DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Diablo Predator Questions & Info!

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-26-2010, 06:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:61
grumpez will become famous soon enough
Default Octane boost and Predator

Ok guys, here is a question for the experts. Here in Arizona we can only get up to 91 octane, other than racing fuel of course. I would like to run the 93 tune on my truck and take full advantage of the Predator, so my question is, if I fill the truck with the 91 octane and then add an octane boost, such as Prestone, will that work? According to Prestone their octane boost adds up to 10 points, but I don't want to take a risk without asking others opinions on this. Thanks in advance guys, I know one of you out there will know the answer to this.
Sponsored links
Old 09-26-2010, 07:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Rep:49
doz is on a distinguished road

If you have 91, use the 91 tune. Dont use an octane booster, its never the same. If you want to run 100 pump for the 93 tune, go for it although its still a waste.

You wont notice alot between the 91/93 tune anyways, not enough to warrant buying a octane booster every fill up lol.

And if you wanted to do that, just buy Toluene and add that
Old 09-26-2010, 08:03 PM

Yeah, buying racing fuel would be a pain and expensive for such little gain. Plus, you can't put it directly in the vehicle, you have to put it in a gas can then put it in the vehicle later. I was just hoping to take advantage of everything I could from the programmer since it cost so much, but if there is not that much difference then no sense going through the extra steps and expense. Thanks for the response. One other question, what is Toluene? Never heard of that one.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:21 PM

Rep:22
MADDOG is on a distinguished road

I've tried both the 93 & 91 tunes in my car and I much preferred the 91 tune results. And you can tweak on that tune for some improvements.

An octane booster is never a consistent method to add an octane value to the fuel and if the mix is considerably different, you could lean out the engine, have serious detonation issues and you do not want that. So go with tune that matches up to your available fuel rating.

One thing to consider is getting a CMR tune done. It's amazing what kind a gains an authorized DS tuner can extract from your vehicle without putting it at risk.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:46 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info and will just stick with what I have. I knew you guys would have the answers for me.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:41 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 2500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Grey
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:87
Torq89 will become famous soon enough

Octane booster doesn't really do much. It take seven points to equal one raise in octane.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:35 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3272
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

One thing that is little know but helps with improving the octane rating of fuel is a fuel catalyst. The octane rating is an average of the whole fuel supply, but this doesn't take into account the octane breakdown due to storage. So over time, as fuel sits in either your tank or the storage compartment of a gas station, it slowly breaks down and results in a lower quality filled with contaminants. A catalyst system will remove most of these impurities and improve the fuel's quality. The Fitch system is documented to add at least 1 MPG as well as improve the fuel quality. If you run 91, then you should still run the 91 tune, however, I've heard of people running the 93 tune and 91 fuel with the catalyst. I first heard about the system in a Truckin' test, and they did see gains on the dyno AND added MPGs over the long run. Here's the fitch link
http://www.fitchcatalyst.com/perform...st_results.php