DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-09-2010, 09:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum - Dodge Truck Forum - Dodge Ram Club

Vehicle: SRT-10
Color: Red
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:434
Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough
Default Got a trans question. OD I think...

Hey guys, I'll try to make is simple.

Seems like when I am at lower speeds 35 to 40 and the trans is in OD I try to gradually speed up (very light on the throttle) I get a vibration / hesitation before it shifts down and speeds up. Feels like a manual trans in 5th lugging at low speed.

Now when I stomp it or am a little more aggressive I get no problem. Can you guys give me any advice or thoughts? Obviously your help is much appreciated.
Sponsored links
Old 09-10-2010, 06:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Rep:1625
City Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant future

Old 09-10-2010, 06:36 PM
erm

I'd say you are at a pretty low RPM and it is bogging a bit.

I never drive around town with OD on. I only turn it on when I am out on the freeway.

When I find I've forgotten to turn it off, and I'm running around town putting out about 1500 RPM, mine bogs too and I smack myself upside the head because I forgot to take it out of OD.

Try that and see how it feels to you.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:48 PM

Quiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enoughQuiet Lunatic will become famous soon enough

Thanks Maddog. You are right about the rpms, mine may even be a little lower than 1500 under those circumstances. I don't normally cruise anywhere at those speeds but unfortunately I can't control the jackasses in front of me.

I will give that a shot and see how I like it. I hope it doesn't effect the mpg too much.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:53 PM
erm

That, Gene, depends on your right foot!

But I think that you'll be just fine as long as you drive as you normally have, just in a bit lower gear.

Actually, lugging the engine is NOT fuel efficient.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:10
Redlongbed is on a distinguished road

I seemed to have a similar problem when I first purchased my truck and it was still under the dealership warranty so I took it to my local shop to have it fixed under the warranty. The only thing they could come up with was new plugs and wires and an ignition coil because dodge recommends you replace them at 30k and I bought the truck with 49k. So the shop replaced the plugs and wires and put in a new ignition coil. This seemed to have stopped the problem but now I've noticed it occurring again and I have not driven 30k on these plugs...my issue is the same bogging down problem at low rpms but I get more of a thump in the rear like the truck wants to shift out of OD but it won't unless I mash it.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlongbed View Post
I seemed to have a similar problem when I first purchased my truck and it was still under the dealership warranty so I took it to my local shop to have it fixed under the warranty. The only thing they could come up with was new plugs and wires and an ignition coil because dodge recommends you replace them at 30k and I bought the truck with 49k. So the shop replaced the plugs and wires and put in a new ignition coil. This seemed to have stopped the problem but now I've noticed it occurring again and I have not driven 30k on these plugs...my issue is the same bogging down problem at low rpms but I get more of a thump in the rear like the truck wants to shift out of OD but it won't unless I mash it.
Same here dude. I think it got worse when I put bigger tires on the truck. I am hoping a superchips tuner is in my near future. I want to see what happens when I calibrate for the tire size & put a little zip in the ecm.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:10
Redlongbed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Same here dude. I think it got worse when I put bigger tires on the truck. I am hoping a superchips tuner is in my near future. I want to see what happens when I calibrate for the tire size & put a little zip in the ecm.
Yes, I also have bigger tires on mine and when I put them on is around when I noticed the problem again. I too hope that a superchips tuner is in my near future, as well as a full exhaust including shorty headers.