DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-07-2014, 12:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
MindenRam is on a distinguished road
Default Bully Dog for Hemi Installation with Pictures!

Hey, I just recently installed the Bully Dog Hemi programmer in my ’04 Ram 1500 with a 5.7L Hemi, and wanted to make a post to help anyone looking for information on them, or looking for help with the install.

First Impressions:
I’ve had the programmer for just over a month now. I bought it at a performance shop here in Kitchener and it ended up being a little bit more than the internet price. The biggest thing I have noticed is a big impact on performance. I have it set to the performance tune, and I’m not sure if it delivers the 25 horsepower and torque that it says, but the truck is definitely faster. The best way I have seen people on here describe it is that “it really wakes up the Hemi.” I agree 100%. The throttle response is instant and the shifts are much smoother. Did a 0-60 test on a fairly wet road in 4WD and got 7.8 seconds, which isn’t too bad.

As far as MPG increases go, I haven’t had any. I was getting 13.2 MPG before and still am. But to be fair it is winter; I am getting about 1.5 MPG worse than I was in the summer and a programmer can’t really save fuel when you are idling to warm your truck up in the cold mornings! Also I have a bad habit of putting my foot to the floor a little more than I should. I’m hoping to get a bit better mileage in the summer as long as I can keep my foot out of it!

The Install:
There are basically two options for installing this tuner. You can just install it to the truck and take it out, or you can install it and keep it plugged in as a monitor. The instructions gave most of the info needed. You download the software to the tuner via internet onto the SD card provided and plug that into the tuner. For the first week I had it, only the tune was installed to my truck since I didn’t have access to a warm garage. It comes with an adaptor that plugs into the truck’s OBDII port found under the dash. The adaptor has an HDMI input (that goes to plug into the Bully Dog), and a power input. It also has a switch to choose between ‘battery,’ and ‘key’ power. ‘Battery’ means it will always be on as long as it is plugged in, and ‘key’ means it comes on with the truck.
With mine, I mounted the Bully Dog to the windshield with the suction cup mount provided. I ran the HDMI cable from there down through the weather stripping, to come out by the pedals, and into to the adaptor. I mounted the adaptor to the metal bar with a nut and bolt that the OBDII port is also mounted to where the plastic knee piece ends (under the steering wheel). The power cable is where is got a little more tricky as it requires getting the power cable from inside the cab to the fuse box. You have to find a 10 or 15 amp fuse for something that only comes on with the truck. I used the HVAC fuse (#36 – 10 amp). The programmer comes with a fuse tap for it. You pull the fuse you select and pop the metal tab around the prong of the fuse that will plug into the non-powered side of the fuse input. You will need a test light tool to figure it out. You then take the cut end of the wire and crimp it, plug the fuse back in, and you’re good to go power-wise. As for the cable getting to the fuse box, I drilled a hole just big enough for the cable where the clutch would be on a standard into the engine bay and ran it to the fuse box where a drilled another hole. You’ll want to make sure these remain water tight after drilling.
To install the Bully Dog tune, you’ll need about 10 minutes to download the software to the Bully Dog, and another 15 or so to plug it into the truck and install it. The wiring, for ‘key-on’ power took me about 30 minutes and I didn’t know what I was doing really.
Hope this helps anyone inquiring information, or installing the Bully Dog. It is a great tuner, and I have really enjoyed it so far.
Thanks!

Brandon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BD post revised 1.jpg (101.9 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg BD post revised 2.jpg (128.0 KB, 92 views)
Sponsored links
Old 03-07-2014, 08:24 PM
I do it because I can!

Vehicle: 2005 RAM 1500
Trim Level: LoneStar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2945
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome write up, Brandon. Thanks for the show and tell.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
MindenRam is on a distinguished road

Thank you! Don't mention it, there were a few things that were kind of weird in the installation for me so I hope maybe this will save someone some time or something!
Old 03-09-2014, 04:07 AM
I do it because I can!

Vehicle: 2005 RAM 1500
Trim Level: LoneStar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2945
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindenRam View Post
Thank you! Don't mention it, there were a few things that were kind of weird in the installation for me so I hope maybe this will save someone some time or something!
That's what it's all about, brother.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 04 1500 SLT Hemi
onefst5pt0 is on a distinguished road

This is prolly a stupid question but.. the HDMI power wire has both positive and negative coming out of it it seems. How did u crimp the wire? Meaning did u crimp both pos and neg together to the fuse or did u seperate ground it?
Old 08-14-2015, 03:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 04 1500 SLT Hemi
onefst5pt0 is on a distinguished road

anyone?