DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-26-2010, 05:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Yellow
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:55
toddrod will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Here's an idea!

Anybody here who has done a cai on their rides give me some suggestions on this idea. We've added larger filters=more air and in some cases cold air systems, will the ecm take these variables into consideration? Will the computer re-learn based on the mods added on or can we disconnect (-) terminal for a few minutes and force the ecm to re-learn?
Sponsored links
Old 09-26-2010, 05:56 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Yes and yes.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 09-26-2010, 06:00 PM
erm

An ECM reset would be a good idea.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:10 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge 1500 QC 4x4
Trim Level: Fleet
Color: White
Rep:47
Okiespaniels is on a distinguished road

A few years back I installed a K&N FIPK on my truck. It seemed to help a bit in the mid range department but I had a terrible time keeping the tube bolt tight and other tightening issues. I followed the instructions and reset the ECM by unplugging the battery.
Eventually the tube cracked but K&N replaced it under warranty, and I reluctantly reinstalled it.
I read that Hughes engines reccomended and sold a larger element for the FIPK, but instead I bought a similar one from Spectre and bolted it to the tube. I also removed the sheet metal baffling that K&N sent because it was in the way and may have also contributed to the cracking issue because it was impossible to adjust.
The larger filter element REALLY woke up the FIPK. I also bought a stainless baffle to shield the filter element from the heat off the radiator.
I didn't find any noticable performance loss/gain from removing the metal baffling or adding the shield.
Then I read an article in another forum where a member had replaced his FIPK with a standard round performance filter (14x3).
So in 2007, I removed and sold the FIPK and replaced it with a generic chrome 14x3 filter. I had to use a 3/4 spacer between the filter base and TB to clear the linkage, and fab my breather hose to the base. Also made an S bolt.
This system has been on my truck since. And honestly, the butt dyno can't tell the difference between it and the FIPK with the larger element. I've run it in 100 degree and below zero environments without issue.
I replaced the paper element with another washable Spectre cotton filter.
Finally I love the "old school" look of the engine. But the best part is watching people, especially when other old rodders about snap thier necks when they glance in the engine compartment and a few seconds later thier brain finally registers there's a chrome air cleaner where there ought not to be!

Last edited by Okiespaniels; 09-26-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:39 PM

Vehicle: 97 Dodge 2500
Trim Level: 2500 4x4
Color: hunter green
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:16
Mtx is on a distinguished road

i usually make my own pcv pipe intake. works like a charm. haven't got to making one for my truck yet. everybody elses car has been coming first lately.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:56 PM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiespaniels View Post
A few years back I installed a K&N FIPK on my truck. It seemed to help a bit in the mid range department but I had a terrible time keeping the tube bolt tight and other tightening issues. I followed the instructions and reset the ECM by unplugging the battery.
Eventually the tube cracked but K&N replaced it under warranty, and I reluctantly reinstalled it.
I read that Hughes engines reccomended and sold a larger element for the FIPK, but instead I bought a similar one from Spectre and bolted it to the tube. I also removed the sheet metal baffling that K&N sent because it was in the way and may have also contributed to the cracking issue because it was impossible to adjust.
The larger filter element REALLY woke up the FIPK. I also bought a stainless baffle to shield the filter element from the heat off the radiator.
I didn't find any noticable performance loss/gain from removing the metal baffling or adding the shield.
Then I read an article in another forum where a member had replaced his FIPK with a standard round performance filter (14x3).
So in 2007, I removed and sold the FIPK and replaced it with a generic chrome 14x3 filter. I had to use a 3/4 spacer between the filter base and TB to clear the linkage, and fab my breather hose to the base. Also made an S bolt.
This system has been on my truck since. And honestly, the butt dyno can't tell the difference between it and the FIPK with the larger element. I've run it in 100 degree and below zero environments without issue.
I replaced the paper element with another washable Spectre cotton filter.
Finally I love the "old school" look of the engine. But the best part is watching people, especially when other old rodders about snap thier necks when they glance in the engine compartment and a few seconds later thier brain finally registers there's a chrome air cleaner where there ought not to be!
Got any pics of your setup ?
Old 09-26-2010, 11:54 PM

Yes send some pics, I would like to see your set-up too! So whats the general conscensus about resetting the ecm? Is this a plausible theory or does on board computer memory override?
Old 09-27-2010, 02:03 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge 1500 QC 4x4
Trim Level: Fleet
Color: White
Rep:47
Okiespaniels is on a distinguished road

Maybe this will work...

Here's my deal on the ECM...
All ECMs have a predetermined /programmed set of values. This is a two edged sword as far as mods go.
If you've every done a mod and felt a big change in the first 100 miles or so, then felt like it went away.
This is because the ECM is programmed within a set of values...and while the mod...say an exhaust or intake temporarly leans out the motor and gives you better mileage, the ECM "learns" the new A/F ratio and enrichens the mixture accordingly.
This is why most people who own OBDll systems see a power increase but not a mileage increase until they mod thier ecm with a tuner.

Last edited by Okiespaniels; 09-27-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:49 PM

nice intake set-up and good write up about the ECM.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:30 PM
Find em hot leave em wet

Vehicle: 12 RAM 1500 qc 4x4 HEMI
Trim Level: express
Color: bright silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:204
moparmanicac has a spectacular aura aboutmoparmanicac has a spectacular aura aboutmoparmanicac has a spectacular aura about

You should do a write up on this id love to do this for a cai for my 4.7