DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 ram 1500
Trim Level: sport
Color: brillian black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:75
PorkChop will become famous soon enough

im putting air bags in mine, put them in a friends truck and he loves them....took about 45 min. super easy! i just like them cause they keep the stance of the truck even with weight in the back. i think they asre fire stone...about 150$ canadain
Old 09-10-2010, 11:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 ram 3500 mega cab dually
Trim Level: laramie
Color: western brown and silver
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:44
emax is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeman View Post
I pulled a 29 foot Travel Trailer with a 850lbs tongue weight all Summer long. I used a WD hitch and an Airlift bag system. I opted to use the air bags because of the heavy tongue weight. I've towed with and without the bags and I love it with the bags.
To get most of the 850lbs weight off the truck hitch you need arms like a gorilla to tension the WD hitch.
If your trailer doesn't have a high tongue weight (less than 500lbs) I wouldn't bother with the airbag.
Hey guys thanks for the input. Dukeman the travel trailer that i am thinking of buying has a tongue weight of 708lbs do you think i should put the air bags in I am also getting the WD hitch. I am thinking why not they are only $88.00 and if i don't need them i can just let the air out but it will be nice to have that option at the time i pick up the trailer because the one that i want is in Georgia and it's a 14 hr trip home with it. Better to have and not need then to need and not have thanks again for the input.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:37 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, if you think you may have any amount of benefit with air bags I'd go for it. It's a simple install, and can really help with the stance and handling with a heavy tongue load. I have a set of Firestone 'bags in my 1 ton and they make a huge difference in how I tow.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:18 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Quad
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Blue Streak Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:120
HoustonHemi will become famous soon enoughHoustonHemi will become famous soon enough

The 708 lb tongue weight of the trailer exceeds the 500 lb tongue weight rating of an OEM receiver. I assume you have or will have a different receiver thats rated for this type of load?

'twould be the thing to have!!!

Sure, an LD hitch set up would 'change the dynamics', but here again, I'd opt for something a little 'beefier' in the receiver area.

Last edited by HoustonHemi; 09-11-2010 at 01:45 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
TVDOC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeman View Post
I pulled a 29 foot Travel Trailer with a 850lbs tongue weight all Summer long. I used a WD hitch and an Airlift bag system. I opted to use the air bags because of the heavy tongue weight. I've towed with and without the bags and I love it with the bags.
To get most of the 850lbs weight off the truck hitch you need arms like a gorilla to tension the WD hitch.
If your trailer doesn't have a high tongue weight (less than 500lbs) I wouldn't bother with the airbag.
My Tvl Trlr has a tongue weight of 920#. I use 1k spring bars on a CP hitch and it works well but, I just added the Firestone air bags to the rear coils. Haven't pulled the trailer with them yet. How much air do you run with?

Try loading the spring bars before you raise the nose gear. It makes it a lot easier.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:54 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White monotone
Rep:25
seanhofmann is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by emax View Post
Hi guy I am thinking about getting a travel trailer and was wondering if any one has put in air bages in the rear coil spring to help with the tongue weight. Just looking for any info on them like are they easy to install and do they help out as far as pulling a Trailer any info would be great thanks Eric.
put on the firestone, and run a weight dist hitch, u need both. I have towed alot. Yes you could do it without the bags, but put them on, you wont regret it