DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Laramie w/RamBox
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Water Blue
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:20
sroy is on a distinguished road
Default iPod connector reroute

Hi all,
Just curious if anyone has rerouted their iPod connector from the glove box to the center console. If you feel around the base of the radio/climate control stack there seems to be a notch cut out that would fit the connector. Additionally I saw in the owners manual that the connector "could" be in the center console. Anyways, just curious to see if anyone has messed with theirs or am I gonna be trial run

Thx
Sponsored links
Old 09-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I have not messed with the iPod connector

on my truck i wanted a couple switches on my dash, there was an unused pocket to the left of the my temperature controls, so i fabricated a plastic box with 2 slots for the switches & i found a power source, it works well.

Then i noticed that when the truck was parked & the alarm was set, the alarms flashing light could not be seen at night. I wanted a flashing light that could easily be seen by those people passing by with itchy fingers. Where my 115 v AC plug in was located, i installed a 12 v DC blue LED. It flashes rapidly & lights up the whole cab. Now everyone knows that an alarm is set.

If you look below the temperature controls there is a plastic insert the reads RAM, that insert is there for other features that are offered by RAM, features that i didn't get, it would make a good place to fabricate an iPod connection.
If you notice above the temperature controls, there is an insert panel there also, on mine only the center 5 spots are used, there is 2 unused spots at each end. I believe if you were to take out the lower insert, you could buy an insert similar to the upper insert panel & use it below for other switches & fabrications

I read on some forum that someone mounted an iPod connector to the lower dash, they didn't have a center floor console, if there is an ash tray mounted in the dash, a connector could be easily mounted near it

Good luck with your own fabrication
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 09-23-2010, 03:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Awesome... thanks for the info. I will look into it. I really like your idea on the alarm armed light. So do you flip a switch for it to flash or do you have it wired up to the alarm light so that it started flashing once the vehicle is armed?
Old 09-23-2010, 03:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

it flashes when the regular alarm light does, directly connected
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 09-23-2010, 04:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

oh nice... so where did you tap into the alarm circuit?
Old 09-23-2010, 04:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

i have what the dealership calls the upgrade from the factory install
there is a choice of 2 different upgrades, a blue light system & the other system, its got a green light & referred to as the LUXURY system. they didn't tell me anything about either system, what they can & will do, they just installed the high $$$, so called Luxury upgrade.
In my mind, an alarm should be hidden away & this POS isn't, if you had a high priced vehicle, what am i saying, we DO!! would you want this ???
view the green light that is just screwed into the dash, when that light is on at night, you have to look very hard to see it

Last edited by GTyankee; 09-24-2010 at 04:11 PM. Reason: image disappeared
Old 09-23-2010, 11:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 CC
Color: Two Tone Deep Ocean Blue
Rep:15
NFARCH is on a distinguished road

I mounted mine right at the bottom of console. Pulled the dash apart and drilled a whole to the spects provided with instructions and installed the grommet. As another user did, I purchased a multiple iPod user dock for 20 bucks off Ebay and mounted that at the base of the dash with velcro. Works perfect.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:11
Greggvh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sroy View Post
Hi all,
Just curious if anyone has rerouted their iPod connector from the glove box to the center console. If you feel around the base of the radio/climate control stack there seems to be a notch cut out that would fit the connector. Additionally I saw in the owners manual that the connector "could" be in the center console. Anyways, just curious to see if anyone has messed with theirs or am I gonna be trial run

Thx
Yep works perfect. Take out the lower glove box. Just squeeze the sides and it comes out. Then there is a single screw from the bottom holding the top. Undo that and pop the top out. I went to fry electronics and got a 3 foot extender...I thought it may be too short but it was perfect...note this is made to plug into the cable in the box not to replace it. I pushed the end through the hole under the climate controls and kind of encouraged it to go the right and pushed until I could grab it. I then popped the light out and went through that hole and put the light back in. Put the top box back in with the one screw. Then put the bottom in. Connected the extender to the cable. Closed box and was happy. I did this because I use it for iPhone and I wanted to be able to see my phone.

I hope this make sense it's late and I am typing this on the ipad

This is an example of the cable you need. I think this one is 4 feet but you can see how the ends are.
http://www.amazon.com/RadTech-DockEx.../dp/B002V100LU

Last edited by Greggvh; 09-24-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggvh View Post
Yep works perfect. Take out the lower glove box. Just squeeze the sides and it comes out. Then there is a single screw from the bottom holding the top. Undo that and pop the top out. I went to fry electronics and got a 3 foot extender...I thought it may be too short but it was perfect...note this is made to plug into the cable in the box not to replace it. I pushed the end through the hole under the climate controls and kind of encouraged it to go the right and pushed until I could grab it. I then popped the light out and went through that hole and put the light back in. Put the top box back in with the one screw. Then put the bottom in. Connected the extender to the cable. Closed box and was happy. I did this because I use it for iPhone and I wanted to be able to see my phone.

I hope this make sense it's late and I am typing this on the ipad

This is an example of the cable you need. I think this one is 4 feet but you can see how the ends are.
http://www.amazon.com/RadTech-DockEx.../dp/B002V100LU
Excellent! I am in the same boat as you in having an iphone and wanting to see the phone. Perfect time to schedule a weekend project.. I was also wondering of actually unplugging the connection in the top glove box and moving that over to the climate control area, then I can use the supplied cable and not buy an extender. When you did your install, did you pull the whole media/climate control stack to get to the hole? I am wondering if the whole will accept the connector from the glove box or not. I noticed a pdf that illustrated on how to remove the front bezel and then get access to the whole stack. Time permitting I might go through the whole process, if not I really like your approach and will copy it . The only drawback is that I am gonna have to order the extension cable for the 30-pin connector since it does not see to be available anywhere local.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:11
Greggvh is on a distinguished road

It took me all of 30 minutes if that. I actually tried to remove the cable from the glove box but could not figure out the release. But I really wasn't all that interested in doing that so I did not spend time on it. So this took up some time that you could cut out and do it in ten minutes because you don't have to discover the one screw holding the top box in that took another 5 minutes.

The cable went right through the hole that is under the climate controls. Just fish it right through. Just to clarify this is not the dodge badge cover this is if you reach into that lower cubby under the dodge logo. Just be careful I was driving down the street thinking of this and reached up under and stuck my finger in and well almost got it stuck because of the angle I did not have to remove anything other then the glove boxes. The nice thing with doing this is if you did want to use the connector in the box you can still do that. I did not have to cut anything and it was fast simple.

Just make sure you feed the cable from the cubby try into the hole and over to the glove box through the light hole. It really is simple. I should do a right up on it because I bet we are not the only two thinking of this.

Last edited by Greggvh; 09-24-2010 at 12:40 AM.