DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-12-2010, 01:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST 2X4
Color: Bright Silver Metalic
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:236
GPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiRamDriver View Post
Yup. From what I was able to gather, there is a seam in the metal there that is supposed to be filled before it is sprayed and it wasn't. It allowed water under the rhino thus by truck's bed rusted completely through before I knew what happened. I was just bummed that they were unwilling to help and wanted to charge me to re-spray the liner after I had to fix the bed myself because of their error. I actually had quite a uproar on *************** about it, back in the day (this was 5-6 years ago). I'm not blaming it on the Rhino, as line-x probably would have caused the same thing if it wasn't prepped correctly; I was just bummed about Rhino's willingness to help .

Other sidenotes - The Rhino is now very faded and dry looking, not rubbery like it used to be.

There are many places where the lining was cut by metal or a shovel, completely down to the sheetmetal of the truck.

I have limitied experience with Line-X but from the year I have had it, I have drove snowmobiles acrossed it, hauled just about whatever you could imagine, shoveled out of it and left it uncovered with no fading. I LOVE it thus far and am completely satified with the customer service as well.
This may be an issue with your Rhino vendor. Rhino is also supposed to have a lifetime warrenty, and though I havent had to use my warrenty the shop told me if I ever have a problem with the lining peeling up, getting cut, peeled of by a pallet and a forklift, etc., to bring it back and they would fix it. They should have taken care of you.

I don't know what they would do to fix fadeing, that's beyond me.

My Rhino is also quite faded but like others have said I think this is a result of the different texture. It is definatly a non-slip surface. I have had trouble with heavy loads (stackable washer/dryer) that were difficult to lift and impossible to slide.

Mods: Thule Xsporter 422XT bed rack, Underrail Rhinolining, MOPAR class IV Hitch, DIY CAI, Aero Turbine 3030.
Future Mods/Wishlist: Tuner, Daystar Comfort Ride 1.5" Leveling kit, Nerf Bars, Police style push bumper with light guards, KC or Thule trail lights, HID projector lights.
Sponsored links
Old 10-13-2010, 01:25 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Austin Tan Pearl
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:80
Mountaineer will become famous soon enough

I went with Line-X and love it. I payed $380 for it. If you plan on transporting sharp metal then you need to be careful, thats about the only thing I have ever seen damage it. Of course with the lifetime warranty all you have to do is take it to any Line-X dealer for repair.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:40 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 QuadCab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2004-2004 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 600 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 600lb/ft
Rep:68
Ostranza will become famous soon enough

Sorry if I'm bumping this old thread or whatever you kids call it these days but just wanted to post on this rather than starting a new thread. I found this tid bit of info on another site from a Line-X feller (biased yes, but informative). Its also a bit old so some of the things might be off, like Rhino being lifetime at point of application vs Line-X lifetime NATIONWIDE (they also warranty fading).

I'm currently thinking about getting my bed done along with the grille, nerf bars, and lower bumpers where the chrome is but below it looks like Line-X may not adhere well to chrome (yet everything else in the world is fair game lol)? Any one with thoughts or experience with this? I'm also curious about Inyati here in the valley but haven't heard anything about it and how it compares to Line-X....

LINE-X and Rhino differ quite a bit. The biggest difference is that LINE-X contains polyurea and Rhino does not. Polyurea enhances the bedliner’s properties: 1. LINE-X's temperature tolerance is 250 degrees and Rhino's is 175. As the temperature of the bed approaches the temp tolerance, it loses its strength. 2. Polyurea keeps moisture out of the solution thus making a more dense and solid liner. Less moisture also means better adhesion. 3. Polyurea also makes for a tougher liner. The tear strength of LINE-X is 304 pounds per linear inch (pli). Rhino is 145 pli. 4. Polyurea sets up very fast, that's one reason why LINE-X goes on with heat and high pressure. LINE-X dries in about 4 seconds, so you get an even application throughout the bed. Rhino takes a minute or so to even gel, an hour or so to dry. Before it gels, gravity can pull the liner from the top ridges in to the low valleys. Rhino’s Tuff Stuff goes on cold/low pressure and thus has that “cottage cheese” or “rain on the windshield” look. LINE-X’s high heat/high pressure system gives it a very nice finished and more consistently applied texture, it’s sort of like an orange peel. The dealer can vary the texture from smooth to very rough. 5. Polyurea makes the liner more chemical resistant, especially to organic oils and solvents.

LINE-X is harder at shore D 45, Rhino is shore A 92.5.

LINE-X offers a NATIONWIDE lifetime warranty. Rhino's warranty is only with the dealer that sprayed it.

About the thin vs. thick debate: Both Rhino and LINE-X are supposed to sprayed on at up to 1/4" on the bed and up to 1/8" on the sides. Now, if you see one brand or the other thinner or thicker, it's the dealer's actions that may be deviating from the norm.

So, Rhino is 100% polyurethane, LINE-X is a mix of polyurethane and polyurea, and Xtreme liner (see duffbeerman above) is 100% polyurea. Both polyurethane and polyurea give the liner desirable properties. I talked about the benefits of polyurea above. Polyurethane has some good properties also. For example, polyurethane has more than twice the abrasion resistance of polyurea. My opinion is that the brands that have a mix of polyurethane and polyurea tend to make the better bedliners.

Regarding Speedliner:
Here is a bit of history: First on the scene were epoxy based products. They were not very durable, they cracked, peeled, etc. Then, ONE-part polyurethane products came along (also referred to as “solvent based”). One-part means that the polyurethane is suspended in a solvent. A catalyst is added which starts a chemical reaction that removes the solvent so that you have just polyurethane left. The catalyst can be a liquid chemical or even just air. One-part polys were a significant improvement over epoxy based products. Examples of today’s one-part polyurethanes include Herculiner, Duplicolor, Durabak, Superliner, and Speedliner. The better technology is TWO-part polyurethanes. Two-part means that a resin (usually a polyol resin) is mixed with isocyanate (a hardener) which renders the polyurethane. Two-part polyurethanes are harder and much more durable than one-part polyurethanes. Two-part polys are used on today’s boats, airplanes, etc. Examples of today’s products that have two-part polyurethanes include LINE-X and Rhino.

LINE-X can be sprayed on most anything including wood, concrete, plastics, and metals. The only metal not suitable is chrome.

Is LINE-X perfect? No, but considering the product, warranty, and the company behind it, it's probably your best bet.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 06 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn Edition
Color: Dark Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
Trublue is on a distinguished road

I had a Tacoma with 300,000 plus miles on it, not sure what liner it had when i bought but I wish I did, I get in my Dodge. I have a friend who has had his Line-x for 3yrs and barely uses his truck as a truck and has multiple chunks taken out of it. He said he wouldn't get it again. I'm looking at getting my truck done next month and I'm not sure which one to go with?????????
Old 11-18-2010, 01:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Line-X was at the November 2010 SEMA show showing off old & new products
http://www.azom.com/news.asp?NewsID=25277
the website promos
http://www.linex.com/promotions_0.shtml

you may be a winner in a Line-X sweepstakes, for a free bedliner
http://www.facebook.com/pages/LINE-X...53651788008493

DON"T bother to enter the Line-X SWEEPSTAKES for a 2010 Ram 2500 44 Crew Cab BIG BOSS diesel , i'm going to win it
http://www.propickupmag.com/project-...s/registration
products that will be on the winners truck
Donors
Bridgestone/FirestoneCurt MFGDaystarDick CepekHoliday RacewayN-FabPiaaProlongRoad ArmorSuperliftTransferflowTruck Supply and Outfitters
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 11-18-2010 at 01:25 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:43 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2006 RAM 3500; 2010 RAM 1500
Color: Black 2 tone grey
Rep:48
rsg1963 is on a distinguished road
Default FOr me, Line-X won the research debate years ago.

Line-X on both of my rigs and will always go with them. VERY tough, and I like the option to add the DuPont treatment to keep it from fading (wifes truck got this). I also Line-X'd my RDS Tank/toolbox in the back of my 3500. I'd Line-X my '79 CJ-7 if I could afford it, but I will get the floor of the CJ done in it since I river cross so much. I can not speak about Rino Lining as I've never had it.

RAM Pickup: 2010 1500 Laramie Hemi: Magtec Rear Diff cover/AmsOil 75w-110 Syn, 24" Magnaflow, Resonator delete, Line-X; Bilstein shocks with leveling kit 2.75";305/60-20 GY Wrangler Silent Armor Pro Grades; Lift Air Bag Suspension;
RAM Truck: 2006 3500 ST Cummins:Line-X; Leveling Kit 2" with Edelbrock shocks; Ultra Custom rims w/ 265/70-17 Goodyear Silent Armor Pro Grade; Backup Camera/NAV/DVD video/Reese 24K 5th wheel hitch; RDS 51 Gal tank/toolbox; Banks:CAI, MonsterRam 3.5",Monster Exhaust;Pac Brake Prxb.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:22 PM

Engine: 2004-2004 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 600 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 600lb/ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trublue View Post
I had a Tacoma with 300,000 plus miles on it, not sure what liner it had when i bought but I wish I did, I get in my Dodge. I have a friend who has had his Line-x for 3yrs and barely uses his truck as a truck and has multiple chunks taken out of it. He said he wouldn't get it again. I'm looking at getting my truck done next month and I'm not sure which one to go with?????????
I'd tell your friend to go to a different dealer and get it fixed or have them check and see what the last dealer did wrong. With so many people saying Line-X is better than Rhino you gotta wonder especially if they use their truck like a truck. Line-X after all is warrantied NATIONWIDE at any dealer.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:22 PM

Rep:19
1RamRunner is on a distinguished road

Just got my Line X Xtra done today and it looks Great! It shines so much, it looks wet, but it isn't. I'm leaving the gate down overnight just to be sure.
Jim
Old 11-18-2010, 04:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Color: Mango Tango
Rep:10
6pakattack is on a distinguished road

LineX for me !!
Old 11-18-2010, 07:20 PM

Just found out the last two Line-X dealers within 25miles of me in Chandler, suburb of Phoenix, have closed shop. Gotta drive to Glendale or North Phoenix (about 1.5hrs from home) if I wanna do Line-X now. Inyati is close and they have a UV additive like Line-X. Also been in business for 25yrs and said lifetime warranty.

He said something about middleman selling supplies to Line-X dealers at a severe markup that franchise owners can't deviate from and drove them out of business.

Also, isn't DuPont Kevlar a fabric? How does Line-X spray a fabric on????