DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2009 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2009 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2009 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-11-2010, 10:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn, 5.7 hemi
Color: BRILLANT BLACK CREW CAB
Rep:172
FDBDW has a spectacular aura aboutFDBDW has a spectacular aura about

Maybe its just because Im a bit of a gear head, but even my daughter knows to check her fluids every two weeks. The computor is a good back up reminder but nothing is better then taking a few minutes and checking fluid levels and condition your self. Its a good thing to roll around under the truck and get your head under the hood every once in a while
MOPAR CAI , 14" MUFFLEX, Diablo Intune 91oct , 2.5" LEVEL, K2 OPEN BLACK MESH GRILLE, FRONT WINDOWS TINTED, ROCKSTARS ON 295/70/18 NITTO TRAIL GRAPPLERS, LARADO BED COVER, DEBADGED, GO RIHNO STEPS , RECON SMOKED TAIL & THIRD BRAKE LIGHTS , PAINTED HEADLIGHTS , SPEEDLOGIX CATCH CAN, FASTMAN PORTED TB ,
Sponsored links
Old 09-12-2010, 03:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '09 RAM 1500 4dr
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Light Graystone Pearl
Rep:61
Studbuster will become famous soon enough

My '09 has a life time power train warrenty. Not wanting to jepardize this, I contacted Dodge.

I have a letter from Dodge saying the EVIC is "duty cycle-based" and can be used as a reminder for service. It tracks your style of driving for oil life. Good for the Dodge engineers, good for me.

New York Times had an article Friday 9/10/10 on oil changes; "Like The '55 Chevy, The 3,000-Mile Oil Change Is Pretty Much History". Pennzoil, Shell, Edmunds and others say that in the last 7 or 8 years oil technology has improved. A better average, depending on driving coditions, would be closer to 7500 miles.

You would think they would want to sell you more oil, not less!!

JMHO

IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU FIND TIME TO DO IT OVER??
Dave
Old 09-13-2010, 09:08 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn SLT
Color: Detonator Yellow
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:17
nelsont509 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBDW View Post
Maybe its just because Im a bit of a gear head, but even my daughter knows to check her fluids every two weeks. The computor is a good back up reminder but nothing is better then taking a few minutes and checking fluid levels and condition your self. Its a good thing to roll around under the truck and get your head under the hood every once in a while
Times Two ^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studbuster View Post
My '09 has a life time power train warrenty. Not wanting to jepardize this, I contacted Dodge.

I have a letter from Dodge saying the EVIC is "duty cycle-based" and can be used as a reminder for service. It tracks your style of driving for oil life. Good for the Dodge engineers, good for me.

New York Times had an article Friday 9/10/10 on oil changes; "Like The '55 Chevy, The 3,000-Mile Oil Change Is Pretty Much History". Pennzoil, Shell, Edmunds and others say that in the last 7 or 8 years oil technology has improved. A better average, depending on driving coditions, would be closer to 7500 miles.

You would think they would want to sell you more oil, not less!!

JMHO
^^^ I totally agree!!! I let my EVIC go this last time just to see; Bam, almost 7,200 miles. I've been changing it every 7000 as it is. I know it's the best preventive maintenance around, but still; why 3,000 Unless you live in the "dust belt" LOL ( No pavement or ass-Fault)

Last edited by nelsont509; 09-13-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: RAM
Rep:10
mabuz is on a distinguished road

Just did my first oil change on my '10 this weekend. I drive about 90-95% highway, so the miles add up kinda quick. Using Mobil 1 synth. and the OEM filter from here on out. And man, that oil filter was a PAIN to get off, as I was warned about.

Anyways, it had 5,051 on the clock, and I didn't have the minder come on. I'm just going to do 5,000 miles or if the minder comes on. I got over the 3,000 mile changes, but can't convince myself to let it go longer than 5,000 now...even though Dodge recommends 6000 now.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

MidwestJ is on a distinguished road

I think my light first came on at approx 2500 or 2800 miles (can't recall)

I think I read that the manual says every 5000 or 6000 miles to change it but I hold true to every 3000
Old 10-03-2010, 12:49 PM

Vehicle: 2oo9 standard cab 4~4 1500 ram
Trim Level: plain
Color: pearl black
eltoro2 is on a distinguished road

they say with the newer eng you dont have to change the oil as often . I have the for life oil changes on my tr so no mater what they say , I cahnge every 3000 .
Old 10-03-2010, 10:52 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Water Blue
Jim Ram is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
I drove on my vacation from San Diego to Connecticut, then up to Toronto, then across to the Detroit area, down to Lake of the Ozarks Mo. & back to San Diego. I drive my Ram while i run my business too, sometimes running 1,000 miles in a day
San Diego to Connecticut.....what's in CT worth driving cross country for? haha. This is a boring state!
Old 10-04-2010, 01:41 AM
Banned

Trim Level: SLT Crew Cab 4x4
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl
Rep:0
UnLiMiTeD is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBeer View Post
Why are you waiting for the signal? Just a test? I have always changed my oil every 3mo/3000mi on every vehicle I've ever owned, regardless of what the book said unless it had a shorter interval.
..... why? Your truck and obviously you will do what you want but such short intervals is just unnecessary and does no help. Hell if you use synthetic your probably not even giving the cleaning agents enough time to bond and break down any sludge in the motor before flushing them out

Last edited by UnLiMiTeD; 10-04-2010 at 03:44 AM.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:09 AM

Vehicle: 2009 dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie crew cab
Color: Grey
Rep:41
uktitus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnLiMiTeD View Post
..... why? Your truck and obviously you will do what you want but such short intervals is just unnecessary and does no help. Hell if you use synthetic your probably not even giving the cleaning agents enough time to bond and break down all the sludge in the motor before flushing them out
Can you please quantify your statement for us who might not be so knowledgeable?
Old 10-04-2010, 03:51 AM
Banned

Trim Level: SLT Crew Cab 4x4
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl
Rep:0
UnLiMiTeD is an unknown quantity at this point

Just reading around for a few months on oil change intervals, here is one quote the many people seem to general agree with

Quote:
5000 km change intervals are harmful to your engine and DI engines are even more vulnerable to the type of damage done by over servicing than PFI engines.

Why does the problem exist?
It's a cultural thing that arose in the US and was driven by marketing and profit making. The consequent myths and consumer expectations are now entrenched. The cultural gap is now so broad than in the US a car may have an 8000km OCI, while the same model, from the same production line, might have a 20,000 km OCI when sold in Europe where people aren't affected by the myths.

Why it's OK to follow the manufacturers service interval
All synthetic oils are capable of exceeding the manufacturers recommended OCI by at least 50% or more. It's incorrect to suggest the oil could break down or succumb to sludge any earlier.

People using oil analysis reports to justify over servicing aren't reading them correctly. None of the reports that I've seen on DISI engines have shown oil that has reached condemning limits in terms of insolubles and oxidation. As for the solubles, if they are excessive, you need to drive the car further, not change the oil.

The references to carbon contamination are also incorrect. People naturally assume that black oil is unhealthy, when the opposite is true. The colour of the oil is an indication of how well it's doing its job. The darker the better (up to a point not exceeding the manufacturers OCI).

If you had a problem with contamination (not that you do, but if you did) the solution is to change the oil filter, not the oil.

Why is it harmful to change the oil too frequently?

In a word; volatility. Oil volatility is at its greatest in the first 3000km after an oil change. After that the volatility reduces and the oil stabilises.

Volatility is particularly bad for a DI engine because all of the lost fractions exit via the PCV system. Much of it goes out through the rocker cover vent, into the intake, through the turbo compressor and intercooler, then puddles in the bottom of the inlet manifold where it combines with the stuff coming through the PCV valve to coat the inlet valves and combustion chambers in gunk.

That black soot you see in your exhaust pipes, don’t assume it’s all caused by rich mixture. Excessive oil changing will contribute more soot.

The presence of oil in the intake also lowers the octane rating of your fuel leading to detonation.

The NOACK volatility test quantifies the extent of oil evaporation. The test standard - ASTM D5800 - 08 Standard Test Method for Evaporation Loss of Lubricating Oils by the Noack Method – also hints at another kind of danger associated with frequent oil changes where it states “Procedure C, using the Selby-Noack apparatus, also permits collection of the volatile oil vapors for determination of their physical and chemical properties. Elemental analysis of the collected volatiles may be helpful in identifying components such as phosphorous, which has been linked to premature degradation of the emission system catalyst.”

A lot of phosphorous is lost in the initial boil-off phase of new oil and it’s likely to be harming oxygen sensors and cats.

Engine manufacturers understand the problem and it would be easy for them to identify the type of damage done by over servicing and potentially result in a warranty claim denial.

Summary
By changing your oil at 5000km, you are subjecting your engine to oil that is almost always in the initial boil-off phase. It's contaminating and filling your engine with gunk. Contrary to popular and uninformed opinion, oil that is 10,000 km old is not likely to be harmful, and would certainly be less harmful than fresh oil.

Last edited by UnLiMiTeD; 10-04-2010 at 03:55 AM.