DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Product Reviews

Notices

Product Reviews Have you found a great product, or a really bad one and you just need to tell someone about it! Post up a review for the benefit of all!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-27-2014, 04:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Arctic White
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
Muerm81 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Raptor nerf bars suck!

I ordered a set of Raptor wheel to wheel 5" oval step bars for my new 2014 Ram crew long bed. Now I purchased these with the understanding that they would fit either a long or short bed. So I knew they would not reach the rear wheels. That's fine. I installed them with little trouble. However, the first issue I had was the body mount bolts. Raptor's mounts require you to remove the original heavy galvanized bolts dodge supplies and replace them with cheap plain steel bolts they supply with the hardware package. No big deal, I'll buy new bolts. Now I get the bars on... They don't look right to me. It has nothing to do with the mounting. I adjusted them as far back as possible, but for some reason Raptor mounted the rear step for the bed access by the rear doors of the truck. Half the pad is by the bed so it is still usable. It just doesn't make any sense. So I did what any normal person would do... Call the company and complain. I was told more than once these are the correct steps for my truck after I told them I realize they are the correct ones, they fit, and I know that your little book is going to say the same. The truth is they do fit, they just don't look like they belong in my opinion. Raptor should not advertise a product to be a custom fit application when it is clearly not intended for that application. I don't believe they would look good on a short bed either. At one point they actually told me the steps are placed exactly where they should be for practical use not looks. If that was the case there would have been no argument. The fact is that only half the rear step is usable. And if the product doesn't look good no one would buy it. Looks and accessibility are equally important. Unbelievable! In the end, customer service treated me like a child, they had no interest in satisfying me, and I will never purchase a product from them again. More than anything I'm pissed at customer service. If they were a smaller company I bet they would have built a set for my truck. I'm a small business owner and that's what I would have done just to shut me up.
Sponsored links
Old 03-27-2014, 04:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
pctrips is on a distinguished road

I got the cab length for my crew cab and functionally they are fine but I don't really care for how they look on my truck which is a bummer.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 cc 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Granite
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:32
finn5033 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pctrips View Post
I got the cab length for my crew cab and functionally they are fine but I don't really care for how they look on my truck which is a bummer.
Same here, I can't stand the way they look but they function just fine. I sold them and bought the mopar ones.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:55 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:636
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

good to know, won't bother looking at these.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Longhorn CC 6'4
Color: Western Brown
Rep:19
NWGaGator is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info, that is a step I was looking at before I went with the Longhorn, and I must say I'm happier with the factory steps than I thought I would be.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I'm considering the mopar boards. Either that or I'm going to build my own. I'm a pretty good welder. Raptor had every chance and I told them i was going to post reviews about my experience. Their response was they sell a ton of them, good luck. People need to hear this so I'm working on posting as many reviews on many sites as possible.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport Crew
Color: True Blue Pearl
Rep:1101
LowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud of

OP, throw up a pic so we can see how bad they look.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I will tonight. It is not that bad, just not that great either. For $500 I expected a little more. Everyone has their own preference. The breaking point for me was dealing with customer service. If not for that experience I wouldn't be trashing this company.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:29 AM

Vehicle: 2014 RAM
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:121
canadian.bacon will become famous soon enoughcanadian.bacon will become famous soon enough

I got the 4" ovals and I love them. I like them much better than the stock ones on my '12. Mine were $269 delivered to my door from autoanything. Note that the Raptor ones are rated 500lb, they look and feel very sturdy, whereas most of the other ones are rated 300lb. They don't flex at all (tried it with 2 people on jumping up and down) and they are away from the body panels a bit more than stock, which is exactly what I needed, a USABLE bar. All the other ones, including stock, are way too close to the door and my foot doesn't fit ok, especially with hunting boots on. I'm not a big guy, 5'9 - 180lb and these are perfect for me, especially when getting out of the truck. I tripped several times on the stock ones, even more when wet.
Also, note that the raptors have 3 mounts, most of the other ones have 2. Also, they do not collect ice/snow as much as the other ones, being away from the doors. They look awesome, chromed, not polished.
Cab length, short bed:

Old 03-28-2014, 12:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

They built a nice bar for you. Looks awesome. I agree they are sturdy even though mine only have 2 mounting points. When I step on them the bars flex not the mount since they are into the body mount. On that note I could see the pressed in nuts on the bars working there way loose. It seems like that's the flex point. For the record, I never said they were a bad looking bar. I just don't like the way they look, fit, and function on my truck. I told the guys at raptor if they had built this bar for my truck I bet it would be awesome. By the way, I wish they stuck out a little further. I have to be careful stepping into my truck with my size 13s. My father has the ford factory boards on his truck and they are perfect, a touch lower and a touch further out.