DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-13-2010, 10:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 RAM SLT REG. CABX2
Trim Level: SLT
Color: CRYSTAL BLACK PEARL
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:61
RammD will become famous soon enough
Default Replacement Slider (Fob) Keys will not lock?

This is really weird. I lost one of my slider fob keys a couple of weeks ago and bought a replacement on ebay. I got the key cut and noticed it did NOT lock into the fob. It FITS into the fob but won't LOCK. I thought maybe the key was defective so the seller sent me another...SAME THING!

So I started thinking maybe this particular seller had some issues with the keys they were selling and I asked another seller if they knew of any issues with their keys not locking. They said in hundreds of sales..NEVER. So I bought a slider key from the other seller (BOTH SELLERS HAD EXCELLENT FEEDBACK BY THE WAY) and just got it cut and THE SAME, EXACT THING!!

I've looked at the original key that locks into the 2 fobs perfectly against the replacement keys and they look identical. THE ONLY thing I can see is it looks like the upper lip on the replacement key is like a centimeter or two (literally) higher up then the original. I'm guessing that little hook/lip on the slider key is what's used to lock the key into the fob and it's just slightly higher then the original so when the key is pushed all the way into the fob it won't LOCK.

Now both of these sellers have super feedback and other ppl are getting these keys without issue....is it possible that Dodge SLIGHTLY changed the slider keys or the fobs from early 2010 to later in 2010? Any other ideas on this oddity?
Sponsored links
Old 09-13-2010, 11:11 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Seems to me it would have been a lot easier just to get one from Dodge.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 09-13-2010, 11:20 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:43
HotWheels is on a distinguished road

I would have to agree with RB. I am thinking that it is the slight differance in lenth. But you do know a centimeter is about 3/8 of an inch right.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Seems to me it would have been a lot easier just to get one from Dodge.
Well, after the fact I'd have to agree...lol. The thing is I asked this question and linked the ebay auctions a few weeks ago on here and the response was that the keys were the same as listed in the auction.

The thing is the Ebay price was 1/3 of what the Dealer price was and it was shipped to me directly where I wouldn't have to go to the dealer.

And as I said, the 2 members have excellent feedback so other people aren't having issues with the keys they've bought from them.

As far as the size difference of the keys, it's probably more like a HALF centimeter....it's that slight. But with no other members having issues with these keys, is there any reason why my key would be 99.5% identical and lock while the replacement keys won't?
Old 04-06-2011, 03:02 PM

UPDATE: Just went ahead and paid the dealer and got a replacement slider key from them, and what do you know..IT LOCKS!!!! It is crazy b/c the ebay auctions were 1/3 of the cost and the slider keys LOOK IDENTICAL. In fact, you can look at the key for an hour and not see why the ebay knock offs will NOT LOCK...they look IDENTICAL! But there is something that is a fraction of a centimeter....(really, that close) which causes the key to look identical when placed next to the one from the dealer..the lips even LOOK LIKE THEY LINE UP....but just a fraction of a centimeter the TWO KEYS from TWO DIFFERENT ebay sellers had the same issue...they would NOT lock into the fob.

So...anyone else who needs a replacement slider key....don't sweat it...just get it from the dealer and save yourself the headache from ebay on this one.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:18 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep water blue
Rep:401
Crash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really nice

Thanks for that info. that right there could save a lot of members the headache you went through. This is what makes this site so great, the free exchange of info to save each other time and money and for this I give you rep brother!
Frt 20%tint,Line-x,Bak-Flip,El T/gate Lock,Box Lights,LED T/gate Bar,Bilsteins,Timbren SES,Chrome Bug Sheild,Putco Vent Visors,Amp Powersteps,HID Lows,Fogs,Volant Cai,Engine Cover Painted&Lit,B Pillar Tape Removed,Weather Tech Mats,Mopar Mud Flaps,Shorty Antenna,SRT 22s,Diablo Trinity
Old 04-08-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that info. that right there could save a lot of members the headache you went through. This is what makes this site so great, the free exchange of info to save each other time and money and for this I give you rep brother!
Thanks, man...and another thing is that I'm very familiar with ebay. I've never had a negative feedback in 8 years on Ebay and am very VERY cautious when buying anything from anyone. I check their feedback and AMOUNT of feedback they have. BOTH of the members I bought this replacement key from had 99.9% positive feedback and thousands of transactions.
The first guy I wrote said he thought my "FOB" may be defective but I explained my slider key from my replacement fob fit and LOCKED fine. So I went and bought another key from another member who said it should work with no problem..and when I got it, slid it in..same thing! So I wrote him, he said the key would LOCK when CUT. Went and got the key cut and the SAME THING..it was just a fraction of a centimeter off..and it wouldn't lock.

So I really was thinking my fobs were different to some extent or another..but I went ahead got a key from the dealer and UNCUT it locked right in. Got the Key cut at Lowes and it's perfect. What is cool is that Lowes doesn't charge you to CUT a key when you bring the key IN. They just charge you if they actually give you a physical key and cut it. So I saved a couple of bucks there..but the ebay headache sucked.