DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-17-2011, 09:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:209
Barnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr View Post
The mod works, try putting your hand over the inlet end of the 3" tubing when the engine is running and you'll feel the air going into the engine.
This tells me that the original 3.5" x 4" snorkel in the airbox from the factory isn't a big enough inlet for the engine.
Not necessarily. What it does say is that the pressure drop from the added tube is LOWER than the intake path through the fender (stock path). That stands to reason since the air coming through the stock path has numerous turns and flow area changes to go through which all contribute to added pressure drop. The new intake path (I've added it to my Volant as well) is a straight shot directly into the air box. That's what makes it the preferred air path and allows you to feel the air flow.
Sponsored links
Old 12-17-2011, 04:59 PM

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Express RC 2WD
Trim Level: Express Regular Cab
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:74
jmr will become famous soon enough

Barnyard you are correct it's a more direct path...so why not make it bigger!!!

I super sized this mod by using the 4" aluminum tubing that Lowes sells. All that's
needed was to purchase a 4" x 8' aluminum tubing and in my case a 4" hole saw.

A 4" inch hole fits perfectly into the front left corner of the airbox, in my case it's drilled over the existing 3" hole.
The bigger tubing is not a problem to route either, it fits nicely on top of the wheel well liner just like the smaller tubing.
The tubing is a tight fit into the airbox so I just flared the end to hold it in the airbox. So no need for a flange to mount
the tubing to the airbox like the 3" had (it's a cheaper mod now). The wheel well liner holds the tubing in place anyway
once the airbox is back in the engine compartment.

'14 RAM 1500 Express RC 2WD 3.6L 8SPD 3.55 W/LSD uConnect 5.0 Red Calipers, K&N Filter, 4" AirBox Intake Tube, Cabin Air Filter, Upper Glove Box, Hemi Dual Exhaust, Leather Steering Wheel w/Radio Controls, Mopar Bed Liner, Lund Genesis Tri-Fold Cover, 22MM OEM Rear Swaybar

Last edited by jmr; 12-17-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:35 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

LOL!...after your last comments, I wondered how long it would take you to go to 4" or two 3 inchers. I wish there was a flow bench or dyno test to really tell how much this mod helps and how much aftermarket CAI's add. There almost has to be an improvement, but it would be great to qualify it absolutely. Nice work there.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:12 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram CC
Trim Level: SLT
Rep:10
Ram10tuff is on a distinguished road

great job looks great ani ill prob do this to mine but...... Be careful with how low and "open" the flange is in the front of the truck. I did drownd a chevy many years ago doing this exact thing. We were young and broke and i left my DIY CAI on the truck and it had rained real bad, hit a puddle and SWAMPPED my intake. The 4" allows alot of air in dont be scared to make a loop with the flex pipe. Also if you are really creative do it out of pvc. The flex ridges of silver flex disturb the air and slightly restrict it. great idea and thanks for doing the homework to find out 4" fits

thanks Ryan
Old 12-17-2011, 07:48 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram CC
Trim Level: SLT
Ram10tuff is on a distinguished road

If i remember correctly i did my last one out of pvc and used a 4" shower drain.It is perforated and i romoved the cover and put a piece of scotch brite behind cover. Worked like a dream.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:17 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright White
Rep:209
Barnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura aboutBarnyard has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr View Post
Barnyard you are correct it's a more direct path...so why not make it bigger!!!

I super sized this mod by using the 4" aluminum tubing that Lowes sells. All that's
needed was to purchase a 4" x 8' aluminum tubing and in my case a 4" hole saw.

A 4" inch hole fits perfectly into the front left corner of the airbox, in my case it's drilled over the existing 3" hole.
The bigger tubing is not a problem to route either, it fits nicely on top of the wheel well liner just like the smaller tubing.
The tubing is a tight fit into the airbox so I just flared the end to hold it in the airbox. So no need for a flange to mount
the tubing to the airbox like the 3" had (it's a cheaper mod now). The wheel well liner holds the tubing in place anyway
once the airbox is back in the engine compartment.

Yep - My Volant air box came with a 4" flange built in so this is the route I took (couldn't find black dryer hose at the time though!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram10tuff View Post
great job looks great ani ill prob do this to mine but...... Be careful with how low and "open" the flange is in the front of the truck. I did drownd a chevy many years ago doing this exact thing. We were young and broke and i left my DIY CAI on the truck and it had rained real bad, hit a puddle and SWAMPPED my intake. The 4" allows alot of air in dont be scared to make a loop with the flex pipe. Also if you are really creative do it out of pvc. The flex ridges of silver flex disturb the air and slightly restrict it. great idea and thanks for doing the homework to find out 4" fits

thanks Ryan
As long as you don't completely abandon the stock inlet you shouldn't be able to drown the engine (under NORMAL conditions). The pressure differential needed to suck water more than (2) feet up into the box is lot more than that obtained through the stock inlet. The water will effectively 'plug' your new hose and the engine will draw its air from the stock location until the water is gone and the lower tube is useable again.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:48 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

I was thinking the same thing as far as the ability to actually draw water all the way up the hose and into the intake tube. I know some Ford pickups used one or a pair of low mounted cold air intakes and actually did have some hydraulic lockups in the engine in high water crossings. However, I think the low intake was the only path into the airbox and engine, hence the engine vacuum did accomplish a soda straw effect. With one high and one low intake, I can't see how the engine is going to accomplish that same soda straw effect. It's also why I didn't see as much a potential ram air effect by taking the lower opening all the way to the front of the lower fake grill area. It does, however, seem to offer more available air for the engine to draw from right up until the restriction of the air filter size and/or the OEM air tube to the throttle body comes into play.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:31 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT Quad Cab
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
SilverHemi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to SilverHemi

bro this is just genious

Old 12-19-2011, 06:16 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Express
Rep:21
Hedghawg71 is on a distinguished road

Mine is dry as a bone right now. I just got through driving 40 miles in some soupy messy rain. Like With the bends in the tube and the other intake still opened you gotta be ******* deep in water for this to become an issue. If it bothers you, get a 3 inch rubber pipe plug and cover it up when it rains. I can't remember where I saw them exactly but I know they exist. You can tighten them with your hand as it had a wing nut/expansion setup kinda like a boat sump plug.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:58 AM

Vehicle: 2012 6.7 cummins 2500 mega cab
Trim Level: big horn
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:15
TheDon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHemi View Post
bro this is just genious
SilverHemi.....AMEN FOR RON PAUL!!!!! nice to see!!
2012 White Dodge ram 2500 6.7 Cummins HO. BDS 8'' long arm lift, Pure Performance track bar, FOX 2.0's, 20x10 Rockstars, 37" Toyo, BD steering brace, H&S tuner 175hp, H&S cooler delete, GDP Intake horn, boost tube & CCV delete, DPF/Cat delete, S&B CAI, AMP research steps. Timbren bump stops.