DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-03-2011, 06:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Stock
Color: Gray, two tone
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
DizzyD is on a distinguished road
Default Upgrading my RAM

Hey guys,

I have a 2007 4x4 with a 5.7 HEMI in it. I recently added a Rhino liner and replacement grille guard. I'm still wanting to add a few things:

A leveling kit (so I can eventually put some 35's)

new exhaust

A programmer (some more mpg would definitely be good-the new bumper took off a few mpg). I've read a bit about the Diablo and the Superchips, but I've also seen some like this: http://www.gfchips.com/dodgeram1500.aspx

And a few other aesthetic things (Step-up, black rims, etc).

Do any of you have suggestions for the more important things (such as the lift/level, exhaust, and programmer)? I'm a bit inexperienced with mechanics and whatnot.

I'm also open for any other suggestions (intakes, etc)!

Here's my Truck as is (attached)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0137.jpg (128.8 KB, 17 views)
Sponsored links
Old 03-03-2011, 07:16 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3272
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

SAY NO TO DRUGS!

That 'chip' won't do anything, and will more likely mess up your engine than anything else. If you want to get a proper tune, you need to pay the money and get the predator or the superchip. Both are good programmers and a lot of people on here prefer the predator.

The level, you have plenty of choices, and again, a popular kit is the daystar 2" leveling space.

The exhaust is entierly based on how you want it to sound. If you want it LOUD, go with a flowmaster; if you want a mellow burble, go with a Magnaflow; if you worry about how it'll sound with the MDS on, then you want a top end system like a borla. Best thing is to get on youtube and start listening to exhaust systems on rams, there's tonnes on there.

Honestly, everything you've mentioned, you can do yourself in the driveway with hand tools, so don't be afraid to try it.

Oh, and welcome to the Z!
Old 03-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2463
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to the Z. ^^^^^ Thats some good advice from CdnoilRam. Enjoy the forum and good luck with the mods. Don't forget to post pics when your done, before and after.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Quad Cab
Color: Black
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:869
jcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
SAY NO TO DRUGS!

That 'chip' won't do anything, and will more likely mess up your engine than anything else. If you want to get a proper tune, you need to pay the money and get the predator or the superchip. Both are good programmers and a lot of people on here prefer the predator.

The level, you have plenty of choices, and again, a popular kit is the daystar 2" leveling space.

The exhaust is entierly based on how you want it to sound. If you want it LOUD, go with a flowmaster; if you want a mellow burble, go with a Magnaflow; if you worry about how it'll sound with the MDS on, then you want a top end system like a borla. Best thing is to get on youtube and start listening to exhaust systems on rams, there's tonnes on there.

Honestly, everything you've mentioned, you can do yourself in the driveway with hand tools, so don't be afraid to try it.

Oh, and welcome to the Z!
I don't think he could have said it any better! One thing I will add though is, you might also want to look at some Bilstein 5100's adjustable shocks. You can get up to 2.5" of lift in the front, and you won't have to worry about a rougher ride on the stock shocks! Welcome!
Old 03-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Stock
Color: Gray, two tone
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
DizzyD is on a distinguished road

I appreciate the help!

I figured that chip wouldn't do anything worthwhile. As for the programmers, which would give better bonuses for mpg? I'm only getting about 13-16, with careful driving, so I'm looking for any boosts possible.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram ST 4.7L V8
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:14
BCWhite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcasey10 View Post
One thing I will add though is, you might also want to look at some Bilstein 5100's adjustable shocks. You can get up to 2.5" of lift in the front, and you won't have to worry about a rougher ride on the stock shocks!
So you would recommend Bilstein's? I've been looking at them, but I am unsure.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Quad Cab
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:869
jcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to beholdjcasey10 is a splendid one to behold

I would recommend them, but don't have them. And they won't work on earlier 3rd gen trucks like yours and mine. But a lot of people who have them love them. Eventually, I'll be switching out my old shocks for some Bilstein HD's
Old 03-04-2011, 01:36 PM
erm

I agree about that chip. I run a Predator on two HEMI powered vehicles and have gotten good results from them. My truck did see a 1 - 2 mpg improvement around town and almost 4 mpg on road trips. And I drive fairly aggressively (I'm a lead foot).

I run a Magnaflow single in / dual out muffler. I like the sound of the Magnaflow products. You can listen to a lot of systems out there on the web to get a better idea of how different brands sound.

I have a 4" lift with KMC XD Addict 18X9 wheels with a +18 offset and 285/75RX18 Toyo A/T's.

The rest of my mods can be found here:

\Ram Mods