DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-14-2012, 09:26 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn Edition
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:137
mrboots will become famous soon enoughmrboots will become famous soon enough

Well damn, nevermind, just found my old post. Whoops
35% Tint, Flowmaster 40, Custom painted interior, Painted grill emblem, Custom CAI,6000k HID Fogs/6000k Grill lights, Custom bed LED's, Blue dash LED's, Engine bay/interior lighting, Custom audio, 4" Raptor Nerf Bars, Cooper Zeon LTZ's, Diablosport 93 oct. tune
Sponsored links
Old 03-14-2012, 11:33 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

Nice job there, mrboots. Yeah, I did a lot of cruising in the Lowe's aisles too while pondering this mod on mine. I looked at those heat/AC registers, and there is definitely potential there. I liked the PVC drain and downspout components because you can find different parts that go from round to square. In this pic here you can see that the square shaped piece could easily modded to fit into one of the grill or fascia areas at the front of the truck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010007.JPG (87.3 KB, 130 views)
Old 03-14-2012, 12:08 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

On some asking about smooth tubes for the intake hose before the airbox, there is another option. If you go to a Gates or similar industrial hose and belt store, you'll find radiator hose in all diameter sizes...I think even up to 6" if I recall. I know it's available in 4", as I've purchased it in the past for different projects...like a DIY carb intake hose on a dirt bike with an aftermarket carb. This stuff is sold in straight lengths. You can use PVC parts to make bends and such, or you can search through some of their inventory to find some molded hoses that might work without too much work. These kind of huge hoses are for bulldozers and other large, heavy machinery. The material is stiff enough to keep its shape but flexible enough to squeeze or bend a bit if needed.

I still contend that smooth or ribbed at this point in the intake is not an issue. Think about the odd shape and finish on the inside of the airbox itself. You want volume at this point, as flow isn't accelerating enough until it starts down the throttle body tube. Snrusnak, do have any source or link to any data about that TB tube info? I don't doubt it, but it would be cool to see it.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:49 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

No I don't really have anything to show. In school we did flow analysis in fluids and hydraulics classes and that dealt with fluids flowing through pipes. The application is a little different with fluids vs gases but similar still. Smooth pipe vs ribbed makes very little difference. What is more important is like you said, volume. So the pipe has to be sized large enough, but also not too large as the larger the diameter, the slower the velocity of the gas (or fluid) flowing through it.

As far as dyno results, I've seen them on LS1 camaro's where they replace the ribbed tube (like 6" long) from the airbox to the manifold with an aftermarket smooth one. You could probably look at ls1tech and dig around and find something there...

Something else to note that I remember and is sort of a long the same subject is that bends in the tube/pipe are considered minor losses. They have little effect since the intake and exhaust are somewhat pressurized. So if you have a straight tube vs a tube with three 90 deg bends in it, there is very little loss in flow.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:02 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I should also say that velocity isn't extremely important on an intake until you reach the individual ports/runners. It greatly accelerates at that point. Before that point you want large volume for the runners to draw from. Think of the whole area from the filter to the runners as "reserve air volume" for the runners to draw from.

There's a lot of science behind intake runner length/volume/diameter, manifold volume, etc. and I don't know a whole lot about it and how to size it, but I am pretty sure that the size of the tube, etc. after the TB isn't very critical, as long as it (including the filter and area it draws air from, and TB) are capable of flowing enough volume to supply the manifold with enough "reserve air volume" at any rpm...

Also, using too large of a TB is not nearly as counter productive with fuel injected vehicles as it was with over sized carbs on older vehicles. You can oversize a TB and not lose too much power if any at all (to an extent), it has something to do with the manifold's "reserve air volume" also, since there is not fuel involved at that point, you just add air to the manifold's "reserve", and the individual intake runners and how much volume they move and at what velocity are not affected by TB size.

Basically to sum all the intake discussion up, there's so many factors that you could calculate all the perfect sizes for everything, etc. for your entire life and still not get it "perfect". Basically the key is to provide a free flowing filter that is large enough to move enough air for the engine (IMO the stock filter is enough, but aftermarket is more and won't hurt). Next step is to have it draw cold air and enough of it (IMO stock draws cold air, but not enough of it from the fender well). The other stuff like ribbed vs smooth, etc. is minor and probably does more for appearance than anything.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:23 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram QC
Color: Deepwater Pearl
Rep:10
tclark is on a distinguished road

Well modded mine on Sunday, just in time for the massive rain storm we had that dropped over 15" of rain in about 3hrs on Monday. I removed the tube I ran down to the front bumper so I could drive thru the flood waters to get my family to safety. Water on the roads was around 2' deep but all is well. Gonna reinstall the tube so I can test out the results of the mod.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:10 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram rt
Trim Level: rt
Color: brilliant black pearl
Rep:1061
dodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud of

I have the k&n and i did this mod to the bottom of it BIG BIG improvement
Old 03-18-2012, 12:29 AM

Vehicle: 2006 4x4 qc hemi
Trim Level: Big horn
Color: Gray
Rep:10
Dudemanbrother is on a distinguished road

In the ribbed vs smooth debate... It's negligible the difference in air flow, the main reason you'd use smooth is because of turbulence in flex pipe. It will be quieter with smooth pipe but that's it. I don't think it's too loud and most people like to hear the air move at wot anyway. I did this a while back in my 06 when I modded the stock intake. I used an old GHL 3" plastic tube cai from my Gti and cut it to lay in the stock airbox. I cut an access in the lid so I have easy access to my k&n cone filter that sits in the stock airbox. I ran 3" flex as the 3rd gens are tight on clearance. I have toyed with the idea of firing up my hotbox and doing a custom 3" sch 40 piece but it'd be soley for aesthetic purposes. The flex works just fine.

Last edited by Dudemanbrother; 03-18-2012 at 12:31 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:15 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Crew Cab 1500 Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black Pearlcoat
Rep:19
blackpearldodge is on a distinguished road

Hey everyone,
Great post! This is a mod I'm seriously considering but first I have a few questions.
1. Would doing this mod void the warranty (Canadian, eh!)
2. Is there a part (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.) one can buy to put the unit back to (somewhat) stock? Just a way to "fool" the technician.
3. Are there any hp gains using a drop-in K & N air filter?
4. Does a K & N filter void the warranty, or cause other headaches? I had a K & N filter in my '08 Canyon (put in when truck was new). At 5000 km the dealer told me my throttle body was dirty, and that it was a direct result of the oils from the K & N filter. They tried charging me over $150 for cleaning, which I refused, saying the filter could not be the culprit. I did however remove the filter immediately after the dealer visit.
5. Should I go with an after-market CAI and do this mod, or is there just as much gain (?) to do this mod on the stock unit?
6. Are you all leaving the stock air opening open? I think in one picture I saw a "cover" over the stock air opening.

Thanks a bunch!
-Dave
Old 03-18-2012, 01:14 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Color: white
Rep:647
chefred112 is a name known to allchefred112 is a name known to allchefred112 is a name known to allchefred112 is a name known to allchefred112 is a name known to allchefred112 is a name known to all

it's not so much the oiled filter (but i don't use them for the exact reason)..but the blowby you get from the oil filler hose to airbox... I took that away by putting a crankcase filter on a hose coming from the oil fill tube.
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC SLT: 12.107 @ 113.960 MPH