DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-05-2012, 02:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2008 Ram Hemi
Trim Level: Lonestar
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:296
BlackHemI is a jewel in the roughBlackHemI is a jewel in the roughBlackHemI is a jewel in the rough

Yea Dodge it won't hurt anything but that pretty box LOL

Also I wonder if you did this to a volant if it would be a greater difference than stock or even a stock volant
14" magnaflow with custom magna y-pipe, 8k heads and fogs, hella FF 500's, 5% tint all the way, 60" LED brake light, Smoked tails and 3rd, Ballistic Jesters in 275/55/20 zeon ltz, color matched handles/mirrors, painted calipers, L.E.D interior, debadged & Viper 5901, 180 t-stat
Sponsored links
Old 01-05-2012, 03:24 PM

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Express RC 2WD
Trim Level: Express Regular Cab
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:74
jmr will become famous soon enough

DodgeRT,
I would drill a 4" hole in the bottom of that heat shield below the filter then put a 4" alum tubing like we've done. Then open up the lower grille and have the tubing sit behind it.

Chuckie has proven that this mod works by getting the reading from the IAT sensor and noticing it's just a few degrees hotter than the ambient temp. I veried that air is definately being rammed into the airbox. I used my portable wind tunnel (leaf blower) and aiming it towards the bumper from 3 feet away.
Next the airbox lid was removed along with the filter then the blower was tuerned on and sure enough a nice strong stream of air flowed into the 4" tubing. So it's working allright.

'14 RAM 1500 Express RC 2WD 3.6L 8SPD 3.55 W/LSD uConnect 5.0 Red Calipers, K&N Filter, 4" AirBox Intake Tube, Cabin Air Filter, Upper Glove Box, OEM Hemi Dual Exhaust
Old 01-05-2012, 03:30 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram rt
Trim Level: rt
Color: brilliant black pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1061
dodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr View Post
DodgeRT,
I would drill a 4" hole in the bottom of that heat shield below the filter then put a 4" alum tubing like we've done. Then open up the lower grille and have the tubing sit behind it.

Chuckie has proven that this mod works by getting the reading from the IAT sensor and noticing it's just a few degrees hotter than the ambient temp. I veried that air is definately being rammed into the airbox. I used my portable wind tunnel (leaf blower) and aiming it towards the bumper from 3 feet away.
Next the airbox lid was removed along with the filter then the blower was tuerned on and sure enough a nice strong stream of air flowed into the 4" tubing. So it's working allright.
I think i will do this hows the hole saw work on metal and got part names of the stuff from lowes -home depot and what i was thinking was poping the bottom grill off getting some kind of mesh paint it black then make a scoop to hook the tube to by the grill
Old 01-05-2012, 09:37 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright White
Rep:209
Barnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHemI View Post
Yea Dodge it won't hurt anything but that pretty box LOL

Also I wonder if you did this to a volant if it would be a greater difference than stock or even a stock volant
The Volant comes w/ a 4" flange already molded into the bottom of the box. It's for their ram air attachment that they have yet to design/release for the '09-'12's. I've got a section of 4" dryer vent hooked up to mine and routed to the bottom of the engine bay behind the bumper and like it a lot.

I'm also planning on adding a flapper to my stock fender inlet to 'encourage' the intake to take from the lower dryer vent tube rather than the restricted fender inlet. If the engine needs more air during WOT the pressure differential across the flapper should force it open and provide the added air. We'll see.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:04 PM

BlackHemI is a jewel in the roughBlackHemI is a jewel in the roughBlackHemI is a jewel in the rough

Yea but their attatchment is expensive so I'd stick with the mod everyone's doing to save $$
14" magnaflow with custom magna y-pipe, 8k heads and fogs, hella FF 500's, 5% tint all the way, 60" LED brake light, Smoked tails and 3rd, Ballistic Jesters in 275/55/20 zeon ltz, color matched handles/mirrors, painted calipers, L.E.D interior, debadged & Viper 5901, 180 t-stat
Old 01-09-2012, 01:22 PM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn Edition
Color: Inferno Red
Rep:137
mrboots will become famous soon enoughmrboots will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHemI View Post
Great info chuckie..
Mr boots, I thought youhad hid headlights too?
Nope, not yet. Just the fogs and the grill lights right now. Still debating on what company I want to use for the headlights mostly.
35% Tint, Flowmaster 40, Custom painted interior, Painted grill emblem, Custom CAI,6000k HID Fogs/6000k Grill lights, Custom bed LED's, Blue dash LED's, Engine bay/interior lighting, Custom audio, 4" Raptor Nerf Bars, Cooper Zeon LTZ's, Diablosport 93 oct. tune
Old 01-09-2012, 01:41 PM

I took my hids out of.my.fogs this.weekend.because.one of.my bulbs was out. If I come across a deal ill buy a new set
Old 01-16-2012, 12:23 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 1500 4x4, 5.2L
Color: Flat Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
nicraage is on a distinguished road

Wow, I came across this thread after looking for something to use to do this with the spectre CAI I just ordered. I'm out of the U.S. now, so I can't just go to a lowes and look around. This is what I ordered, and it looks to be perfect. I found it on amazon, and it's called Amerimax FlexDNSPTExtension

They have black as well, but wanted 20 dollars to ship it, and the green one had free shipping, so I will just spray it with plasti dip.

It can be stretched out to up to just under 5 feet

I also ordered some polyester mesh material with a few different micron openings, thinking of it as a moisture filter. I was going to experiment with a few different micron sizes to see if it restricts the air flow too much. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...02_i00_details

Last edited by nicraage; 01-16-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:50 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicraage View Post
Wow, I came across this thread after looking for something to use to do this with the spectre CAI I just ordered. I'm out of the U.S. now, so I can't just go to a lowes and look around. This is what I ordered, and it looks to be perfect. I found it on amazon, and it's called Amerimax FlexDNSPTExtension

They have black as well, but wanted 20 dollars to ship it, and the green one had free shipping, so I will just spray it with plasti dip.

It can be stretched out to up to just under 5 feet

I also ordered some polyester mesh material with a few different micron openings, thinking of it as a moisture filter. I was going to experiment with a few different micron sizes to see if it restricts the air flow too much. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...02_i00_details
Yep, saw that stuff at Lowe's when I was getting the stuff for mine. I went with RV sewer line, but they have all kinds of downspout PVC parts, drain hose, and fittings to work with there. I do not think you have to worry about water entry if you're mounting the opening down lower. With the other OEM opening in the fender well, you will not get any draw from the engine strong enough to pull water up that intake hose. It's like having a big hole in your soda straw and trying to suck cola through it...ain't happening. If that lower intake opening was your only opening then you'd have something to worry about in an extreme case. You still get plenty of air volume, just not a vacuum that will draw water into the airbox.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:12 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 1500 4x4, 5.2L
Color: Flat Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
nicraage is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
Yep, saw that stuff at Lowe's when I was getting the stuff for mine. I went with RV sewer line, but they have all kinds of downspout PVC parts, drain hose, and fittings to work with there. I do not think you have to worry about water entry if you're mounting the opening down lower. With the other OEM opening in the fender well, you will not get any draw from the engine strong enough to pull water up that intake hose. It's like having a big hole in your soda straw and trying to suck cola through it...ain't happening. If that lower intake opening was your only opening then you'd have something to worry about in an extreme case. You still get plenty of air volume, just not a vacuum that will draw water into the airbox.
Yeah, I realize it wouldn't create the straw effect, if it were submerged, the air would just be drawn from the other air supply. I'm just not sure how much water it would take to do any damage. I can see water droplets being sucked up in a rain storm, would that be a hazard to be concerned with?