no codes...nothing from PCM. There may be a "No bus" in the odometer display if the key is in the run position. JoeDodge
Old 09-30-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDodge View Post
Does the "check engine" light light up and the fuel pump run at key on for a few seconds? If these items are not happening, replacing the cam sensor will do no good, UNLESS, you unplug the cam sensor, turn key on and check engine/fuel pump works. There is also a possibility that there is a short in a 5 volt wire at the transmission. This would shut the PCM down, no check engine light/no codes...nothing from PCM. There may be a "No bus" in the odometer display if the key is in the run position. JoeDodge
No check engine light that I recall. Now I don't have the ECM, as I sent it out for testing. What I did do, was find the fuel pump power pin on the ECM plug, ground it and heard the relay click. I turned the key on, and the fuel pump went on.
In terms of the transmission wire, where specifically is this located? I'll check it out. I'm going to replace the cam position sensor in any case, as I was planning to do a major tuneup before cold weather hits. With respect to the "No Buss" on the dash, I am getting that. It's happened before, and did not affect the engine running. What typically causes the "no buss" condition? I heard that this is a typical problem with these trucks.

Dave