DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-11-2015, 11:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 2500
Color: white
Engine: 2010-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 383hp 400lb/ft (2500/3500)
Rep:10
cornutts05 is on a distinguished road
Default Power Steering

I had to slam the brakes on the other day and the engine stalled. When I started it back up, I had no power steering whatsoever. The pump is making a horrible sound. I unhooked the HP line from the gearbox and started the engine, and the line spewed fluid as if the pump was fine, and the pump ceased making any unusual noises. Upon hooking the HP line back to the gear box, the sound returned and still no power steering. Is there a blockage in the gearbox? If so can it be removed? I noticed when removing the HP line from the gearbox that there was a plastic tube that feeds into the HP line from the gearbox...there was a kink in this tube and some fraying...i.e. it may have a split in it. I am not sure what to do and I don't want to take it in until I have exhausted all cheaper options...i.e. doing it myself. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored links
Old 05-11-2015, 01:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:1909
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Sounds like a condition found more often on the 2500/3500 trucks with a hydraboost. The plastic is a liner that's put in the pressure lines and can work its way loose over time. The fix in that case is to replace the pressure line.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Roger that...is this a difficult task? Do I have to remove the gearbox? Perhaps I can find a video on youtube. I have a job with the forrestry service in a few weeks and need to haul my RV up to Wisconsin...I got to get this fixed as cheaply as possible or turn down the job. Thanks for your reply brother. BTW, the plastic comes from the gear box and feeds into the HP line. Replacing the HP line will not replace the plastic tube.

Last edited by cornutts05; 05-11-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:21 PM

RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Pull the plastic tube out of the gear box.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:26 PM

This is the similar issue I'm talking about.

Case Number: S1119000007

Release Date: 09/17/2011

Symptom/Vehicle Issue:

Power Steering Honk or Hiss May Be Heard During Brake Applications.
Diagnosis:

Customers may complain of a noise (honk - sometimes coupled with a hiss during brake applications) during low speed parking lot maneuvers. If you have this complaint, please perform the following:

Repair Procedure:
1. Inspect the steering column intermediate shaft boot is in position and not making noise from rubbing on the shaft. If there is a noise when turning the steering wheel, adjust the boot appropriately and verify the noise is no longer present.

2. If the noise is still present, perform a steering system bleed procedure outlined on TechCONNECT >Service Info>19-Steering>Pump>Standard Procedure>Power Steering System Bleeding and verify the noise is no longer present.

3. If the noise is still present, verify that the pressure hose (to hydro-boost) internal tuner (white plastic hose) has not become dislodged and positioned into the hydro-boost, to do this disconnect the pressure hose from the hydro-boost and see if white plastic tube is protruding from the pressure hose. If it has, replace the hose*, bleed the system of air and verify the noise is no longer present.
NOTE: WHEN RETURNING THE HOSE TO THE CHRYSLER WARRANTY CENTER, PLEASE RETURN THE ENTIRE HOSE INCLUDING THE WHITE PLASTIC TUNER ELEMENT THAT HAS BECOME DISLODGED.

4. If the noise is still present, replace the steering gear and bleed the system and verify the noise is gone.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I tugged on the plastic tube but it seems to be lodged into the gearbox. I didn't want to pull to hard until I knew what was going on. It only fed into the hp line about 5 inches, the rest is in the gear box...is this normal? I am new to this issue. The only thing I have ever done with power steering is replace a belt.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:55 PM

No, that's not normal. It should come out with light to moderate effort.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

It figures...it must have gotten pushed in by the pressure and binded into something. I'm going to tug the hell out of it, but if it doesn't come out, then what? Take the whole thing apart or replace the gearbox? This sucks man. All my travel money is about to go up in smoke. Thanks for the info brother...I appreciate it. If I was young again, I would go back to combat...that is work I know how to do. Anyway, thanks. Oh one more thing...am I right to assume the plastic tube belongs in the HP line and not the gearbox? Or is it suppose to feed into the gearbox?
Old 05-11-2015, 02:29 PM

It belongs inside the HP line. If I could go back to driving a M1-A1 for a living again, I surely would.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I got to drive an Abrams in Hit Iraq. We were on a FOB and it was an unusually slow day. I'm EOD and the IED's were scarce that day. I went to the tankers and asked for a tour of the tank. He said "Hell I'll let you take her for a spin"...I said HELL YEAH BRO! Awesome piece of machinery. Anyway, thanks for the info...it is making sense now. The plastic shot out of the HP line into the gear box and no doubt binded up the system. I have talked to "ask the Experts" and some local mechanics...and in 10 minutes on this forum, you have solved the problem for me. You rock bro.