DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

View Poll Results: Like?
Yes 12 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-2010, 11:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram HD 4x4 S. Box
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:68
WesGPS will become famous soon enough
Smile Bad Boy Air System Project

I recently completed installing a compressor / air tank / remotely controlled air bag system / on my truck. The compressor and tank reside on an aluminum diamond plate deck suspended between the frame rails just below the radiator. The aluminum suspension components (brackets and bolts) are insulated from the steel frame rails in order to prevent corrosion due to current transfer between dissimilar materials.

Tank pressure is maintained between 110 and 150 PSI in the 2-1/2 gallon tank by a combination relay / pressure switch that is activated by a “keyed” 12 volt line. The tank and compressor are both manufactured by Viair. The compressor is rated to operate up to a 33% duty cycle at 4 CFM / 90 PSI. A quick release chuck is connected to one of the tank ports for emergency tire inflation. A pressure regulator is connected to another. The regulator is set to send 90 PSI to the control mechanism for the air bags.

Pressure in the AirLift 5000 air bags is regulated by a (modified) remotely controlled AirLift “Wireless Air” system. Stock AirLift “Wireless Air” system components normally consist of a sun visor mounted remote unit with a digital display, a compressor sufficient to provide up to 100 PSI to a set of air bags, a relay / wiring harness, and a manifold configured with an inlet port and two outlet ports. The manifold is controlled by the sun visor mounted remote. In my modified configuration the AirLift compressor was replaced by an air solenoid valve.

The wiring harness and solenoid were mounted in a cast aluminum “Project Box” and the manifold was mounted onto an aluminum bracket, both of which are located on the inside of the rocker panel about the middle of the rear door on the drivers side. The manifold mount is pop riveted directly to the body shell, however the project box is mounted onto battens that have countersunk mounting screws installed. The countersunk screws are prevented from turning in the battens by the use of backing nuts between the batten itself and the back of the project box. The battens are, in turn, pop riveted to the body shell. This allows for easily removing the whole project box or just the components if any maintenance is required.

Special thanks go to Donovan at Suspension Connection for working with me to recommend products and to set me up with a “custom” configuration, also to Top Fuel Harley Pilot Greg Groves for cutting out the aluminum plate, my neighbor Mike for advice, Troy, Service Department Manager at Hayes Instrument Company, for checking my wiring ideas, and the expert help at AirLift provided by Ben, Chris, and Walt for outstanding technical support.

A photographic essay with brief comments (above the relevant pictures) follows.

Here's one of the air bags that needs controlling. The air bags, tailpipe modification, and anti sway bar were earlier projects.

This looks like a likely place for a compressor and air tank.

First, a cardboard pattern.

Next, a luan plywood pattern / test piece.
I installed this and drove for many miles on hot summer days to make sure no heating problems cropped up.

Heating test complete - now the aluminum plate. That wooden creeper in the background is one more hard item to find nowadays! I got this one from Car Quest.

Insulated bolt and bracket.

Test run.

View from top.

Pressure regulator and relay / pressure switch view. It's not real easy to find a spot to put anything on a modern vehicle.

Countersunk screws with backing nuts holding battens on project box.

Relay harness and solenoid.

I just want to play - does he ALWAYS work on that truck?

Looking aft, directly at the AirLift Manifold. I double grounded this. The ground wires run from the solenoid and the manifold to the body shell - the conduit at the top of the picture continues the ground to the frame. There is yet another ground wire inside the conduit that runs to the relay harness in the control box. The reason it is not tied to the common ground is because the manifold is actually switched through an independent ground.

Looking forward.

Sun visor mounted remote showing 5 PSI in each air bag. The icon in the middle is a symbol that looks somewhat like a vehicle. When communication is in progress the arrow in the middle progressively flashes over and over from the bottom up to the point.

finis.

2005 Dodge Quad Cab Heavy Duty 4X4 5.7L Hemi.
Air Lift Remotely Controlled Air Bags.
Hellwig Rear Anti Sway Bar.
Viair Onboard Air System.

Last edited by WesGPS; 10-07-2010 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Added picture of remote.
Sponsored links
Old 10-06-2010, 11:39 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST 2X4
Color: Bright Silver Metalic
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:236
GPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura about

Holy crap man. That's an awsome build. You shold think about asking for this moved to the how too forum, or at least linking it for posterity's sake.

Mods: Thule Xsporter 422XT bed rack, Underrail Rhinolining, MOPAR class IV Hitch, DIY CAI, Aero Turbine 3030.
Future Mods/Wishlist: Tuner, Daystar Comfort Ride 1.5" Leveling kit, Nerf Bars, Police style push bumper with light guards, KC or Thule trail lights, HID projector lights.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:43 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Color: Black
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:66
Black05RAM will become famous soon enough

Thats a great project you just completed and it looks GREAT!
Old 10-07-2010, 12:44 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: RootBeer
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1287
RootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud ofRootBeer has much to be proud of

Great how-to with pics.
"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"
Old 10-07-2010, 08:18 AM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram Quad
Color: Red
Rep:840
UltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to behold

Very nice set up indeed. Mine is not as elaborate as yours but it works great.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:25 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram HD 4x4 S. Box
Color: Silver
Rep:68
WesGPS will become famous soon enough

Very cool! I like the way you mounted the compressor and relay. You probably discovered what I did; there aren't a whole lot of square inches anywhere left over to put stuff.

I mounted my gauge on the right side of the steering wheel at the very bottom of the dash. At first I thought my leg might be too close to it, but it turned out there is plenty of room. I can't really see the thing at a glance while driving but that is not an inconvenience because it just indicates tank pressure - which is automatically controlled. The main reason I even have it is for the switch - well, and then I think it looks trick too.

I used the clutch blank out to get through the firewall - those grommets were a real wrestling match!

Best regards, Wes

WesGPS

2005 Dodge Quad Cab Heavy Duty 4X4 5.7L Hemi.
Air Lift Remotely Controlled Air Bags.
Hellwig Rear Anti Sway Bar.
Viair Onboard Air System.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:40 PM

Vehicle: 2003 ram 2wheel drive
Trim Level: slt/sport (bones)
Color: black
Rep:659
bones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to beholdbones64 is a splendid one to behold

Simply awsome work and write up...........Thanks. Reps for sure
Edd's : Hemi/ K&N C.A.I BONES Edition / Roll pan/Hood scoop/ Tinted heads,tails,3rd brake/ stereo upgrade/ T.M.D front bumper cover /Painted interior, 5" rear flip.2 inch front drop coils, Painted calipers,Eye brows
Old 10-07-2010, 05:53 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 2500 5.7L
Trim Level: Lone Star
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:14
jaynuke is on a distinguished road

That's a very Sweeetttt build.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:32 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram Quad
Color: Red
Rep:840
UltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to beholdUltraFlame is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesGPS View Post
Very cool! I like the way you mounted the compressor and relay. You probably discovered what I did; there aren't a whole lot of square inches anywhere left over to put stuff.

I mounted my gauge on the right side of the steering wheel at the very bottom of the dash. At first I thought my leg might be too close to it, but it turned out there is plenty of room. I can't really see the thing at a glance while driving but that is not an inconvenience because it just indicates tank pressure - which is automatically controlled. The main reason I even have it is for the switch - well, and then I think it looks trick too.

I used the clutch blank out to get through the firewall - those grommets were a real wrestling match!

Best regards, Wes

WesGPS
I thought about putting my gauge to the right of the steering column like yours but that is where I put the brake controller so I can adjust it when I first start out or if I need to reach easily to lock the brakes up for some reason. With it under my seat I have the line of sight back towards the trailer to adjust the bags more or less to make sure I am level before driving off with a big ass trailer behind me. I would have liked to place it to the left of the dash but there was no room. I also went into the engine compartment through the same area as you did. Great minds - LOL.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:59 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

Great job!