DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-29-2012, 11:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb33 View Post
I haven't read all 17 pages, so forgive me if this has already been addressed.
I did this mod too and I can see and believe more air flows into the box, which I think is at least half the benefit of a real CAI.
I have an Ultraguage and it shows the IAT temp to be 20-35 degrees over the reported ambient air temp. Hardly "cold air intake" numbers. The 35 is in traffic and it lowers to 20-25 over ambient while cruising.
Does anybody have numbers on an factory made CAI?
That's good research there. I don't think this surprises me, because all these CAI's have their intake in close proximity to the vehicle. The engine/radiator radiates a lot of heat away from the engine bay. Maybe CAI's should be called, less-hot-air-intakes for a better truth-in-advertising claim...LOL! The homemade mod here is probably just as cool an air intake as any except a pure ram air model, and then it's only a bit cooler while the vehicle is moving. If I'm not too far off base, I think most of the aftermarket CAI's don't use much more than the OEM fender hole anyway...do they? I understand the Volant has a provided or optional duct hole that points down toward the bottom if I remember correctly...and maybe others.

Anyway, the air temp from any of these aftermarket or this homemade CAI is probably just about the same. I'm sure if the throttle body tube was attached directly to one of these huge aftermarket filters with no box, the under hood air temp would be dramatically higher, obviously. I doubt there's much difference from a good, true, aftermarket CAI or this homemade rig as it pertains to air intake temp.
Sponsored links
Old 07-05-2012, 11:36 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram
Trim Level: Long horn/sport
Color: brilliant black pearl
Rep:12
readster1 is on a distinguished road

well I got my muffler swap on tuesday flowmaster 40, since I have an average of 18L/100km that is a gain of about 6L/100km with the added air inlet to the air box and the new muffler,have to say that is a good improvement,have not changed my driving style still have a heavey foot even more so with the new rumble, happy happy happy
6" Pro comp lift,18" Fuel octain rims,Nitto trail grappler, custom CIA,Flowmaster 40,Catch can,Custom emblems,Debaged,Tinted 3rd.and tail lights,Painted headlights,Color matched grill,Painted engine cover,Color matched interior trim
Old 07-06-2012, 08:26 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram RC SB
Trim Level: Express
Color: Blue streak pearl
Rep:18
mark09sport is on a distinguished road

You can always insulate the crap out of the TB, inlet tube & box with reflectix & aluminum tape from Home Depot.
Its a pain to do but it definitely made my TB & intake mani cooler. You can touch it now without getting burnt!
2014 Ram Express 4x4 Reg cab Short bed 5.7, 8spd, 3.92 gears, Blue streak pearl with all options. 180 T stat, drop in, wrapped intake tube, 24" Mufflex, 2 1/2 lift, Black out ram emblems, Tail light tints.
More MODS to come!
Old 07-24-2012, 07:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram crew cab.
Trim Level: st
Color: Silver
Rep:10
Jayzsun is on a distinguished road

Airbox intake tube mod done!!!With a 4" aluminum flexible pipe and some pvc...love it...more responsive but i will definatly get my TB at the machine shop...
Old 12-23-2012, 10:47 PM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

Nice I like it i may be doing this to one of my future set ups, great work on the write up REPS for you.

Jeremiah
Discount Auto Performance

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!
Old 12-23-2012, 11:33 PM

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Express RC 2WD
Trim Level: Express Regular Cab
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:74
jmr will become famous soon enough

I can tell you the 4" duct really scoops the air because there are allot more insects laying in the bottom of the air box. lol

'14 RAM 1500 Express RC 2WD 3.6L 8SPD 3.55 W/LSD uConnect 5.0 Red Calipers, K&N Filter, 4" AirBox Intake Tube, Cabin Air Filter, Upper Glove Box, Hemi Dual Exhaust, Leather Steering Wheel w/Radio Controls, Mopar Bed Liner, Lund Genesis Tri-Fold Cover, 22MM OEM Rear Swaybar
Old 12-24-2012, 02:35 AM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr View Post
I can tell you the 4" duct really scoops the air because there are allot more insects laying in the bottom of the air box. lol
maybe fancy some type of a filter at the end of that duct just a minor one or some kind of a screen that would solve the bugs in the box issue, well atleast help it out a little bit.

Jeremiah
Discount Auto Performance

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!
Old 01-11-2013, 03:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Tan
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
TGarza21 is on a distinguished road

After reading this thread for the past couple of days finally did this mod and allready have seen improvements up .5 MPG and the truck seems more responsive to the go pedal.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:25 AM

Vehicle: 2012 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Rep:294
SoCal Ram is a jewel in the roughSoCal Ram is a jewel in the roughSoCal Ram is a jewel in the rough

Me too. Been reading this thread for days. From what I gather this stock intake with the DIY mod is just as good as a CAI for someone who is only going to do the "Big 3", Intake - exhaust - tuner. So I went ahead and bought a used airbox off Amazon, $58+ change shipped. The used airbox came with this intake hose/tube. Looks to be from a 4.7L or something Ram??? But it's real nice, it makes this mod look very OEM!!! Also bought the Airaid performance drop-in, dry filter ($56). Went to Home Depot looking and bought a few things. What ended up working for me were 2 x 3" PVC drain connectors (the black PVC, $20). There were/are 3 curved pieces to chose from, I used the shortest of the three at both ends of the intake tube. Used a 3.5" hole saw (I borrowed) and the PVC fit so perfect it was meant to be! The PVC did take some sanding to make the curve fit all the way down but it worked after a while. Anyway, I used the OEM intake tube on the end of the PVC coming out the air box and a second piece of PVC at the other end (Sorta like a scoop) to bring the intake tube off the metal frame (it was laying right on top and was obstructed) for better airflow. The intake tube was a very nice surprise. It has clamps on both ends. Clamped right to the box end, I had to duct tape the "Scoop" end a bit to make a tight clamp. This is it, my DIY CAI. Do I feel a difference or hear anything different, NO! Not a dam thing. At least I can feel I've done the best for my truck and with an exhaust and tuner I'll eventually reap the benefits of this DIY CAI. Thanks for the great thread, it was fun if nothing else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ditcai1.jpg (39.2 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg ditcai2.jpg (18.5 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg ditcai3pipe.jpg (19.2 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg ditcai4.jpg (21.6 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg ditcai5.jpg (21.9 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg ditcai6.jpg (22.8 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg ditcai7.jpg (20.8 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg ditcaipipe.jpg (18.1 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg ditcai3.jpg (19.1 KB, 79 views)
Old 05-05-2013, 10:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 ram laramie
Trim Level: leather
Color: silver
Rep:78
scottishtornado will become famous soon enough

I did this mod today and all I can say is thank you to the op. I dropped the pipe down behind the plastic where the tow hooks are, drilled lots of holes in the plastic to allow cooler air to come up the pipe which resulted in a more responsive throttle and a lot raspier note when dropping the hammer. Need to do the throttle body next and then a new exhaust.

Last edited by scottishtornado; 05-05-2013 at 10:47 PM.