DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-13-2010, 08:54 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
RazorbackRam07 is on a distinguished road
Default Steering and Shimmy problems

Hello fellas, first post on here. I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Big Horn with the 5.7 Hemi and 20 inch wheels. Since my truck has an IFS, I decided to put a 2'' Hell Bent Steel leveling kit on (the type that is just a spacer that goes above your coil). As soon as I got the truck back, I immediately noticed the steering wheel was off about 10-15 degrees to the left (when the tires were straight). So I went and had an alignment done and steering wheel was still crooked but tires where supposedly "aligned". So i just drove it with a crooked wheel for about a month, no big deal, then both shocks started to clunk, and I replaced both of them, after finding out they were bad. About a month after that, another clunk from the front end, and I had to replace the sway bar end links. I looked up under the truck the other day and noticed the rubber bushings on the top of the new end links(where the sway bar sandwiches between two bushings) were already worn, torn, and gone. I'm only 19, so before I left for my second year of school, I used the money I had worked all summer for, on a new set of tires for the truck. (Toyo Open Country H/T 275/60R20 OWL/ all I could afford) I drove the truck right after getting the tires put on, over 75 mph, and it felt smooth as a baby's butt. The next day I had an alignment done, and when I got the truck back, after everything was aligned, the steering wheel was still in the very same old crooked, cocked 15 degrees to the left, position. Pissed off, I took the truck back and told them to align the steering wheel. When I got it back, it was now very close to center, (but still not perfect), and now when I go over about 60 mph, it wants to shimmy back and forth in the front end. Like, I can let go of the steering wheel when going in a straight line and actually see the steering wheel jumping back and forth just a tiny bit. It also wanders quite a bit going down the highway, and I have to correct it every 2 seconds like I'm going around a turn in Mario Kart or something. Haha but just something isn't right. My questions are..

A.) Do I need longer sway bar end links? (It would seem so, seeing as though the A arm was brought down 2", and the sway bar didn't move, and seeing as though the short stock end link is at such a weird angle it's tearing up the rubber bushings. Called Hell Bent Steel and they said "No, of course you don't need new ones". Yeah right, just like they say you don't need new shocks...)

B.) Does anybody know what in the h**l is causing the steering/wobbling/alignment problems? I've taken it to 3 different alignment shops that have good reps and I just can't figure out what is going on. I want to say that it's death wobble, but this is just a 1500, and it doesn't have a trackbar. so that kinda rules death wobble out.

Anybody with any experience or knowledge of this kinda deal chime in and I will sure appreciate it. I used to have a Silverado in my high school days (until the poor little GM 300 ft. lb. rated 4L60E tranny bit the dust), but I love everything about this Dodge, the power, the looks, feel. And I've put so much work into it and it's just driving me crazy. Thanks in advance guys and I'll get on here Wednesday after I get done with my Calculus exam and answer some other guys Q's. Can't get an answer without giving one.

- Bryan Martin
El Dorado, Arkansas
Sponsored links
Old 09-13-2010, 09:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

The death wobble in a leveled front end isn't uncommon. Before condemning it and removing the leveling kit, get a GOOD alignment done and get a copy of the before and after spec sheet. The place you're dealing with now is obviously clueless. As for the end links, you could try a longer lenk, preferably with urethane bushings instead of rubber.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

RazorbackRam07 is on a distinguished road

ok thanks man I'll get a good alignment done, I guess a person nowadays has to rent out the freakin $20,000 machine and do it themselves if they want it done right haha. I'll also get a copy of the spec sheets and make sure they are putting just a little toe in to take out any slack in the steering and tighten things up, like they're supposed to.....

Surely out of all the 2006, 2007, and 2008 Dodge Rams sold in the U.S., there are a few guys that have put a 2 inch leveling kit on theirs and had problems with the end links.......anybody?
Old 10-05-2010, 04:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Color: Black
ropergirl7 is on a distinguished road

I know how you feel but my case is slightly different... I have had two alignments, put my truck on the rack at work and shook it down numerous times and we JUST figured it out... so at that time I got good news AND bad news! good news: I know the problem is my drag link to the pitman arm but the bad news there is an updated pitman arm so I have to replace basically everything that is close to the stupid thing!! They want to sell me almost 500$ in parts over one stupid little drag link!! Hope you solve the mystery of your shimmy as well!! I know a few guys who have had BONE STOCK powerwagons that do that so I think that leveling kit just brought the problem out more visibly. Every one of them I know so far has dropped the pitman arm and resolved the problem but who knows? could be somethin else?