DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Dealer Issues - VIN and Order Tracking - Dodge Ram MSRP & Pricing Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram Dealer Issues - VIN and Order Tracking - Dodge Ram MSRP & Pricing Discussion Have you had a good experience with your Dodge Ram Dealer? Had a bad one? Let us know about it in here! - Dodge Ram Production Questions - Order Status - VIN Tracking - Etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2007 Ram 1500 Hemi
Trim Level: Jus The TRX
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:41
HoltFF1074 is on a distinguished road
Default Incorrect Oil Choice by Dealer

Hey guys,i need a little input from those in the know.....or at least some of those who think they know I just had my oil changed by my dealer and i've done so before. This time was a lil different for me as i had actually planned to start doing my own oil change as i was preparing to go to mobil1 or royal purple. But after recieving a email from "The Official Ram site"

(http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/?pid=eDi...rect.dodge.com)

I followed the above link which allowed you to enter you zip to find a dealer nearby that would offer some coupon specials. Well,i found the nearest to offer an oil change special to be approx 30min south of me.So i emailed our local dealer and ask why they weren't on this list and offering any specials. They called me the next day,took note of the oil change offer which was 17.99 for a 5qt change/tire rotation/23 point check.Then offered to do my oil change,it being a 7qt requirement at a price of $25,or maybe cheaper he said. So i took it them up on it.Well heres where i found it cost me a lil more than $33 and to really rattle my cage,the sticker says 10w30. My truck is a 07 Ram 5.7 with MDS. I've recently learned some info that theres possibly a problem with the MDS not working properly if using a oil wt other than the required 5w20 as stated in the manuel.This is something that concerns me and now i'm anxiouis to find answers to confirm that this is so and then to find the options i have to bring responsibility to the dealership if in fact they have used the wrong oil this time and probably on previous changes. If theres anything anyone can share,i'm open to suggestions or just willing to recieve all views. My truck has just gone over 30K and i obviously am concerned about long term results. Give me some good answers and i may post yet more pics i've not posted of Gatty2010
Sponsored links
Old 07-05-2010, 10:15 AM

Rep:2217
iRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond reputeiRESQu has a reputation beyond repute

Dang Holt.....I have no idea, but I would be a little LIVID also. Not having that much knowledge about this, did you ask the service advisor why they changed the weight of the oil? Why did he tell you the price was increased above what you agreed to pay?
Old 07-05-2010, 10:19 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Start by demanding either a refund or another oil change immediately and make sure you see 5w-20 going into your engine out of the bottle. If they refuse to work with you, call Chrysler customer assistance and explain what happend and express your concerns as far as engine operation goes.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:26 AM

Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future

You would of thought they should of known better . What was their reason behind the added expense ? If the man quoted you $25.00 they should of stuck with that . I know here in Md. you can only exceed the estimate by 10% . Maybe because it wasn't in writing .
Old 07-05-2010, 10:53 AM

Default They went from good to bad!

Hey guys,i just seen your replys.I did ask the service rep about both issues. and his reply about the price( which unfortunately was just a phone qoute) was " well the price of oil/gas is going up everywhere" To me,thats a prepared response.
About the wt i seen marked on the sticker upon arriving home(never marked on previous stickers) he said "10w30 is the required oil FOR THIS AREA" I say(to myself) WTF you mean for this area.I can read what the book calls for,so i just got off the dodge website after sending a email that read like this....

It is my understanding that as the manuel requires 5w20 wt oil for my truck,that theres also an issue that can arise with the MDS if the improper oil is used.Today i found evidence they are/have used 10w30 oil in my truck.This upsets me enough to the point to bring this information to both Dodge as well as follow up with actions that can protect both myself and other as consumers who put trust in their dealers.Learning that my truck has possibly recieved the wrong oil for thousands of miles is quite disturbing.While i wait to hear any response you may offer,i'll explore any other options so as just not avoid this ever happening again,but to also see what can be done from the bad chioces they have obviously been making at this dealership for some time.I look forward to hearing from you soon. Thank You,DeWayne Hall

This i done after trying the number and found they too are off for the Holiday.So i'm going to exercise some patience for a couple of days and see what the big guys say as i'll explore any and every avenue to correct what has happen.These things cost us too much to have put trust in anyone to then be not just disapointed,but to also possibly suffer equipment failure.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:01 AM
erm

Total BS on that comment from the dealer service about the prices and 10W30 required for a specific area...total BS.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:17 AM

RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Exactly, Michael. I'd be surprised if they actually used 10w30. Most dealerships have 5w-30 in their bulk tanks. The likelyhood of an actual parts failure from 5w-30 is practically nil but it can effect MDS operation. Changing your own oil is the best way to guarantee you get the right oil in your engine. My second choice would be to bring your own oil and filter to a shop and have them do it.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:17 AM

Default OOPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
Total BS on that comment from the dealer service about the prices and 10W30 required for a specific area...total BS.
Bingo,and while i've dealed with 2 different service reps in the time i've gone there,the first was not the kinda guy to hear this stuff from.But i have seen this second service rep do/say similiar things with other customers and had my own personal thoughts had or would he ever use such actions/comments in my direction as a customer. Needless to say he's opened the door for me to see what if anything i can do to correct the experience i just had and hopefully correct this matter for others as well.But i'll be a nice Guy and not mention the name of FRIENDSHIP CHRYSLER DODGE JEEP to anyone as i wouldn't want to spread this all over the internet......
Old 07-05-2010, 11:19 AM

You didn't have to mention it since I'm in the area and I know it's the only other dealer in your area beside the one I work at and we didn't do it!
Old 07-05-2010, 11:21 AM
erm

That's real nice of ya, not calling them out by name... LOLOL