DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-26-2010, 12:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:19
colingibb is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Please Help with Alternator Whine after new H/U Install!!!

Okay, so I've installed my new H/U (Clarion NX500) in my 2008 Dodge Ram, and I've got faint alternator whine when revving the engine.

Here's what my configuration was before the install (there was no alternator whine):

- Factory Head Unit
- Audiobahn A4004T Ampifier under the driver's seat
- New heavy duty speaker wiring run directly from the AMP to all 4 door speakers.
- tapped into the factory speaker wires from the side of the car to get the audio to the amplifier.

Here's what the latest install included:
- Installed the Clarion NX500 (replaced the dash bezel with the NAV bezel to maintain a clean, facory look.
- Used a bypass that I got off ebay to bypass the brake connection ( to allow full functionality when the parking brake is off).
- used the PAC harness from Crutchfield.
- connected RCA cables (SCOSHE cables from Wal-Mart directly from the H/U outputs to the Amplifier inputs.
- Used the factory harness ground to connect the NX500 ground to (I know this is less than ideal, and if needed I can remove this wire, and connect to a better ground, but I want to work through some troubleshooting and know this is neccessary before doing this.

Here's what I've done so far to troubleshoot the whine:
- Removal of the RCA cables from the amplifier does not stop the alternator whine.
- Removal of the RCA cables, and replacing them with shorting plugs as suggested here (http://decibelcar.com/index.php/menu...65-enginenoise) does elliminate the alternator whine.
- Installation of two ground loop isloators behind the H/U between the Head Unit and the Amplifier actually makes the whine worse (that shocked me).
- Checked the ground on the amplifier -- it's currently connected to one of the bolds holding the seat down to the body.

I'm not sure where to go now -- since testing with the shorting plugs elliminated the alternator whine, I have to assume that it's coming from either the H/U or the RCA cables.
Would it make sense to plug the shorting plugs into the RCA cables behind the H/U to determine if it's coming from the RCA cables or the Head Unit?
Also, why would the noise persist when there is nothing plugged into the amp, but stop with the shorting cables? Does this tell me anything? Or is the noise just being picked up somehow by the RCA inputs of the Amplifier?

This is driving me crazy, hopefully with the steps outlined above somebody can shed some light into the next best step...

Btw, I absolutely love the Clarion NX500 - I put the GPS antenna in the center speaker hold. I used a faceplate (cut it up to fit in the speaker) attached to the speaker mounting holes (the holes in the faceplace or 3.5" wide -- the same as the speaker bracket - very cool) and then put the gps antenna on the faceplate and taped it down. I have excellent reception with the gps antenna in that location.

Thanks so much!!

Colin Gibb
Sponsored links
Old 09-27-2010, 10:50 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Custom
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:1648
dodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant futuredodgeman70592 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by colingibb View Post
Okay, so I've installed my new H/U (Clarion NX500) in my 2008 Dodge Ram, and I've got faint alternator whine when revving the engine.

Here's what my configuration was before the install (there was no alternator whine):

- Factory Head Unit
- Audiobahn A4004T Ampifier under the driver's seat
- New heavy duty speaker wiring run directly from the AMP to all 4 door speakers.
- tapped into the factory speaker wires from the side of the car to get the audio to the amplifier.

Here's what the latest install included:
- Installed the Clarion NX500 (replaced the dash bezel with the NAV bezel to maintain a clean, facory look.
- Used a bypass that I got off ebay to bypass the brake connection ( to allow full functionality when the parking brake is off).
- used the PAC harness from Crutchfield.
- connected RCA cables (SCOSHE cables from Wal-Mart directly from the H/U outputs to the Amplifier inputs.
- Used the factory harness ground to connect the NX500 ground to (I know this is less than ideal, and if needed I can remove this wire, and connect to a better ground, but I want to work through some troubleshooting and know this is neccessary before doing this.

Here's what I've done so far to troubleshoot the whine:
- Removal of the RCA cables from the amplifier does not stop the alternator whine.
- Removal of the RCA cables, and replacing them with shorting plugs as suggested here (http://decibelcar.com/index.php/menu...65-enginenoise) does elliminate the alternator whine.
- Installation of two ground loop isloators behind the H/U between the Head Unit and the Amplifier actually makes the whine worse (that shocked me).
- Checked the ground on the amplifier -- it's currently connected to one of the bolds holding the seat down to the body.

I'm not sure where to go now -- since testing with the shorting plugs elliminated the alternator whine, I have to assume that it's coming from either the H/U or the RCA cables.
Would it make sense to plug the shorting plugs into the RCA cables behind the H/U to determine if it's coming from the RCA cables or the Head Unit?
Also, why would the noise persist when there is nothing plugged into the amp, but stop with the shorting cables? Does this tell me anything? Or is the noise just being picked up somehow by the RCA inputs of the Amplifier?

This is driving me crazy, hopefully with the steps outlined above somebody can shed some light into the next best step...

Btw, I absolutely love the Clarion NX500 - I put the GPS antenna in the center speaker hold. I used a faceplate (cut it up to fit in the speaker) attached to the speaker mounting holes (the holes in the faceplace or 3.5" wide -- the same as the speaker bracket - very cool) and then put the gps antenna on the faceplate and taped it down. I have excellent reception with the gps antenna in that location.

Thanks so much!!

Colin Gibb
I would suggest using a ground lug type connection for you amp instead of the seat bolt. I would also make sure your RCA's are not run along the same area as the power cable for the amp. The shielding on the RCA's you have may be light, so checking into a liitle highre quality RCA may be in order too.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD.....lightly modded

2008 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 #3560.....lightly modded
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon....lightly modded (yeah right, it's a Jeep!)
2010 Jeep GC SRT-8.....lightly modded
Old 09-27-2010, 11:11 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:1909
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

I'd be tempted to try another aftermarket HU as well, if you can get your hands on one.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
97ram1500 is on a distinguished road

im not an expert but check to see if the floor where the bolt goes into for ground for the amp has paint on it, if theres paint it'll create a shitty ground in most cases. Maybe try picking a different ground point
Old 10-03-2010, 07:53 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Express
Color: Dk cherry red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:130
GregInAtl will become famous soon enoughGregInAtl will become famous soon enough

sand all paint off a smooth place, drill new hole, attach w/ a nice screw that goes in tight (thats what she said). If that doesn't work, new RCAs.... if you got a bulk wiring kit, I'd bet that is the issue.

06 Stratos 201 Pro XL 225 Yamaha
Old 10-19-2010, 11:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
cwking25 is on a distinguished road

You also might want to just run a bigger ground from the HU to the same ground as your amp ( which btw i would find a better ground, somewhere on the frame if you can ). The owner of a Car Audio shop where i live has been telling me that for years about grounding the HU in the same place as your amp, so i finally started doing that and no more whine. Now i always run that ground just to make sure, plus ive heard when you start putting more grounds in the truck , your increasing the chance of a ground loop. just my 2 cents, hope it helps