DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-28-2010, 07:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:243
CHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3RAM View Post
I went over to a specialty 4x4 shop today and they put my truck on their lift with the intention of cutting some off the coils to lower the rear end. After looking at them they chickened out. The bottoms are tapered so it would have to be cut off the top of the coil. They thought it looked like the top was wrapped a little tighter and that the coil diameter was a little smaller at the top. If anyone has done this, is that true? Does the coil remain seated now that is a little shorter and there are no keepers on them? I would hate to have the springs fall out on a big bump some day although I do not intend to do any off-roading with the truck.
The smaller tighter wraps are what soak up the small bumps when driving. That what I was talking about with "progressive" springs and the ride becoming harsher if those are cut.

I'll do some research next week and see what I can come up with using the extra set of springs I have.
Sponsored links
Old 11-25-2010, 07:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 dodge ram crew cab
Trim Level: laramie
Color: blue
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
18dragon is on a distinguished road
Default 2" drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3RAM View Post
I posted earlier today in another thread to find out the same thing. I have 'googled' the hell out of this and all I can find for a 4x4 is the Ground Force lowering kit that runs upwards of $700. I just wanted to lower my rear 2" so the truck would fit in the garage. Surely we're not the only two people in America who want to do this.
no you are not the only person that wants only to drop the rear of their dodge ram, I have a 2010 dodge ram crew cab , it seem the manufactures are not concerned about dropping just the rear or our DODGES and I have had the same problems. All i can say is good luck and hopefully a manufacturer out there is smart enough to get the hent that there are some truck owners out there that want to level there RAMS by lowering the rear rather than lifting the front.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: R/T Baby!!!
Color: Bright White
Rep:2078
chithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond reputechithead has a reputation beyond repute

I just cut 1 and 1/4 coils off my rear springs. Will be taking some pictures and commenting on the ride changes in detail shortly
Old 01-31-2011, 07:35 PM
johnnyh

Did anyone cut the coils and not suffer a harsh ride. I called belltech and mcgaughys and both said they had no intentions of making rear coils.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

CHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura about

Ground Force already makes a rear only lowering kit for the std cabs. They said the q/c and c/c will be out early this year.

http://www.groundforce.com/vehicle.a...Dodge&make=Ram 1500
Old 01-31-2011, 08:38 PM
johnnyh

You saved me from destroying my stock coils. 2 days of research and never saw anythig from ground force other than their 2"/3" kit. Thanks
Old 01-31-2011, 08:42 PM

Vehicle: Ram 2500 SLT Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:147
SnowChief will become famous soon enoughSnowChief will become famous soon enough

I know with leafs one can "clamp" them to lower the frame. Not sure if any sort of clamp exists for a coil. I have not seen one and it would seem to me to be more difficult, if not impossible. I will keep my eyes open if I see anything and post if I run across anything.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl
Rep:27
jwsnowman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrieldy View Post
Ground Force already makes a rear only lowering kit for the std cabs. They said the q/c and c/c will be out early this year.

http://www.groundforce.com/vehicle.a...Dodge&make=Ram 1500
I was looking at their site earlier and was wondering why the only made the 2" rear drop for the std cab! I have a sport 4x4 q/c but I don't want to drop it with the Ground Force 2/3 kit or McGaughys 2/4 kit. I think that leveling the rear with the stock front height would be a perfect height for me. I'll be on Ground Force's web site every day now if they're releasing the rear kit for the q/c soon!
Old 02-03-2011, 06:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

When I was thinking about ordering the GF rear leveling kit a while back I called them and was told that all 3 different cabs use different rear springs. They were still developing the q/c and c/c spring rates and would be realesed soon.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:17 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram , 1983 Jeep CJ7
Trim Level: Crew Cab Sport
Color: White
Rep:20
Phreak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Phreak

Anyone thought to check the size of the fronts? to see if they are smaller?
or maybe grab some coils off a Jeep rubicon and see if they fit??

i was looking for a lowering kit as well.. I,ll look around for some rubi springs and see