DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-15-2010, 03:55 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT Crew Cab 4x4
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:0
UnLiMiTeD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My comparison of the 2010 Ram and the F150

This is for the 2010 ram 1500 and 2010 f150

Some may have read my thread that i first made here asking why you choose your dodge over ford. Well i figure i would make a new thread now stating some of the reasons i chose the dodge over the ford and some things about each truck incase others are in the same position i was.

First off all fanboy talk aside, both trucks are great trucks! For the first while i was highly considering ford, even went as far as to place a factory order with them. MY first mistake was not driving the ram before doing that and i hope nobody else makes the same mistake because its a real pain to turn back like i did.

Now onto some of the areas of the trucks:

Exterior: Both trucks looks nice on the outside in different ways, the front of the dodge is just...well its badass and cant be beat, the back end of the ford i find to be a little less plain then the dodge. When it comes to usefull features on the outside, some might argue ford has a few more with retractable side steps and a tail gate step.

For me those weren't deal breakers as aftermarket makes up for it by adding such things on yourself, also ford has had some issues with the tailgate step being too much for the hinges. Lets not forget the factory dual exhuast that looks right at home on the dodge! its hard to replace that with aftermarket set ups that looks better on the ford because the bumper on the dodge was made for that exhaust.

One draw back i did have with the dodge when looking was there was no option for a longer box when choosing a crew cab on the 1500, where as the f150 did offer a 6.5 foot box and i must say it did make me second guess the dodge for a bit. The ram tries to make up for it with the cool ram boxes on the outside which provides nice additional storage for things you want to keep safe and not tossed around in the bed of the truck. Unfortunately it does sacrifice some space in the box.

For me the bold exterior of the dodge just takes it, each truck has their pros and cons on the outside.

Interior: For me, this was no comparision when it comes to bang for your buck. The interior on the mid range f150's and ram 1500's are very different, the interior for the f150 XLT is very plain, limited options and not the greatest color choices. The ram 1500 SLT can be had with ALMOST every interior option available and it looks incredible! In order to get the nicer luxury features of the F150 you must step up to their FX4 or lariat with the luxury package which of course comes with an added premium cost just for the model alone. The full upgraded sony stereo with a touch screen is not even an option on the XLT model which was a huge draw back for me and the stock stereo on the f150 is terrible! The alpine stereo in the ram is one of the nicest factory stereos i have ever heard and am very glad i got a ram with that or i would have been missing out! The center console shifter is also not an option on the XLT F150 as it is with the SLT 1500.

Now stepping into the higher models of both trucks, the playing field becomes more even and really comes down to a personal preference, each has nice soft touch materials, center console shifter, nice stereo with dvd navigation etc...

Each truck has their own unique storage points, ram offers more smaller and hidden storages, with the nice insulated bins to put drinks in which is great for the longer road trips. The F150 has the completely flat floor in the rear which is great for carying those big items you want to stay nice and dry and not get tossed around. Again, it comes down to personal preference and which type of storage would be more usefull to you.

Also dont forget, you lose a bit of storage on both trucks when using their high end stereos that have the subwoofer in the rear seat. Takes away a storage bin on the ram and takes away a section on the flat floor on the f150.

Drivetrain: The last major part of the truck i would like to touch on. This was one of the biggest selling points for me on the dodge, the HEMI! When test driving the ford i felt like i was having to talk myself into the truck and convince myself that i must make some sacrifices when moving from a car to a truck. Like the ride quality, power, handling etc... To put it simple, the F150 lacks power! Its the heaviest half ton out there with the least amount of power! I found the transmission was always hunting for the right gear and would downshift twice whenever i wanted to pass a car, once it found the gear it had plenty of passing power but there was a real delay which can be scary.

The transmission on the dodge just seems to work alot better with the engine compared to the ford, the fords just seems out of tune, like its not geared correctly. Dodge did a much better job and fine tuning their powertrain i feel compared to ford.

The ride quality of these two trucks is also very different, the ford ride quality is really quite nice until you hit the highway, then the truck starts to bounce around a bit, which didnt bother me too much until i drove a ram. My ram drives better then my previous car did on everyday roads and is smooth as glass on the highway which is a huge plus since i commute on the highway daily to work. It also handles the rouch dirt roads much better, i dont feel like im being tossed around at every dip.

Overall i was just much happier with the ram, i never felt like i was having to talk myself into the truck like i did with the f150 and when spending this kind of money on a truck, the truck should be the one doing all the convincing, not you! Both trucks are great trucks, i just feel the dodge is that one step higher then the f150 and fits all my needs better.

Hope this was some help to anyone still looking.

Last edited by UnLiMiTeD; 09-15-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 09-15-2010, 05:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:32
superted is on a distinguished road

Very nice summary. I appreciate that info.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:27 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2471
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

That is an excellent summary and I'm sure will come in very helpful for those on the fence. Thanks for posting this.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:30 PM
Banned

It took me many hours of driving these two trucks to come to my conclusion, i truck shopped for a few months so i know someone will find some use for this. I almost ordered a ford within the first 2 weeks of shopping, then found the ram and realised i really had a lot more research to do lol

Thanks guys
Old 09-15-2010, 05:44 PM

Rep:1625
City Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant futureCity Slicker has a brilliant future

Great summary, thanks for sharing it with us
Old 09-15-2010, 05:51 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Nice summary . Thanks for your input .
Old 09-15-2010, 11:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4x4 QC 5.7
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: True Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:83
CovertRam will become famous soon enough

Are you going to post that on the Ford sites that you were on? LOL

great summary and I was in your position not long ago when I got my Ram. The Fords were good but the Ram outdid them
Old 09-15-2010, 11:31 PM

Vehicle: 07 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: st
Color: silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:68
moparmike07 will become famous soon enough

its a dodge ram we got the fastest trucks

2007 dodge ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 5 percent tint all around 35 percent windshield, ported tb, diablo sport, arh headers, magnaflow dual exhaust, magnaflow y pipe, krc210x cam,nitrous,CNC ported head. 4.56 motive
Old 09-15-2010, 11:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CovertRam View Post
Are you going to post that on the Ford sites that you were on? LOL

great summary and I was in your position not long ago when I got my Ram. The Fords were good but the Ram outdid them
Noooooo lol, they are still nice trucks and im sure the owners love their trucks for their own reasons as we love ours. No reason to rain on their parade
Old 09-16-2010, 12:39 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram, 1500, Hemi
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Rep:16
dafoot is on a distinguished road

Nice recap. I would like to add 2 items.
1. Don't forget the Hemi, vs the Trition.

2. Big factor for me was, Ram makes the Clubcab with 4 ext. doors. Ford does not.

I agree, the new F150 is a nice truck. I liked the Ram better.