DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Crew Cab
Color: Deep Blue
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
tyros is on a distinguished road
Default Auto-Dimming Towing Mirrors on Laramie

I copied this post from the newbie threads, I thought I might get additional responses here.

Hey everyone, I just bought a 2010 Laramie Crew Cab last Wednesday, and I love it! However, I'm not too thrilled with Dodge/Chrysler at the moment.

My Ram came with exterior towing mirrors, which I noticed were not auto-dimming like my rear view mirror does. To confirm, I checked the 2010 brochure and yes, for the Laramie, regular and towing exterior mirrors are supposed to auto-dim.

The dealership is arguing with Dodge, who doesn't know what they're talking about... even though I gave the dealer a photocopy of the window sticker and the brochure explicitly showing auto-dimming mirrors.

There must be other 2010 Laramie owners that have towing mirrors. Do yours auto-dim? Is this something stupid like disconnected wires? I only ask because my rambox lock cylinder on the drivers side wasn't keyed, thankfully an easy fix.

Thank you for your help, and it's good to be here!
Sponsored links
Old 10-01-2010, 06:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: RootBeer
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

As was posted in your Newbie thread. Make sure the switch on the inside mirror is turned on and there is nothing blocking the rear window.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 10-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I should have mentioned that the auto-dimming rear view mirror is working. I could tell there was a problem by covering the rear view mirror sensor. The rear-view works fine but the side mirrors do not.

So, my dealership went up to bat for me, fought with Chrysler and they ordered new auto-dimming towing mirrors. should be no further inconvenience since they also had to order a new driver's seat (spring broke on the inside). I also talked to them about the dye on my jeans rubbing off onto the leather, which is really bizarre over the course of a week. They're not even new jeans! To top it off I also purchased leather protector from them which was applied. I think there may be some chemical interaction from this interior leather protectant.

I'll get some pics up soon of my Ram! I think the first things I want to get are a Tonneau cover for the rambox and floor mats. Any recommendations?
Old 10-07-2010, 12:19 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep water blue
Rep:401
Crash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really niceCrash is just really nice

I ordered the weathertecs, they fit perfect and look sharp IMO And for tooneau I went with Bak Flip.
Frt 20%tint,Line-x,Bak-Flip,El T/gate Lock,Box Lights,LED T/gate Bar,Bilsteins,Timbren SES,Chrome Bug Sheild,Putco Vent Visors,Amp Powersteps,HID Lows,Fogs,Volant Cai,Engine Cover Painted&Lit,B Pillar Tape Removed,Weather Tech Mats,Mopar Mud Flaps,Shorty Antenna,SRT 22s,Diablo Trinity

Last edited by Crash; 12-12-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:12 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:145
sowardcustoms will become famous soon enoughsowardcustoms will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyros View Post
I copied this post from the newbie threads, I thought I might get additional responses here.

Hey everyone, I just bought a 2010 Laramie Crew Cab last Wednesday, and I love it! However, I'm not too thrilled with Dodge/Chrysler at the moment.

My Ram came with exterior towing mirrors, which I noticed were not auto-dimming like my rear view mirror does. To confirm, I checked the 2010 brochure and yes, for the Laramie, regular and towing exterior mirrors are supposed to auto-dim.

The dealership is arguing with Dodge, who doesn't know what they're talking about... even though I gave the dealer a photocopy of the window sticker and the brochure explicitly showing auto-dimming mirrors.

There must be other 2010 Laramie owners that have towing mirrors. Do yours auto-dim? Is this something stupid like disconnected wires? I only ask because my rambox lock cylinder on the drivers side wasn't keyed, thankfully an easy fix.

Thank you for your help, and it's good to be here!
OPERATION
The ambient photocell sensor is located on the forward-facing (windshield side) of the rear view mirror housing, and detects the ambient light levels outside of the vehicle. The headlamp photocell sensor is located inside the rear view mirror housing behind the mirror glass and faces rearward, to detect the level of the light being received at the rear window side of the mirror. When the circuitry of the automatic day/night mirror detects that the difference between the two light levels is too great (the light level received at the rear of the mirror is much higher than that at the front of the mirror), it begins to darken the mirror.

The automatic day/night mirror circuitry also monitors the transmission using an input from the backup lamp circuit. The mirror circuitry is programmed to automatically disable its self-dimming feature whenever it senses that the transmission backup lamp circuit is energized.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:53 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:209
Barnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyros View Post
I'll get some pics up soon of my Ram! I think the first things I want to get are a Tonneau cover for the rambox and floor mats. Any recommendations?
I've got the Mopar slush mats (love them but kind of pricey!) and currently saving for a Retrax cover (also pricey!!!)
Old 10-30-2010, 03:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Update: still waiting on the auto-dimming mirrors. I called the dealer two days ago and they have an eta of three weeks! I wonder when I'm actually going to get these things.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:47 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Aries is on a distinguished road

I bought the weathertech digital fit liners for my Ram. and like them!
My rear view mirrors auto dimming. I was surprised when I noticed that the two side mirrors did this too. It makes night time driving so much better.
I have the Mopar tonneau cover. I'm happy with it.
Although the look of the bakflip is a nicer finish. The Mopar one does the job.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

BAKFlip Tonneau Cover for Dodge RAM with RAMBOX now Available!
http://bakfliptonneaucover.com/dodge...box___details_
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 02-17-2011, 01:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I'm going to perform a little thread necromancy and give an update.
I still don't have the auto-dimming towing mirrors. Now, talking with the dealership, they say there is no such option to have auto-dimming towing mirrors. Only the standard mirrors auto-dim, and if you get towing mirrors, they do not auto-dim. Can anyone please confirm/deny this? It's been months (since Sept. when I bought my laramie) waiting and fighting to try and get this resolved. Thanks everyone!