DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2009 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2009 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2009 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-21-2010, 08:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 ram 1500 slt
Trim Level: SLT work truck
Color: Bananna Yellow
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:16
waldig is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Installed a K&N today and you dont want it

I posted this at the MOD's section and again here for better coverage to let the word out. FYI:

WARNING WARNING WILL ROBINSON, DANGER DANGER

Well I installed the K & N intake for my 2009 Ram 1500 and it is a POS! I will show some photos and all but as Monty Python said : Run away Run away. You don’t need this kind of stuff for the cost it is NOT WORTH IT.

I have a Crossfire and have done many designs to improve the rear wheel power to my last dyno of 354 HP. MY designs are being sold by another company and have a good following. Mostly the designs are a dual CAI, improved intake manifold after the supercharger, and intercooler upgrades.

I have been doing cars for decades and decided to go for the K & N on my 4.7 ram 1500 work truck. Well don’t make a mistake like I did and get the one that has the biggest name……….. I did 154900 miles on my favorite 2002 Dakota and had to put it up for sale due to mileage, don’t wanna do a transmission or engine. BTW the Dakota got 154K miles with the original Battery and Battery in the remote key FOB, just added belts and a power steering pump. OH and it had a shaker hood for a great sound and more power that was noticeable, again a 4.7 but with a CABLE CONTROLLED THROTTLE BODY. That was a sweet ride.

The Ram, well I put the CAI in today, and found out lots:
The instructions say the kit is for a “2002 – 10 Ram 1500”.

That’s not correct, the instructions did not know that the 2009 has no computer anchor bolt on the passenger fender, I had to guess and improvise at the mounting hole for the air box.

The inner fender is plastic and will not support the air box, wobbly and noisy so I had to make a bracket to hold it so that it would not flop around. Yuck. But wait it is worse……..

The instructions discuss up to the 2008 and there are many changes that you have to guess at and sort out. The 2009 is similar but not the one the instructions cover.

After putting it all together and getting it all installed in about 40 minutes, read the instructions first, I started it up and drove it for a check ride. All worked and seemed ok.

NOW, the reason for this is to improve the breathing and get more cold air into the motor for power and efficiency. This kit is not going to do it. The factory intake has a great cold air connection and a massive filter that looks efficient to me; just the resonator on top of the motor is the ro to the air. If I did it again, Id pull off the resonator and connect the factory air filter to the throttle body for almost no money.

The K & N DOES NOT GET COLD AIR AND IS NOWHERE NEAR THE FACTORY AIR INLET DUCT. Misses it by about 8” !!!!!!! The open top and fender side of the air box have gasketing material that do what??? The air sneaks in from all sides and is under hood temperature, not useful.

The air tube is shiny and looks good even if the LOGO K&N face up so you cant see it from the front of the truck,?. The air tube is only 3” and has a short runner adapter to connect to the larger opening of the throttle body. So the air goes in a tube that is less in diameter than the throttle body, why.

Can I say nothing good about the K&N??? Well yeah, this has a beat your chest hot damn 6.1 HEMI on steroids sounds above 3000 revs. OH Helll yess this sounds badd asss and will KILL YOUR MILAGE as you drive with your foot in it. You don’t notice the sound at 2000 at 3k it grows on you and at 3500 revs you think you’re in another dudes truck.

I will have to redesign this toad to get it to work properly, that is for later. Have to get other mods done first.

I hope to load the photos but still new to this forum. Enjoy Woody

·
Attached Images
File Type: jpg air caipics 006.jpg (96.1 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg air caipics 007.jpg (92.7 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg air caipics 008.jpg (96.7 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg air caipics 009.jpg (94.0 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg air caipics 014.jpg (93.8 KB, 161 views)
Sponsored links
Old 09-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 RAM 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:25
SvB4EvA is on a distinguished road

Well... There goes my K&N plans...
Old 09-21-2010, 08:51 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Chevy 3500HD
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

You may find this discussion on CAI's useful http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread....cai+evaluation
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 09-21-2010, 09:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

Can you use the K&N tube with the stock air box? I think AirRaid sells the tube seperately. Seems like the smoother intake tube would be better than the stock one. I only did a K&N drop-in filter and that's how it will stay unless I ever go with some form of F/I. Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope you get it fixed.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:53 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Rep:49
doz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvB4EvA View Post
Well... There goes my K&N plans...
You have a 5.7L Hemi. The hemi's actually fit well and people like them. Granted, they arent a sealed box, but most of the CAI's arent these days.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:01 PM

Vehicle: 2010 RAM 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Inferno Red
Rep:25
SvB4EvA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doz View Post
You have a 5.7L Hemi. The hemi's actually fit well and people like them. Granted, they arent a sealed box, but most of the CAI's arent these days.
Whoops, didnt notice he had a 4.7
Old 09-21-2010, 10:44 PM

Vehicle: 09 Ram 1500 Reg Cab SB
Trim Level: SLT w/5.7 and 3.92
Color: Black
Rep:112
HoustonHemi will become famous soon enoughHoustonHemi will become famous soon enough

K + N says the kit will get ya 6.80 HP @ 4743 RPM

Doesn't seem quite worth it to me,,,,
Old 09-21-2010, 10:47 PM
Find em hot leave em wet

Vehicle: 12 RAM 1500 qc 4x4 HEMI
Trim Level: express
Color: bright silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:204
moparmanicac has a spectacular aura aboutmoparmanicac has a spectacular aura aboutmoparmanicac has a spectacular aura about

never saw the point of all the hyper behind the k+n. All my friends have em but I used a air raid in my 4.7 dakota got the same performance and was just as happy as them and saved over 100$. I chalk that extra 100$ up to paying for the big name and all the ads they do that some other dont.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 ram 1500 slt
Trim Level: SLT work truck
Color: Bananna Yellow
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:16
waldig is on a distinguished road
Talking k&n

I believe the stock air box is supreior but the idea of using the kn tube with the stocker might be do able, Ill be checking it.

Again the 13 year old in me likes the sound at full throttle, its like my 6 pack challenger. More as I get into it later. Woody
Old 09-22-2010, 08:47 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn SLT
Color: Detonator Yellow
Rep:17
nelsont509 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldig View Post
I believe the stock air box is supreior but the idea of using the kn tube with the stocker might be do able, Ill be checking it.

Again the 13 year old in me likes the sound at full throttle, its like my 6 pack challenger. More as I get into it later. Woody
This may help with your idea. http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=61243